Original Edge on Universe... - Good or bad thing?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Original Edge on Universe... - Good or bad thing??

I am curious about the playability differences on a UV with an original Edge bridge. I have played Lo-Pros all of my life, and have no experience with one on a 7 string. Are the older 90's UVs prized for their Edge 7s, or did Ibanez make a good choice making the Lo-Pro mandatory?? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 08:35 PM

Original Edge on Universe...

I have wondered the same about the 6-Edge vs 6-Lo-pro Edge, what i have come up with is that they are very much alike, and that the biggest difference is that the lo-pro is more comfortable for resting your hand on the tremmolo, not accidently touching the fine-tuners... Otherwise it has been said that they are likewise in performance and tuning stability. Or, am i wrong ??

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 12:15 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 07:46 AM

I don't have any experience with 7's, but on a 6 string I found that it doesn't matter at all. It feels the same and it's got the exact same stability.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 12:07 PM

I am not sure, but I do have an older lopro7 which has a starnge screw attachment mechanism for the trem bar, pretty rugged, but haven't tried it out, as the guitar is body-less at the moment. Does anyone know about these?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 06:12 PM

I prefer the LoPro on 6's or 7's. more comfortable in my opinion and string changes are easier. No need to dump the trem to loosen the 3mm screw to remove the string
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 06:37 PM

The one with the screw in bar is probably a LO-TRS-7. *
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 08:07 PM

I prefer the Lo-Pro....string changes are easier, it doesn't stick into my palm, and since I only have a Lo Pro intonation adjustment tool, intonation is easier and cheaper to set on a Lo Pro! *
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 08:22 PM

I actually strongly prefer Edge trems. They flutter a lot more, (not that I really do any of that anyways...but...)...it just feels better to me. The tension On the Edge's seem more fluid to me than the Lo-Pro's. If and when I ever get a UV, I plan on doing a wide search for the original Edge 7's.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Can you buy an aftermarket Edge 7 from Ibanez or Floyd Rose???
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Andy J Dampier on 6:22 pm on Feb. 10, 2002
I actually strongly prefer Edge trems. They flutter a lot more, (not that I really do any of that anyways...but...)...it just feels better to me. The tension On the Edge's seem more fluid to me than the Lo-Pro's. If and when I ever get a UV, I plan on doing a wide search for the original Edge 7's.
Agreed... Though they may be a little more uncomfortable, they seem better at the job of tremulating. (hey! I made a new word) I don't know the reason for this... It's just an observation.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:31 AM
Vendor

IME the Edge flutters *better* because the flutter sounds better. (ice cream) An Edge flutters a little slower or longer wavelength because the weight is heavily dispersed at the tail. Just like a metronome, move the weight toward the tip and it slows the frequency down. Slower flutter just sounds better to me, more audible/distinguishable/soulful (if flutter can possibly be soulful) than fast flutter, if you follow. And because the weight is further out, it's harder to stop because it has slightly more momentum. Put a 10 pound weight on a 1' rope and swing it, then swing it on a 3 ' rope, it will swing longer on the longer rope, the pendulum theory. Add to that the Edge weighs in several ounces heavier than a Lo Pro just adds to the pendulum. Just my opinion anyway, fill it with regular please. :biggrin:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Yep I agree entirely with Rich here

I like both equally and find they have different uses in different styles. For chord work or heavy riffing or jazz lines I genereally prefer the Lo-Pro but for more "acrobatic" playing I'd take a regular edge. And I agree with Andy about the string tension on a regular edge seems to lend the strings a more "fluid" feeling
jono is online  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 08:32 AM

agree with Jono: the Edge is more acrobatic than Lo-Pro, IMO
anyway i love'em both like sons, but since i'm an '80s nostalgic, i got a thing for the Edge.

nuno, the '80s nostalgic
[size=0.5]Jay, where were you all this time?[/size]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:33 PM

I should also add that the Edge doesn't bother me comfort wise one-bit, as I don't palm on the bridge. My pick is actually directly above the lower coil of my neck pick-up, and my palm rest on the bridge pick-up, right on the edge of the bridge. I can keep the strings a lot quieter this way, as well as get a slightly warmer sound from where I'm picking....and my bridge finish doesn't get worn down. So as far as comfort and the Edge goes, it doesn't really apply to me.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:10 AM

One thing I've always been interested in trying is putting a D-Tuna on an Edge-7 B-string.

Go from B to A.

I've got a D-tuna on my 777DY Edge bridge and it works great! *Sits right in the claw when at E and comes out parallel to the body while in D. *I've blocked the trem for dive-bombs only....ala Eddie.

Better yet....put 2 D-Tuna's on the B and E string.....go to a drop-A, drop-D arrangement for a ADADGBE tuning.

Gotta give props to the original Edge!

Guy

Tags
edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , pro edge , steve vai , string tension , trem studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode