opinions on the jem777sk - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

opinions on the jem777sk

i just wana here what you guys have to say about it (and not about the colour or how it fades) i was thinkin along the lines of how it sounds and plays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:02 AM

I have an 88 SK that plays AND sounds fantastic!! Out of my 5 JEMS that and the DBK are my main players. I love the maple neck and the PAF pro's sound killer. Neck wise out of these two guitars are night and day. The SK (fattest neck) and the DBK (thinnest neck) but I really love the TONE of the SK... If you get a chance to pick one up, you won't be dissappointed!!!!! And yes, mine did fade a LITTLE but it still looks cool.....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:03 PM

I think it's great, too. It was my second Jem. My favoite fact about this one is the date I got her: 7/7/97. There was also a rainbow on my way back to bring her home. It was sold to me in a really cool hot-pink Levy's gig-bag with a fuoroescent green pocket on the front and trim around the straps. It, too is slightly faded but very evenly and still bright. Really, it's only noticeable when you remove the pickguard or the truss rod cover. In home incandescent lighting, it seems a slight bit darker on the back edge of the contour but that could be the way the light hits it (this one stays at home). Anyway, it plays and feels great. The necks back then were more of an oil-like finish which gave the necks a more silky, unfinished feel. Mine also seems to have the volume control a little loser to the bridge pickup which I've never noticed before on my other Jems. I don't play my SK and LNG as frequently as some of the others and never compared the two for that. I'm not sure if that was a spec of the older Jems and I don't have any reason to believe a new pickguard was put on.

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:28 PM

I really dig my SK too, though not a fan of the PAF's, it feels great, it does sound better than my DY, but I think the DY's pickups are just a little closer to shot than the SK, time for new ones I think.........

hmmmmm, neon guitars with neon Evo's??? SCHWING!!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:44 PM

they look pretty bad..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:56 PM

I actually swapped the pickups ot on my RG-550DY with EVO's. I custom ordered them in Green & Yellow and Yellow & Green. The middle pickup is a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues which I replaced the cover with a green P/U cover I had purchased in a pack of three for spares at an earlier time. Th pickups look a bit like the pattern on the UV777GR. Sounds great but a bit bright.

Mike 777 Haug
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
hmmmmm, neon guitars with neon Evo's??? SCHWING!!!!!
"WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:13 PM

I put green PAF Pros in my DSY before I sold it, IMHO it's a much better color combination. I always thought green pickups would look fnatastic in an SK...

As far as playability goes, the original 777s are very nice guitars. Yhe necks are a bit more rounded than the newer models, and they have larger frets. I think they sound better than some of the new models because PAF Pros are better suited to the tonal characteristics of the basswood.

All in all, it's ice cream. Play one. If you like it, buy it. :-)

~d~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 07:11 PM

Green blaze's in my UV777VSK???? hehehe

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:42 PM

WOW! Jeremy!

That's one of the coolest UV's I've ever seen.

BOIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:47 PM

Good to hear from you again "D" I saw that at Jemfest '99. It looked very cool, too.

I agree with you, based on the mixing of colors on the 777 line, you would think Ibanez would contrast the SK body with green PAF Pros at the Time. I don't think that DiMarzio had yellow pickups available at that time but that would probably make the guitar look too Barbie -LOL!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurich
they look pretty bad..
No no!!!! They look so awfull they go negative and wrap around into coolness! I am semi obsessed with a neon coloured guitar , my bass player and guitarist were lost for words

Tags
bridge pickup , maple neck , paf pro , paf pros , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode