Out of this swirled GMC jem build help needed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Out of this swirled GMC jem build help needed

Hi All

I have bought a Gmc jem Swirl body from alan at out of this swirled and its been with my local guitar luthier for the past month building it up

i have spent **** loads on the body and dimazio parts plus a brand new ibanez edge lo pro

anyways the guitar was due for completion this week and my luither calls me up and advises

The ibanez Jem 555 neck fits the neck pocket but once the guitar had been strung up

( two e -strings high E / Low E.... the high e falls off the fretboard

I'm totaly gutted because i was assured the Jem body was professionaly routed

And the feedback from other people who have built swirl guitars from out of this swirled....
have been good, my luither advises the neck pocket routing seems out

i'am angry beyond words because the money i have spent in parts and labour i could of bought a factory built JEM...

Anyways this could be down the poor workmanship on the body before the swirl

i dont know all i know i'm pissed right off

any help or advice to help salvage my insanity

would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Re: Out of this swirled GMC jem build help needed

Anyone ?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

It's just a piece of wood, sell its parts separate and buy another one.
Or use that insanity to start beating(playing) drums, I heard Portnoy had the same problem with a guitar
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

"It's just a guitar, sell its parts separate and buy another one"

Its not that easy

I have spent 365 on the Swirled body alone, paying that much for a body
you would expect it to be right not F**KED up routing

Besides the routing the swirl clear coat had orange peel and dry patches....

alan did say i could return the body for a full refund because i was not happy with the clear coat on the swirl

That was over 2 months ago i wish to god i done it
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
PCG

How bad is the overhang? Your tech might be able to loosen the screws, shift the neck into position (leaving everything stringed up to keep an eye on alignment) and tighten them back down, using force to hold the neck in position as the screws are tightened.

Dan Erlewine's Guitar Players Repair Guide covers this pretty thoroughly from the easy fix as mentioned above to a little more in depth fix.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

you would thought a minor alteration on the neck pocket or slight ajustment would bring it all inline

but to be truthful i have run out of money on the build....the tech wants extra money if he has to trim the neck pocket or do anymore routing /alteration to the wood work

what is really pissing me off is that i was under the impression these bodies accepted ibanez part spot on..............this dosent seem to be the case
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM

im thinking that jem555 neck is not the proper width. or you possibly have the wrong width nut.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

"im thinking that jem555 neck is not the proper width. or you possibly have the wrong width nut"

Good point
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM

looks like it can use a 42 or 43 mm nut, which do you have? im also not positive on the fretboard width of a 555 versus a regular jem. im pretty sure that body would NOT have been routed for a 555.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jym-ellis View Post
looks like it can use a 42 or 43 mm nut, which do you have? im also not positive on the fretboard width of a 555 versus a regular jem. im pretty sure that body would NOT have been routed for a 555.
if you have a 43mm on there now, you could install a new 42mm, its about 150.00, depending on the nut, this includes labor, I bet (with out photos) thiw fix your problem.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 AM

according to the ibaez site parts list for the jem555, it uses a 43mm. BUT they never had that trem. so the spacing on the trem may be throwing it off the sides of the neck. i would get a 42mm nut and try that. should be something your luthier can put on at no extra charge for labor i would personally put a different jem neck on it than a 555
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

jym-ellis Thanks buddy for your help, the 555 neck is only going to be tempoary until i get something better...i will try a 42mm nut see if that does it
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM

anytime i just dont want to see you sink so much time and money into a project and think its all for nothing. there is not much that can go wrong with a build like this that would actually STOP it from playing properly. its just working put the stupid little details since the neck is temporary, i would just buy a cheap 42mm locking nut from your local guitar shop. when you get a permenant neck, drop the $70 on an ibanez nut from ibanezrules \m/
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jym-ellis View Post
anytime i just dont want to see you sink so much time and money into a project and think its all for nothing. there is not much that can go wrong with a build like this that would actually STOP it from playing properly. its just working put the stupid little details since the neck is temporary, i would just buy a cheap 42mm locking nut from your local guitar shop. when you get a permenant neck, drop the $70 on an ibanez nut from ibanezrules \m/
Without any pics its impossible to say what the problem really is .
I've had quite a few bodies from Al and all have been perfect with no fitting problems.
Building a custom guitar throws all manner of problems at you but all should be easy to fix.
Get some pics up and maybe people on this forum can help you and stop the panic man
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM

If both E strings are off each side of the neck, the bridge may be to close to the nut.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode