Original Floyds - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Original Floyds

I've had my Jem555 for some time now, I locked the trem, so I wouldnt be bothered about the bridge too much. But now that I have some money to upgrade my bridge, I was thinking about the differences between original floyd roses and lo pro edges.
I searched the forums, but couldnt find anything really helpful. I heard that the OFR's are much cheaper than the Lo-pro edge (at least here in Holland), the question is, how do the two compare in quality, tuning stability - everything you can think of - etc, when put on my Jem555
And which one would YOU put on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:12 PM

As far as i know you would need to route the trem cavity to fit a lo-pro edge, probably the same for an original floyd. The general opinion is that the lo-pro is the best floating trem on the market, but many players swear by the original edge (it apparently has a better tone)...The best thing would be for you to just try both of them out... I believe the majority of people on this site would advise you to go with the lo-pro.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:20 PM

It's a faq, really.
Since routing may differ on korean models, some (really a few, but I did saw one once) were you just could drop one in.
I assueme you've got bigger problems replacing the posts.
As far as Original Floyd vs Ibanez, ghee, it's all a matter of taste, I guess.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 02:22 PM

I prefer ibanezes, and i prefer an edge over a lo-pro. Just my taste.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 02:35 PM

How about answering his questions? The original floyd will pop right in Ive done it myself. Its roughly the same size as a trs ANd they are less expensive than the edge trem would be. you can also get a lo profile version of this. The original floyd will stay in tune as well or better than any other trem made. But the edge does feel better and has more flutter. If your wanting to upgrade that guitar feel fine putting in a original floyd. You can probably get one off ebay really easy and that will let you upgrade that 555 for minimal cost without routing and without going through hell trying to upgrade to an edge. You could also put the bar attachment of an edge in the OFR giving you more of the feel of the edge trem.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 02:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
How about answering his questions? The original floyd will pop right in Ive done it myself.
Yup... all around.

This has been discussed over and over and over... you guys gotta try a bit harder when doing forum searches. I'll have to put together a trem FAQ also ...glen
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 02:55 PM

not a bad idea but a trem faq should include pics of the chaos putting an edge in a 555 does (so people will shut the hell up about it) lol
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

There is actually a reason this topic comes along this often. I am along time jemforum reader (I even had an account but I kind of forgot the password ), and one thing I have really noticed above all else is how the 555 is not really looked at positively by Americans. The main reason here I think, that the pricing of the jems is really off here in Europe. I can imagine you wouldn't recommend the 555 in America, because the pricing of the jem7dbk is simply very close to that of the 555.

I bought my 555 for 900-something euro's, I see 7dbk's here go around for 2000 Euro's. All you get is a superior trem. I think its pretty obvious which one to choose, just take a 555 and buy a new trem. (except when you are a purist, but then again, purists would buy a 7vwh instead of a 7dbk )

So I really think the pricing difference is the main reason that people are still buying 555's, that being the reason that there are still people asking stuff about the trems.
So I dont think you should tell us to shut up

Just my two cents
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 03:40 PM

You're right, unless you go for the used market, or buy accross the pond.
Personally, I think the 555 bashing is a bit overdone, but who am I.
The 'Buy a good RG instead' doesn't count here, because those are priced rediciously too. And an incredlble limited supply, mostly korean RG's.
Oh, it's a hard life, but hey..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:34 PM

Of course when dealing with a foreign market things are going to be different. Lately Glenns been doing ALOT of work to the site and expect to eventually even see a section for jem555 modification, so as to not bog down the forum with it. These questions get asked two three times a week when a typical search would end all basic speculation but I agree if people actually KNEW what was involved in adding an edge they would typically think differently. My suggestion has always been original floyd. Jackson fans dig em but thats the only GOOD option they have.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 10:12 PM

Yep!Here in Spain a 555 costs the half of a dbk too, but man!you can buy an s or rg prestige (not the best ones) for a little more than a 555!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 10:15 PM

555 is a beginners guitar. Thats the market it feels and it does that, although it may not do that all that well. I still frickin want a black one to put a real floyd in, but im not gonna pay over four for one, and they bring a buttload used even on evilbay
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 03:23 AM

The 555 is a beginerrs guitar ???!!?!?

what a dumb statement !!! what snobbery !!!

Its not the guitar, its the player, i have seen some people with quality instruments who couldnt play 3 notes, and some people with cheap strat copies that shred.

I am from Scotland, but was in the USA for 5 months working, and believe me, you dont know how lucky you have it over there. I bought an RG450DX, the white 7V lookalike, in a "Cash America" pawn shop for $300 then just brought it back here and sold it for nearly 3 times that !!

I have an RG560 with a Lo-Pro, and a Jem 555 WH, my Jem cost me £600 (maybe roughly $1000) and that was second hand. Sure the 555 is Korean and not Japanese, but I have had mine for a couple of weeks, and i cant put it down, i am over the moon with it. I think 555 bashing has gone on long enough

Some people dont know when they have it good ...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:20 AM
dex

People don't bash the 555 for the sake of it.
They just compare it with the Jem7.

All they say is better get a pre-owned Jem7 than Jem555.

It's like saying "Get pre-owned RG5xx rather than RG2xx/3xx"
It makes perfect sense.

I personally very much dislike the half vine thing on the Jem555.
If they just put a neck out of 7DBK on it, it'll look 10 times better.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:29 AM

I hear you Dex

unfortunatley, i dont agree with you

there are some people who have "premier" instruments who DO just bash the 555 for the sake of it. Sure the TRS II isnt as good as the Edge, tell me something i dont know. Sure the half vine thing isnt as good as the neck on a 7V, tell me another thing i dont know.

People do bash the 555, as if its a second rate instrument. Well its not.

but i think we are loseing site of the initial Question here.

I have my 555, some people tease me about it, about it not being a "proper" Jem

well they can just go *** CENSORED ***
Closed Thread

Tags
edge trem , equipped guitar , floyd rose , les paul , local guitar center , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode