Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
The only universe in production
I'll give a few opinions here...but first let me say that I'm a UV777BK owner and proud of it, and it's an instrument I love.
1. *The retail price is way too high. *for $1500 or even $1700 as I've seen it in GC, it's still a production line guitar. *Nothing handmade here.
2. *7 string guitars are going out of style
3. *It's a very small market - and the 'kids' who are generally making music with a 7 string aren't in the market for a high-end guitar - the money just isn't there.
4. *Those who want them (and have the means), buy them - but there aren't that many of us. *And those of us that have them, don't have much need for two of them.
5. *Customization is a bit harder. *How many different 7 string p'ups are available? *5? *sure, S. Duncan will make you one, but you'll have to sell your firstborn to pay for it. * There are literally THOUSANDS of options for 6 string pickups.
And as far as i know, there are exactly 2 single coils for 7 string. *The one that comes in the UV and the Anderson one that i found and stuck in mine.
Just a few of the answers to your questions. *Maybe somebody else has more insight.