Which One: JEM 7VWH OR Jem 77VBK? Experiences? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Talking Which One: JEM 7VWH OR Jem 77VBK? Experiences?

OK I am looking to Buy Either:

JEM7VH (The White One)

Neck: 5pc JEM Prestige neck
Neck Type: JEM Prestige
Body: Alder body
Frets: 6105 frets
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl/ Abalone Vine
Bridge: Edge Pro bridge
NeckPU: DiMarzio® Evolution®(H) neck pu
MiddlePU: DiMarzio® Evolution®(S) mid pu
BridgePU: DiMarzio® Evolution®(H) bridge pu
HW Color: GD

OR

JEM77VBK (Black One)

Neck: 5pc JEM Prestige neck
Neck Type: JEM Prestige
Body: Basswood body
Frets: 6105 frets
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl/ Abalone Vine
Bridge: Edge Pro bridge
NeckPU: DiMarzio® Breed™(H) neck pu
MiddlePU: DiMarzio® Breed™(S) mid pu
BridgePU: DiMarzio® Breed™(H) bridge pu
HW Color: CH

I See Differences as:
Pick Ups are Different Evolution vs. Breeds & The Body Wood Basswood vs. Alder!

Do they both Play the same?
What is the differnence in Pick ups and their sound?
Do they both have scaolloped frets 21-24?

I like the Black one, but am drawn to the classic White, but want to know from anyone with experience WHAT THEY WOULD CHOOSE AND WHY? Or Help me understand the differences and how dramatic they really are.

Thanks so Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Re: Which One: JEM 7VWH OR Jem 77VBK? Experiences?

the breeds are great with basswoood I ALSO like the color of the vbk and the bindings on it

Last edited by alecmm61; 05-27-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: information adding
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Overall I do like the VWH better. Mainly for the neck profile & pups. However, I do like the newness & black color of the 77VBK.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I like the Black, but for some reason the White still is calling my name. I played it at the GC yesterday and it played great right off the shelf. I am going to see what happens. I have one locally I found, a 2006, that is pretty Mint and I will see how cheap I can get it.

What price is a decent "Limit price" on a Good 2006 JEM White? I mean $1,500??? If it goes for too much more I am might as well buy a new one, the White can be had for $2K and the Black basically the same.

Is it worth getting a new one for $500 more?????? Hmmmmmmmm

Maybe I will get Both... LOL

I have an Ernie Ball Music Man LUKE the Purple/Red Color with a Floyd and EMG's. Plays great but I am tired of the Baby Neck. I like the wider neck of the Ibanez. I also have an OLD 1987 RoadStar II that I just keep cause it was basically my first guitar and that plays decent for an older guitar. It si signed by Andy Timmons....

Thanks

Tex
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM

a mint or played white 7v goes for a about 1,500 to 2,000 depending on condition mintness
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM

To answer your question earlier, yes, both are scalloped frets 21-24. And, as you said again, the only major differences between the two are the basswood vs. alder and breeds vs. evolutions. Although, the JEM77VBK has that pearloid binding, which I like a lot.

The two should have the same neck profile, it's the same Prestige JEM neck.

Your major difference will be in the tone of the two. The Alder and Evolutions will have a more biting, brigher top-end sound and the Basswood and Breeds will give a stronger midrange growl.

Also check out DiMarzio's website for descriptions and sound clips of both sets of pickups, www.dimarzio.com; The Breed bridge and Evolution bridge models can both be found under the "High Output" section of "Humbuckers" and the Breed neck and Evolution neck models can both be found under the "Medium Output" section of "Humbuckers."

Basically, the Evolutions have a very shrill, high-end bite that is attributed with it's upper-mid spike. They are VERY loud pickups, are nuts with harmonics, and will definitely scream and burn. However, they are not forgiving pickups at all, and will uncover ANY mistakes you have.

The Breeds are much fatter, warmer pickups. They are based around late '50s PAFs, but only for warmth and sensitivity and the similarities end there. They are also hot pickups, but much more rounded out (and imho more versatile) and smoother.

Personally, I'd pick the Breeds.

Now, Alder is a very ... "tastes like chicken" kind of wood. It's a very even-sounding wood. You could play anything from country to death metal on these things (no joke). It is also a fairly light wood (especially compared to mahogany). A typical alder strat body weighs about five pounds I believe.

Basswood also light, it's extremely light; even lighter than alder I believe (although I also think that this can depend on which cuts of wood you are talking about; each cut is different). It's got a slight midrange growl to it that is a love-hate kind of thing. It was really popular in the '80s with shredders because of its light weight and its tone. The earliest JEMs were made out of basswood, and I believe all of the JSs are still made out of basswood. Ibanez also favors basswood for a lot of the RG series.

Out of these two woods, I prefer Alder. Although, I am a Fender guy all the way (always have been), and more so a Strat guy.

Between these two axes, I'd pick the JEM77VBK. Not only do I like the binding, but it's also different from the LOADS of JEM7VWHs out there (it's been Vai's main axe, and it's also been produced since '93 nonstop). Plus, imho the Breeds are a much more versatile and nicer-sounding pickup set than the Evolutions. This is all also just my opinion.

Oh, and that used VWH you were talking about? $1500 sounds a wee bit high for an '06 JEM, though it could (and most likely will) sell for that price. Unless it's DEAD mint and/or unplayed, you could probably talk him down to $1400, maybe even $1350 or $1300 if you're good.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM

I agree with ALL of City's advice. Go for the black one!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 PM

I'd take 77vbk anyday, firstly it doesn't have that IN YOUR FACE evolution bridge pickup (but I love the Evo neck and Evo2 pups), secondly I like basswood, if you shred a lot this wood is for you, thirdly there are lesser people using 77vbk compared to the 7v
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 AM

Id take the VBK just because the VWH is butt ugly.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 AM

Reviews: 12

having played both at SA that were hanging next to each other... the neck profile's are identical but sound wise, i was leaning towards the VBK's Breed's as it sounded, as City mentioned, "round".
Although if I were to get the 77VBK, I'd change the bridge pup to something else other than an Evo; but if I got the 7VWH, I'd change out the gold real fast. Personally, i'd find a VSBL but that's just me

Reg
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Reviews: 65

I have the 7vwh. I picked it exactly for the reasons given by the review above, as I prefer the more biting sound of the Alder+Evos.
It comes down to personal taste and I might get a VBK in the future for some of the more growly sounds.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Wow Great Replies Guys! Thansk so much! The funny thing is I like the black Better for looks but was still drawn to the White?? Go Figure

I never played the black one, but the white one played great and I am sure they both will play just fine.

The black looks sharp although I wish it came in colors, but it looks very classy! Oh who knows??? Maybe I will see if I get the white one for a good deeal. If not I might want to consider a little more the black one since it is calling my name a little more. I just wasn't listening because I was in a trance from the White Guitar.

You know it is a pretty guitar, but the Gold does kind of bug me. I am not sure if I think it looks beautiful or silly? Man...........This is tough.

BTW I play a lot of 80's type heavy guitar stuff but am very versatile and like all types of music, (I think my Andy Timmons AT300 had a Breed pick up in it?) but I do tend to hit a pinch harmonic pretty often and am usually what people call a shredder (with taste of course...LOL). Again I DO play clean stuff and rock and everything inbetween, but would be classified a shredder if that makes things easier. I like the guitar to Play Itself almost but I am very CLEAN Player and don't mind if you hear every mistake because I am not slopy at all in my execution.

Thansk Guys and I appreciate all the replies!

White or Black?????????????????????? Or maybe an RG Prestige.........LOL....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
(They are very nice looking guitars).

JEM #1

Tex

Last edited by TexasAxeSlinger; 05-28-2008 at 09:11 AM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAxeSlinger View Post
White or Black?????????????????????? Or maybe an RG Prestige.........LOL....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
(They are very nice looking guitars).

JEM #1

Tex
I'm sure JEM's are worth every penny, but I don't have a thing for signature guitars.

I was a Jackson fan my entire guitar life but the RG2550 changed that instantly. After upgrading pickups, adding locking studs and a good setup job, it probably plays as good as guitars that cost 2-3x more. In fact, I'm so hooked I'm considering getting an RG2570 soon. They're essentially the same guitar, with the exception of direct mounted pickups in the RG2570.

They also look good, my RG2550 is Galaxy Black with cosmo black hardware, and the RG2570 Vital Silver looks really hot too. I think I found my signature guitar in the 25X0 series
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM

I would go with the VBK because I really love the breeds, almost a compressed sound to them.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM

I'd go for the vbk every day and every night. I'wouldn't have tought, but it's a really more versatile guitar than the vwh

Tags
abalone vine , alder body , alder strat , andy timmons , breed bridge , bridge pup , cosmo black hardware , death metal , direct mounted pickups , edge pro bridge , evolution bridge , evolution bridge pickup , evolution neck , locking stud , mounted pickups , pinch harmonics , scalloped frets , signature guitar , strat body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to setup a jem 7vwh
will an original floyd rose fit into jem 7vwh?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode