Opinions on Universe - Need opinions on guitar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on Universe - Need opinions on guitar

I figure this is the best place to ask, well I will be getting a new guitar in the coming months and the Universe has caught my eye. I don't know much about it so if you guys could tell how you like it and how it compares to other high-end instruments, such as Gibson, PRS, and those types. Also if anyone has had a bad experience I would like to know that as well. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:14 PM

Opinions on Universe

Hello Given to Fly,

You've definately come to the right place! *These guys here know everything, and are always willing to share the knowledge.

I had a UV that I didn't hold on to, and now I regret it. *The neck was super comfortable and fast. *Kinda tough for thumb-over chords, and it takes just a little while to get used to that low B string...but its well worth it! *That guitar opens up loads of possibilities. *Top notch electronics, AANJ, and looks to die for, the UV777BK is my favorite, and widely available. *If you've got the dough and time, search for a UVMC. *Check out the gallery section for pics of ALL the universes! *And good luck!

Chris

(Edited by HIS ROYAL DARKNESS at 11:15 pm on Sep. 18, 2001)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:57 PM

Reviews: 12
Opinions on Universe

Aside from the obvious, the Universe is a very different guitar from a PRS or a Gibson even. All are great guitars but the Universe is the most versatile out of the whole lot.
If you think about it, most high-end Gibson's or PRS's are well over $2000 (correct me if i'm wrong), especially if they're signature models. A used Universe costs about half of that price and with that, you get a top notched guitar that beats the competition.
Of course, depending on the kind of Universe you get, I prefer the early made ones due to the thin neck. The UV777BK in particular is slightly "fatter" than the original Universe necks. It's advantage however is the All Access Neck Joint.

Reg
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:06 PM
rvj

Opinions on Universe

You can get a new UV for about half of what a nice Gibson or PRS will cost. But they are completely different. Not even close if you ask me. The UV is more versatile tone wise. Have you even noticed that the UV's are seven strings? I don't believe that PRS makes them, and I think Gibson has a few in the cheap line. But, NO TREMS!!! Do some research and play all three before coming to a conclusion.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 04:30 AM

Opinions on Universe

How it compares? A totally different animal I'd say. There is something about them, they are just quality instruments. Suprisingly easy to play, they open up a whole new world and once used to it then they are only marginally more taxing to play than a 6string. It also forces you to improve your technique with regard to left hand position, which has benefits playing a 6string.

Aside from all that, it has a very good trem as well. A nice range of sounds from the pickups and just looks "different" from the run of the mill guitar, so it will stand out. The UV777BK is gorgeous, and the older ones all have their own character. If you are worried about not having flame maple/different woodsorts, then consider this: It'll still be cheaper to buy a second hand UV and get a completely new body made to order for it. There are several places that will do this. You can also set it up to play like a dream easily. This is a high end guitar no problem, it just feels like it.

I have had nothing but good experiences with my UV7BK, and when my first one got stolen i went straight out and bought another one. Have a go at playing all the models you're interested in, and then have a think and make a decision. If you play the UV, do remember that it takes some time to get used to playing one (although not that long )

Hope this helps,

James
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 05:28 AM

Opinions on Universe

After just two days of owning one, i maybe am not in the best position to give an opinion, but on my (limited) experience of them, it is hard to see any of my other guitars coming out to play for a long while....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:36 AM

Opinions on Universe

it's like comparing red apples to green apples.

I don't know how anybody here would be able to give you an honest opinion since you haven't told us what kind of style(s) you play and what you intend to use the guitar for. *

I love my UV (I replaced all the pickups- It does just what I want it to do on my gigs - It's got a great gain-y lead sound and a great cutting clean sound. *The PAF-7 I put in gives me an excellent Strat tone.

But that's just me and my guitar. *

What do you have now and what are your likes/dislikes about it? *Maybe that'd give us a better idea to help you find what you're looking for.

~Kenny
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:22 PM

Opinions on Universe

My opinion is biased. I love UVs. The purchase of my first one changed music for me, forever.

The necks are nice and thin from back to fret board. IMO, the body style and head stock is very attractive, as is a Jem. The Whammy is awesome and stays in tune. And there are a few varieties to choose from… For example, my UV777PBK has binding, chrome pick guard, and large frets. MY UV77MC has no binding on neck or body, but has a beautiful swirl and small frets.

I am satisfied with the pickups in both, but considering a change to something hotter for the PBK, my main player.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on Universe

I am aware that the UV is a seven string guitar. Also I was looking more to how they compare to a Gibson or PRS or any other high-end guitar really by tone. how well it was built, and things such as that. *High end Fenders, Gibsons, PRS's, Hamers are all high quality guitars and made with excellent precision I believe. So I wanted to know if UV's are made just as well or close to at least. I play jazz, classical, Vai-type rock. Sorry if I was unclear about something. Hopefully this will help you out. And also how they compare to other seven strings company's make.(Carvin, Jackson,etc...) as well as to how they compare to to six string guitars.(quality and such) I would be switching over if I got a UV.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:37 PM

Opinions on Universe

I am perfectly pleased with the quality. From a quality point of view and excluding the custom shop models, the UV is top-o-the-line for Ibanez.

I found it to be one of the easiest 7-string guitars to play. I come from a Gibson, Hamer background. I still find my Les Paul easier to play when I do my old stuff, but the UVs make me play different and are easier for the more modern styles. That is, of course, partially due to the fact that it is a 7-string, but the neck and body play a part as well.

I also think the sustain is very good for a guitar with a Whammy system.

Negatives?? Sorry, I don’t have any right now.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:36 AM
rvj

Opinions on Universe

Bob, is that your UV posted up by your name? That is probably the coolest looking UV I've ever seen. My personal favorite. Personally I don't own a UV yet, but I have a few nice Jems that are out of this world. The overall quality is right up there with other manufacturer's high end stuff. I'm also from a Gibson background, and I have a Parker too. I've always played neck thru guitars, until I bought my first Jem. Now I play my Jems exclusively. I've tried a few other 7-strings and I feel the UV is the way to go. Given To Fly, I highly recommend the Ibanez line. You won't be dissappointed. --rvj
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 06:06 PM

Opinions on Universe

I own a UV777BK. *I have owned high end fenders, gibsons, parkers, old strats, carvins, blah blah... *You will not be disappointed with a new UV. *Fit and finish are top notch. *Mine is simply stunning, the binding just glows and the pyramids just set it all off. *It is the favorite of all guitars I have ever owned. *Carvins and parkers are arguably the best playing instruments made, and the carvin prices easily place them in the best bang for the buck catagory. *But they, like parkers, are extremely sterile. *Not sure if its the pickups or what, just hard to put your finger on. *The UV feels like an organic living breathing being. *It just drips tone, and thats with stock pickups. *I love it. *

The PRS's and highend fenders and LPs of the world are great guitars, they are just different, and very expensive to boot. *The UV gives you the best versatility, tone, and range options with the added string. *It will open up avenues that were not available on just six strings. *We are all biased, ask the same question to PRS enthusiasts and UV will be crap second rate guitars (athough we all know that's bunk).
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 04:23 AM

Opinions on Universe

I love my UV777BK, so I have to say get one! *I really like the new doors it has opened for me....I didn't think that it would make much difference, but last night, I noticed that after a month of playing 7 strings, I really DO incorporate a lot of lower notes and runs into my playing than ever before....ESPECIALLY on the E-string, because now I feel like it is more "useable" since it isn't sitting right on the edge of the fretboard, and is no longer the lowest register I can hit....anyone else notice things like that?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 11:45 AM
rvj

Opinions on Universe

I'm really itching to get a UV, especially after hanging around this site! The G.A.S. is almost uncontrollable. I really want a UVMC and I'm trying to be patient. But the guitar gods are calling, and I may settle for a UV777BK. Besides, it is a killer ax and I really like that pyramid inlay on the body.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 12:55 AM

Opinions on Universe

A while back I bought some fat strings for my Les Paul and dropped her to A. It was cool... Tonight I did it to my UV777PBK. Of course, being a 7-string, it was only a step lower and i only went from 9's to 10's.

The tone was awesome! The Les Paul does not stand up to her.

I'm sure the slightly longer scale helps.

Tags
access neck joint , custom shop , ernie ball , flame maple , fret board , les paul , music store , neck joint , neck thru , pyramid inlay , strat tone , string guitars , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode