The only universe in production - UV777BK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

The only universe in production - UV777BK

why is there only one in production and why are people selling their universe for such a dramatic drop in price of even 50 percent off the store price when it is in perfect condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 12:13 AM

The only universe in production

I'll give a few opinions here...but first let me say that I'm a UV777BK owner and proud of it, and it's an instrument I love.

1. *The retail price is way too high. *for $1500 or even $1700 as I've seen it in GC, it's still a production line guitar. *Nothing handmade here.

2. *7 string guitars are going out of style

3. *It's a very small market - and the 'kids' who are generally making music with a 7 string aren't in the market for a high-end guitar - the money just isn't there.

4. *Those who want them (and have the means), buy them - but there aren't that many of us. *And those of us that have them, don't have much need for two of them.

5. *Customization is a bit harder. *How many different 7 string p'ups are available? *5? *sure, S. Duncan will make you one, but you'll have to sell your firstborn to pay for it. * There are literally THOUSANDS of options for 6 string pickups.

And as far as i know, there are exactly 2 single coils for 7 string. *The one that comes in the UV and the Anderson one that i found and stuck in mine.

Just a few of the answers to your questions. *Maybe somebody else has more insight.
~Kenny
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 5

it also doesn't help that Vai is rarely seen with one. There's a reason that a JEM7VWH commands such a good resale value. *I've seen mint 7VWH's go for the price I bought mine dead mint new out of the box. *The reason? *Vai plays them constantly. *People know it as Vai's guitar. *I would imagine that the majority of folks walking through GC see a JEM with the handle in it and say yeah, that's Steve Vai's guitar. *I'm not sure the product affiliation is as concrete with the UV.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 11:49 pm on Nov. 7, 2001
it also doesn't help that Vai is rarely seen with one.
I ponder that thought all the time. He hasnt played in UV live in......I'd have to guess at saying maybe the Sex and Religion tour?? So we're talking 8 years?? I'm surprised Ibanez hasnt said "please, do us a favor and play one every once in a while!!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 06:16 PM

I agree that Vai is rarely seen with a Universe and that might hinder the sales. However he is posing with one in the December 1999 issue of Guitar Player. It is the new one. That is the only time I have seen him with a new UV though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 09:51 PM

There's a pic of him holding one in the booklet for the UZ cd.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 01:20 AM

I'll ask this here so I don't have to start a new thread- How much control does ibanez have over artist models like the universe? Could ibanez reissue the uv7pwh regardless of whether Steve uses one now simply because it was already "blessed" once into production almost 10 years ago, or would they have to seek his permission?

Tags
steve vai , string guitars , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode