Original Jem-switch? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw

Original Jem-switch?

I've been planing to make my '91 77FP all original again. The only thing that's not original is the switch, which was replaced by one of the previous owners. I came over this 140448460762 fleabay auction. Is this the same switch as used on the original FPs?

I was also thinking about changing out the pots as they have started to become a bit scratchy. Who made these for Ibanez? Are they anywhere to be bought?

-paw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Vendor

Re: Original Jem-switch?

It most likely had a VLX53, though I seem to remember seeing a few YM50's also. The same pots are still available but you should be able to clean those.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 AM

Scratchy pots you can fix with A LITTLE WD-40 sprayed in the small hole at the back underneath the pot and keep turning the pot, should sort it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
NSR

WD40 is not really a good idea as it can do more harm than good. You may have gotten away with it by using so little. It would probably be best to use either isopropyl alcohol or a dedicated electrical contact / switch cleaner.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Reviews: 12

i believe you clean the pots + switch with Contact Cleaner, not WD40
Rich is correct regarding the switches; however, the switch on my '89 777VBK is some sort of USA superswitch similar to the one used in this diagram:

on the other hand, my '91 UVGR had a VLX53 switch that eventually broke and got replaced :P

what you posted is a VLX91 switch, which i've seen on mid/late 90's S guitars and some early Prestige's but should work with your FP

Reg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM

I have cleaned the pots on my guitars that crackled in the last couple of years with a little WD-40 and haven't had to replace a pot or re-apply yet. Two strats and an import 335 when I upgraded the pickups (horrible tricky pain in the neck job to work the pots+wiring through a f-hole, never again)

Switch cleaner also works of course we all know that, as well as compressed air if you can get the case of the pot opened but the problem is lubricating the actual carbon track in the pot, isopropyl alcohol and my white can of switch cleaner (don't remember the name) works awesome for a couple of months but I tend to have to re-apply it in a tone or volume pot, when one of my pickup selector or jack socket starts to crakle or drop out definately switch cleaner has always done the job.

Although my favourite option is to replace the pot with a good quality brand new one. I don't play a vintage guitar so I don't have the worry of keeping everything stock.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:33 PM

Most of the time when someone talks about replacing scratchy pots, I see people telling them just to clean them. My tech has said the same thing.

When is it a bonafide reason to actually replace them? When they don't work at all?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
i believe you clean the pots + switch with Contact Cleaner, not WD40
Rich is correct regarding the switches; however, the switch on my '89 777VBK is some sort of USA superswitch similar to the one used in this diagram:

on the other hand, my '91 UVGR had a VLX53 switch that eventually broke and got replaced :P

what you posted is a VLX91 switch, which i've seen on mid/late 90's S guitars and some early Prestige's but should work with your FP

Reg
this diagram shows a regular strat switch. Some of them have poles separated into two rows like this one, others have 8 in line...but they are all mechanically and electrically equivalent.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw

I've never tried to clean any pots yet, but that may be a good thing to learn. I guess I'll just find some guide on the net on how to clean pots.

Thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxypain View Post
I have cleaned the pots on my guitars that crackled in the last couple of years with a little WD-40 and haven't had to replace a pot or re-apply yet. Two strats and an import 335 when I upgraded the pickups (horrible tricky pain in the neck job to work the pots+wiring through a f-hole, never again)

Switch cleaner also works of course we all know that, as well as compressed air if you can get the case of the pot opened but the problem is lubricating the actual carbon track in the pot, isopropyl alcohol and my white can of switch cleaner (don't remember the name) works awesome for a couple of months but I tend to have to re-apply it in a tone or volume pot, when one of my pickup selector or jack socket starts to crakle or drop out definately switch cleaner has always done the job.

Although my favourite option is to replace the pot with a good quality brand new one. I don't play a vintage guitar so I don't have the worry of keeping everything stock.
I don't think there's any doubt with your success. However, WD40 is a penetrating oil based product and such, it's going to leave a residue. This is going to be bad in the long run as it will also affect the carbon tracks.

According to http://home.howstuffworks.com/electr...ct-cleaner.htm
Electrical contact cleaner is simply compressed air with a cleaning agent that evaporates, such as isopropyl alcohol. It is useful for cleaning electric components that have food, grease, or oils on them. It can dislodge foreign elements and clean components.

I think that says it all for which is better, for the reason that the contact cleaner is designed to remove oil. Ultimately, once crap (mostly carbon residue) has accumulated inside the pot...where's it going to go? Short answer with either solution is nowhere. So while contact cleaner is likely to be the better solution, you'll not prevent your pot from crackling again in the future. Like everything, it will eventually break down completely at some point through use.

If the OP is looking to replace the pots, then based on the 97-2004 FP models, the volume is 3VR1J500G and the tone is 3VR1J500D. According to Ibanez they're 500K ohms with a 16mm shaft. You should check that they're the correct length before going any further. The difference between the two is to do with their taper or log curve. You can get these in Norway here:

3VR1J500G: http://evenstadmusikk.no/index.php?m...ducts_id=10129
3VR1J500D: http://evenstadmusikk.no/index.php?m...ducts_id=10128
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw

Wow dude. You even found links to a shop in my little country. Now, THAT is helpful And the information you provided is very helpful too.

I'm going to UK in a few weeks. If everyone is as helpful as you... Well, I'll come home with a lot of stuff obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post
I don't think there's any doubt with your success. However, WD40 is a penetrating oil based product and such, it's going to leave a residue. This is going to be bad in the long run as it will also affect the carbon tracks.

According to http://home.howstuffworks.com/electr...ct-cleaner.htm
Electrical contact cleaner is simply compressed air with a cleaning agent that evaporates, such as isopropyl alcohol. It is useful for cleaning electric components that have food, grease, or oils on them. It can dislodge foreign elements and clean components.

I think that says it all for which is better, for the reason that the contact cleaner is designed to remove oil. Ultimately, once crap (mostly carbon residue) has accumulated inside the pot...where's it going to go? Short answer with either solution is nowhere. So while contact cleaner is likely to be the better solution, you'll not prevent your pot from crackling again in the future. Like everything, it will eventually break down completely at some point through use.

If the OP is looking to replace the pots, then based on the 97-2004 FP models, the volume is 3VR1J500G and the tone is 3VR1J500D. According to Ibanez they're 500K ohms with a 16mm shaft. You should check that they're the correct length before going any further. The difference between the two is to do with their taper or log curve. You can get these in Norway here:

3VR1J500G: http://evenstadmusikk.no/index.php?m...ducts_id=10129
3VR1J500D: http://evenstadmusikk.no/index.php?m...ducts_id=10128

Tags
jem77fp , original , switch 5 way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode