One of those nights - ...grrrrrr...... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

One of those nights - ...grrrrrr......

Despite having a back spasm to end all back spasms, I worked last night. *

Started the night (as i usually do) on the BFP. *It's a little lighter than the UV. *I was wincing in pain every few minutes, but having a good time nonetheless. *My voice, which had been a bit frayed last week was back and strong.

About 2/3 into the set, I'm about to start playing a solo (i think it was on my ZZ top medley) and I broke not one, but TWO strings :shocked:. *The A and the D, no less! *Fortunately, I was able to finish the solo on an organ sound on my keyboard. *My singer handed me the UV and I finished out the set on it, wincing slightly more with pain.

I changed the two strings in the break and started with the BFP again. *The second set comes and I'm less than halfway into the set and I go to start the solo on "Brick House' - first bend - :shocked:POP*:shocked: the E string goes. *Finish the solo on organ and the singer hands me the UV again.

Of course, the third set had a lot of new rock stuff in it, so I ended up playing the UV for half the set anyway, just because I needed the low notes. *Ugh.

At the end of my last gig, I popped a D on my UV - thank god I didn't pop a UV string after the BFP strings - I woulda had to stop the set! *Fortunately, that hasn't happened....YET.

sorry - had to vent. *I feel much better now.
~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:26 AM

One of those nights

Time to buy another guitar as back!

That is far too unlucky...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:29 AM

One of those nights

It sounds that you recovered nicely from all the unfortunate incidents. *That is the mark of a true professional. *I hope you back gets better.
Out,
GP *
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:31 AM

One of those nights

You broke 2 STRINGS AT ONCE!!! *Good job man!!! *I see you've got a hachet hand just like me. I get picked on by the rest of the band all the time because I break strings a lot too.
I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone!!!! * *
Hope your back feels better though...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
One of those nights

Vent away Kenny

We all have those night where nothing goes right especially when we're not at out best.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

One of those nights

PS: before anyone thinks there's a bridge problem at the root of my string breakage, it's not. *the strings should have been changed or pre-broken prior to the gig. *I just haven't had the time or energy to do it.

Pre-Break: verb:
1. the preventative-maintenance process of renewing the life of a string. *Done by someone who doesn't have time, money and/or energy to change strings every week or two.

2. The process involves unlocking the frequently broken strings (E, B and D for me), pulling them from the bridge saddle, clipping about an inch off the end and then pulling some down from the peg and plugging it back in, thereby having a different part of the string at the stress point.

3. Gives the string a second (and sometimes, in rare cases, a third) life

4. provides player with peace of mind that he can attempt whammy-bar abuse at a gig with reduced fear that something's going to pop.

Does anybody else here 'pre-break' strings?

~K
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:05 PM

One of those nights

I always "pre-break" my strings if the strings are fairly new. Saves time over a complete string change.

I once broke strings on four guitars in one set (I only brought five guitars). I had to switch two guitars during one song. I finally ended up with my only non-tremelo guitar, a Les Paul.
After that night, I changed all of my strings to 10's.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:37 PM

One of those nights

That is a really good idea. Pre-break!!! That would save me a fortune on strings!!!
Thanks for the tip Kennydoe....I LOVE THIS SITE.....I WEAR MY JEMSITE SHIRT WITH PRIDE!!!!
And your right, there is nothing wrong with your guitar, you just play too hard. I had the saddle on my Les Paul filed down a bit thinking there were burrs in it, but I still broke strings. About 2 or 3 a gig on average. I think using thinner picks would help too.
PRE-BREAK !!!! * I love it. :thumbsup:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

One of those nights

Quote:
Rockstar on 12:37 pm on April 12, 2002
That is a really good idea. Pre-break!!! That would save me a fortune on strings!!!
Thanks for the tip Kennydoe....I LOVE THIS SITE.....I WEAR MY JEMSITE SHIRT WITH PRIDE!!!!
And your right, there is nothing wrong with your guitar, you just play too hard. I had the saddle on my Les Paul filed down a bit thinking there were burrs in it, but I still broke strings. About 2 or 3 a gig on average. I think using thinner picks would help too.
You just have to make sure you leave a lot of 'wind' on the top end when you put the strings on. *I usually snip the balls off <shudder> and leave about 2 inches at the top end of the E and B string before i start winding. *The G doesn't matter as much to me - I don't think i've ever broken a G. *The wound strings you have to put a bit more thru because not as much will fit on the peg since they're thicker.

For the record...I used to break a lot more stings a LOT more when i was using .011s with my floyd rose. *I break far fewer and less often using .010s. *It's not as much about how hard you pick as it is the general nature of the floyd bridge - it's just the constant stretch/release of the string(s) at the saddle that string weakens them ~ and will .011s, there's a lot more tension there.

I also break fewer strings on my UV. *Can't explain that at all - maybe I just don't play it quite as much or maybe it's something to do with the routing behind the bridge not being as deep - I don't abuse the bar as much on that guitar.

~Kenny
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:07 PM

One of those nights

I remember when I saw Jeff Beck a couple of years ago (5th row!). At the end of the set, which closed with "Big Block", he strummed the open E chord to get things started and BAM, three or four strings snapped. All the guitar-players around me in the audience just kinda stared. His tech handed him another back-up strat, he strummed the E a couple of times and BAM! same thing again. I can't imagine how hard he has to abuse those strings during a set with NO pick to warrant breaking them like that. Maybe the tech wasn't on top of things, or Jeff's attack was pretty heavy that night. Fortunately, the 3rd strat worked like a charm and the set finished without any further incident. It can happen to the best of 'em!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:12 PM
deleted username

One of those nights

You guys need to see Kenny play live!
$5 says the switch between BFP and UV was not audibly noticable.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 06:29 PM

One of those nights

I think it was the gold trem on your FP that was giving you the troubles.
Sounds as though you handled yourself well through the string breakage probs. *Sorry to hear about your back, though. :-( *Hope it's feeling better soon, man!
Peace.

Alden : )
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:08 AM

One of those nights

Do you guys remember the strings (GHS?) that were reinforced at the saddle end and they also had a wad of flattened metal instead of the string ball?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 01:54 AM

One of those nights

Quote:
kennydoe on 3:04 pm on April 12, 2002
Quote:
Rockstar on 12:37 pm on April 12, 2002
You just have to make sure you leave a lot of 'wind' on the top end when you put the strings on. *I usually snip the balls off <shudder> and leave about 2 inches at the top end of the E and B string before i start winding. *The G doesn't matter as much to me - I don't think i've ever broken a G. *The wound strings you have to put a bit more thru because not as much will fit on the peg since they're thicker.

For the record...I used to break a lot more stings a LOT more when i was using .011s with my floyd rose. *I break far fewer and less often using .010s. *It's not as much about how hard you pick as it is the general nature of the floyd bridge - it's just the constant stretch/release of the string(s) at the saddle that string weakens them ~ and will .011s, there's a lot more tension there.

I also break fewer strings on my UV. *Can't explain that at all - maybe I just don't play it quite as much or maybe it's something to do with the routing behind the bridge not being as deep - I don't abuse the bar as much on that guitar.

~Kenny

What kinda uv do you have, kenny?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

One of those nights

Quote:
wheresthebeef on 1:54 am on April 13, 2002

What kinda uv do you have, kenny?
'99 PBK.
~K

Tags
floyd rose , gold trem , jeff beck , les paul , string breakage , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode