opinions on the JS1000? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

opinions on the JS1000?

Hi,

To those who own one...'how does he go?' so to say...
And do they all have the multi-radiused fretboard?
Only JS i ever played was a JS3...which was awefully nice.

Trying to get one second hand but that they seem to be hard to come across here in the Netherlands....same with the 777BK..you americans are a lucky bunch o folks..those guitars seem to be everywhere second hand in the US..ggg

Cheers
Willem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
opinions on the JS1000?

these are a great 'utility' satch axe. Nothing fancy, but a quality guitar usually at a great price... especially here in the USA. The quality on all the JSs (except the korean ones) are the same, short of the paint... much like the JEMs... glen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:37 PM
Vendor

opinions on the JS1000?

All post 98' JS1000's have the multi radiused board, I think that was your main question?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

opinions on the JS1000?

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 9:37 am on Aug. 8, 2001
All post 98' JS1000's have the multi radiused board, I think that was your main question?
Yeah...i would like a multi radius board and was wondering cause with the low availability of used ones here i might end up buying a new one...and curious about the general build quality but not too worried about that.

cheers
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 06:11 AM

opinions on the JS1000?

Willem,
I had an JS-1000 for a while, it's a sweet axe. Plays very smooth, and sounds great.
If you would like one, try calling Schreeven Muziek in Nijmegen, that's were I traded my JS for a Jem. You have a good change that it's still there. It's a *white one, in superp condition (I only had it for 6 months or so).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

opinions on the JS1000?

Hoi Jeroen,

I'll call them right away after havinf pressed submit on this one...thanx!!
If i may ask....why the switch to the JEM?...24 frets?..neck?

cheers,
Willem.

Quote:
Quote: from Jeroenn on 12:11 am on Aug. 11, 2001
Willem,
I had an JS-1000 for a while, it's a sweet axe. Plays very smooth, and sounds great.
If you would like one, try calling Schreeven Muziek in Nijmegen, that's were I traded my JS for a Jem. You have a good change that it's still there. It's a *white one, in superp condition (I only had it for 6 months or so).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 09:34 AM

opinions on the JS1000?

Both. And looks, sounds. The JS is rather heavy.
And I'm a little guy, with little hands, so....
Jem necks are more comfortable for me. Altough there isn't much difference in the VWH and JS neck, I think.
The All Access neck joint is a big improvement, though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

opinions on the JS1000?

Hoi,

A VWH now eh...nice:)
Yeah...the all access necks are nice.
Anways...just called and off course...t has been sold this week...sigh.

Cheers,
Willem

Quote:
Quote: from Jeroenn on 3:34 am on Aug. 11, 2001
Both. And looks, sounds. The JS is rather heavy.
And I'm a little guy, with little hands, so.... :)
Jem necks are more comfortable for me. Altough there isn't much difference in the VWH and JS neck, I think.
The All Access neck joint is a big improvement, though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 09:44 AM

opinions on the JS1000?

That sucks.

You don't have an e-mail adress?
I have a Jem7 dbk for sale if that's an option.
Feel free to contact me if you want to test drive it..
[email protected]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 09:58 AM

opinions on the JS1000?

You don't think there's a big difference between a JS neck and a JEM neck??!!!??!! *Uh... *A JS neck is a lot like a strat (think, narrow, tiny frets) neck. *A JEM neck is more like an Ibanez neck (thin, flat, wide, decent sized frets). *

If you have small hands, the JS neck is better suited to the job because you won't have to stretch as much to play chords. *I have short fingers as well (plus I'm missing about 1.25 cm from my left ring finger) but I have been playing Wizard influenced necks for a long time so for the chords I can't form properly I just do partial chords.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 10:04 AM

opinions on the JS1000?

Well, having played both JS necks and JEM necks, plus a couple of wizzards, I feel, think or even know for sure that I'm more precice (sp?) and faster, more comfortable on the Jem/Wizzards. In my personal opinion, two aspects are important for this: The thin neck of the jem/wizzard, and the ebony on my VWH and custom Jem. If this is the real reason, I really don't know. But that's how I feel.

So. I would defenitly love to try a Jem 90 or Jem 10. I think I would play on my best on those (all in realativity off course, 'cause I play like crap anyway.)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 08:50 PM

opinions on the JS1000?

Quote:
Quote: from willem on 12:10 pm on Aug. 8, 2001
To those who own one...'how does he go?' so to say...
Well, he/she/it goes very nicely!

At first it was awkward, cos I used to be a Les Paul devotee, but I adjusted quickly - beautiful neck!

Mine's a JS1000 BTB *(view and hear mine here) and looks and sounds and feels great.

I've had some problems with the trem, nothing major but still annoying (doesn't always go back to centre after use).

I would recommend anyone to try one. *Very versatile (coil-tap works great - the pots aren't best quality though). *Also, the BTB finish is different on each guitar - which means you'd be owning a unique looking instrument!

I'm still very happy with mine. *
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

opinions on the JS1000?

hi,

Funny, i *think it's the other way around...

I have serious long fingers/hands.
And thin necks usually cramp up my thumb.
I think one of the main differences is radius, the JEM neck is nicely flat making a very low action possible without the strings running dead when to push up so it plays lighter....downside is that pushing up is actually harder.
The high frets also make playing lighter because you don't have to push the string as 'deep', but it's at the expense of sound.
Both necks are the same fret spacing, standard 'fender' spacing...25.5" from bridge to nut...or something..can't remeber exactly.
Les pauls is 24.75 ".
(One of the major reasons why a fender and a les paul sound so different...and why a les paul is easy on the hands.)
And i bet width wise the JS and JEM neck don't differ a lot either...if they differ at all

Maybe this is all really personal but with my hands i'm a lot more comphy on a thicker rounder neck with a radius of around 10"
One of the reasons i'm not really hot for a JEM, although i do like their sound.
On the other hand it has that AANJ....which is nice.

The best neck i personally ever played on was the MM E.van Halen model neck.
That was like pure liquid playing.
Couldn't afford one back then, but seriously no joke...i was in a shop playing it and had to put it away after 10 minutes because it just played toooooooooooo sweet..and i knew i couldn't take it home:)

Cheers.

Quote:
Quote: from lgascoig on 3:58 am on Aug. 11, 2001
You don't think there's a big difference between a JS neck and a JEM neck??!!!??!! *Uh... *A JS neck is a lot like a strat (think, narrow, tiny frets) neck. *A JEM neck is more like an Ibanez neck (thin, flat, wide, decent sized frets). *

If you have small hands, the JS neck is better suited to the job because you won't have to stretch as much to play chords. *I have short fingers as well (plus I'm missing about 1.25 cm from my left ring finger) but I have been playing Wizard influenced necks for a long time so for the chords I can't form properly I just do partial chords.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 11:57 PM

opinions on the JS1000?

JEM and JS necks both are common to 6105 frets.
As far as neck size affects playability, the wizard is so thin and wimpy I can't stand it. It can easily warp in climate change and you lose tone through it. The JEM and JS neck are already small enough. *They're very similar. Jem necks are flatter and wider and JS necks are rounder. Neither will affect a players ability to play fast for whatever.

Where is email notification of replies button gone?!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 02:05 PM

opinions on the JS1000?

Quote:
Quote: from YngVaiTriani on 11:57 pm on Sep. 29, 2001
Where is email notification of replies button gone?!
I was wondering the same thing. Click here.

-Justin

Tags
access neck joint , custom jem , high frets , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , les pauls , neck joint , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode