output jack crazy with planet waves? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

output jack crazy with planet waves?

Ok, here's my issue...my JS1000 died on me during our church service today...so i switched to another guitar and it worked fine. So I figure my jack must be bad...if I moved or touched the cable, I'd lose the signal. So later tonight I open up the jack plate , and all seems fine. So I plug in (@ home w/ dif. cable) and all is good!

I go back and grab the Planet wAves...it shorts out on the JS when I move the guitar or touch the cable near the jack. I tried a bunch of other cables and all is good. I tried to get the PW to short out with other guitars and can't!!!

So here's what I'm gathering...my planet waves cable (with the "spring" tip to hold it) is not compatible with the JS1000! (or at least mine)Has anyone else seen this? Could there be something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 AM

Re: output jack crazy with planet waves?

You probably figured it out, I like some planet waves stuff, but a few of the gimicky things anre a bit over the top for me and they sometimes interfere with the normal function of a device.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

It just seems weird that I can't find anybody else with issues (with a search here or google) These cables are everywhere...has anyone experienced anything like this? I can't seem to get another cable to crap out on my JS, but I'm a little nervous about gigging now
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 AM

lol dude I had the exact OPPOSITE problem with my cables.

I had some cheap guitar shop cables and they were shorting out in my JS (the jack started to come loose) so I tightened it back up and bought a planet waves cable.

the planet waves never shorted out on me even when the other ones still did after a few weeks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Reviews: 4

I had some funny issues with Planet Waves cables...

My guitar was fully plugged in, all rig ready to rock, volume to 10... and if I stepped on the cable, I heard the sound of the "stepping" on the speakers!!! :S Weird!

No more Planet Waves cables for me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM

what kinda music you play in church?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

mostly what I would call "modern" worship stuff; Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Starfield, etc.

I still can't figure out this cable thing...seems odd. This cable works in everything BUT the JS.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce View Post
mostly what I would call "modern" worship stuff; Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Starfield, etc.

I still can't figure out this cable thing...seems odd. This cable works in everything BUT the JS.
i wish i could help, ive had no exp with planet waves, but i bought a new lead once and it didnt work for me, but the other guitar polayer in my band tried it and it worked fine, i guess leads only work with certain components
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
MFB

I'd recommend just using the cable on other guitars for now, or if you want just ditch it all together and switch to Monster Cables
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 18

Interesting anomaly. Are we talking about the "breakaway" cable that planet waves sells? Either get a nice Monster cable or a Mogami.

Jimmy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

No, it's not the circuit breaker. It's an older PW. One end is labeled guitar, the other amp.

I obviously just need to switch cables, but it's got me perplexed...I can't for the life of me figure it out (and I hate that
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce View Post
No, it's not the circuit breaker. It's an older PW. One end is labeled guitar, the other amp.

I obviously just need to switch cables, but it's got me perplexed...I can't for the life of me figure it out (and I hate that
is the jack bigger then the other ones i.e longer or beefier? it might be pushing the piece inside to much, and shorting it out or maby its to long and going past where the jack connects to the input, and thats shorting it. who knows not me ive never been before.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 3

With me they work fine with Planet waves (spring loaded), yet when i use a normal cable which doesn't have the spring system it will move and short.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 PM

this seems like a conundrum no man will ever solve.

Tags
js1000 , output jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode