Operation unknown has begun - my UV conversion project! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Operation unknown has begun - my UV conversion project!

Well, yesterday in a fit of boredom, my customization of my UV began. *Less than 20 hours ago it was a 1990 UV7BK, perfectly playable, just a little rough around the edges. * It is now on it's way to becoming the UV that never was
UV777VSK
so far the body has been stripped, filled and primed, and the frets are pulled. *Today the monkey grip gets cut into it, and the flourescent pink vine inlay may get started. *It will still have the bright green pickups as I saw a JEM777SK with green pickups and it looked hot. *But the body is going shocking pink with a matched headstock and a LNG trem cavity
As soon as it looks like anything, I'll have pics up!!!
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 07:59 PM

Operation unknown has begun

RIP, beautiful guitar...we hardly knew ye
~Kenny
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 08:21 PM

Cool! *Have fun with it. *The 7BK is possibly the most owned UV of all IMO. *I think if you can trade in a guitar that's "a little rough around the edges" for one that you'll really really like, go for it! *I think everyone should have their own custom guitar, just cuz they'll be happier with it.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 09:47 PM

Please keep us fledgling luthiers up to date on the progress and problems. It sounds like a fun project. You could make it a learning experience for those of us that are less blessed with craftsman skills if you have the time. Are you actually doing your own inlay work?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll be doing my own inlay work. *But this time around I'm doing it with technology man! *I've done it the old tried and true way, you know, hand cut pieces into a hand routed neck. *Works really good, but, decided to try something new.
CNC milling machine to cut all the cavities in the neck, the actual inlay pieces will first be cut by hand, then CAD drawn to program the milling machine, then the mill takes over, pieces in, finished off flush and polished up.
Now, my question is, (looking for opinions here) *
For the vine, what do you think would look better, a flourescent pink vine, like Ibanez did, you know, pink paper under the plastic inlay, or, I found some abalone that has a very pink colour to it, lots of pink and blue actually, and I've been thinking about using it instead, what do you think?
Jeremy
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:53 AM
Vendor

If I was going to give the effort, it would have to be shell or stone inlays.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:05 AM

Go for the abalone man! *It'll look really cool!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:40 AM

Agreed… Plastic just doesn’t seem fitting after the labor of cutting the neck yourself.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 01:53 PM

[b]And the cround showts "ABALONE ABALONE!!!" yet another time.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 1

Although the masses are full of asses, I agree, abalone man ! I think that will add a subtle touch of panache' that you can't buy off the shelf.

Bamm
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 5

It would be especially hot looking if you could use the same kind of abalone for inlay...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 1

binding of the same stuff, Hmmmmm?
Bamm
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:11 AM

Reviews: 2

Where are you getting access to a CNC machine might I ask? Your a machinist right jeremy?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from megawzrd on 5:11 am on Mar. 21, 2001
Where are you getting access to a CNC machine might I ask? Your a machinist right jeremy?

Well, the fact that my shop has a couple of them does simplify the task. *hehe
Only problem is, I just took on a project at work that's going to have the CNC mill tied up for a few days, so maybe this weekend the inlay will get started.
Jeremy
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from kennydoe on 7:59 pm on Mar. 18, 2001
RIP, beautiful guitar...we hardly knew ye
~Kenny
Hey Kenny, just so you don't hate me for this, the UV7BK is my favorite of the UV's, I'd probably even trade my 2000 UV777BK for a dead mint UV7BK, but the previous owner to this particular one didn't baby it the way I would have and it was in need of a refinsh anyway as well as frets. *And, I'm just not the kind of guy that can go through the effort of refinishing anything back to original. *And since the SK was my favorite of all Jems, and I don't have one of those, I figured, what the hell, might as well do it in a colour I've never seen on a UV before.
Jeremy

Tags
beautiful guitar , custom guitar , david gilmour , monkey grip , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode