OPkay my strings break at the bridge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

OPkay my strings break at the bridge

I was sitting there playing when all of a sudden it happened. A week after putting in a new A string it broke.It seems that at the bridge the coiled part fo the string was being pulled.But why does this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 08:41 PM

That's where mine always break, I believe it's due to the tension on the floating bridge.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

OK THANX i am glad someone else has that problem and its like not some habit i need to change or get something fixed on the guitar.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 10:38 PM

That's where mine always break too. *Nice part about it is, you can easily unwind more from the machine head (assuming you wrapped enough) and get a few string fixes out of it first.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:00 AM

there's a ton of tension there, since that's where the string takes a turn. *It's also constantly moving there.

One thing you can do that sometimes helps a little, is take a pencil (or a q-tip wtih WD-40 on it) and rub it on the saddle where the string sits - it acts as a lubricant.

~Kenny
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:15 AM

Another thing... take a close look at the saddle to see if there are any little burrs there. I snapped E strings like crazy on my VWH for a while because of a burr. I went at it very gently with some fine sandpaper, and haven't had any problems since.

--B
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Uh i am not so educated here.Burr?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:28 PM

i would recommend taking it to a tech. IMHO that fix has to be really precise, because that little imperfection may become a big one if you screw up. (obviously assuming you don't have a lot of experience in guitar repairing!)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 05:08 PM

Burr, meaning a little shard of metal that has a sharp edge. That's my definition, at least! Sometimes burrs will develop under the strings in the saddle from where the string rubs against the trem's plating.

--B
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 09:03 PM

Had one of these on my Les Paul....pain in the ARSE for breakage, and for tone....made the string sound like poopy
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 09:45 PM

Vaiworship, burr its "the string is cutting the saddle, like a thin blade".

Like bduersch take a fine sandpaper and plain the saddle.
I have had the same problem with my DBK.

Could you catch ?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 07:27 AM

A reason why you really need to be careful with sandpaper is because sandpapering saddles flattens them out which results in decreased sustain and even saddle-muting which causes your strings to only produce high pitched harmonics closer to the bridge. That means you'll have to replace the saddle after that happens, but till then you may have some time left. It's more of a tear and wear thing. I just ordered 6 new saddles, but hey, the guitar's like 8 years old so I had a different problem...
You'll have to polish the saddle to be just like a normal one and not remove anything more. And that's what they have techs for, because it's definitely not as simple as on gibson tune-o-matics.
Pulling up a tremolo without the needed amount of subtlety or simply bad timing can also break any string, anytime, anywhere even with the best saddles in the universe. Then it's just putting it back on and it'll probably never happen on that string again. But those are my own statistics.

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode