Owners opinion - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Owners opinion

Im going to buy a new guitar, it will be a JS1000 or a JEM7DBK. I know they are two differents instruments in sound and feel, and i dont want to know which is "better". I only want to know your opinion about your instrument: if you have a JS1000, or if you have a JEM7DBK.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:42 PM

I have not had a Jem7DBK before, but I did have a Jem7VWH...

OK..

JS1000: Very warm sound. Not high output pickups. Neck P/U is very deep and smooth when you roll off the tone a bit and set the amp to B=3, M=7, T=7. Bridge (fred) is a lot more trebbly and cuts through the warmness. Very good for lead stuff.

Jem7VWH: All puckups are high output. Can be a little too overwhelming at times, but having said that it does scream lead to me.
The middle evo is fantastic. Single coil - probably as close to a Strat as u are gonna get. Very fun to play.

James
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:08 PM

JEM7DBK

I love that guitar. Some say it's a cheap little thing but I also have a Universe777BK and it is as finly built as the Universe. I love the finish on it, it's quite unusual and I get some weird questions about it. The fans of my band seem to like it though. I'd suggest getting taht. The Breed Pups in it are a little more subtle that say, Evolutions. They remind me of something that would be on a skinny, basswood Les Paul.... Just my two cents in, I think that eith are a good choice though.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:44 PM

I've had several js1000s and a jem dna(similar in sound to have dbk). also jemvwh, and pmc..

js1000: I like the feel on a js, it feels great. I'd recommend this guitar above a jem if it came stock with an ebony fretboard. See the standard js is just too warm for me, no bit etc... but a js90ham with ebony board, well now there is a beast!

jem: Great feeling guitar but different than the js. The jem is a rocker for sure.

if you are looking for a mean machine the dbk is probably best, but if you are looking for a warm stratish sweet feeling guitar then the js would be your bet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:25 AM

I agree a lot with Brian.

I currently own and practice regularly on a Root Beer Jem, JS-1000BP,
JS-6, and a UV777BK.

I can honestly say that I love each and every one of them!

Each one does something a little different to me when I play them. The
JS-6 is even "warmer" then the JS-1000. The JS-1000 is VERY versital!
It's definitly a rocker! I really don't see a BIG difference in the output,
but then again I've not purchased 7DBK yet. But I've been playing them
quite a bit at the local guitar stores.

The 7DBK is in all around rocker. The neck is WAY thinner then JS. If you
like thin necks (I play MUCH faster in a Wizard type neck) then the DBK
is for you. If you like a fat strat type neck, then the JS is more for you.

Heh, but then again, after playing the 777BK for a while, everything else
just feels like toys!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 07:24 AM

I've got a JS1000btb and it's excellent Looks cool and since I've never seen any pix of Satriani holding one I don't feel like it connects me to him in any way. It's a pretty light-weight guitar, yet still feels solid enough to go wild on. Bridge is excellent for tuning stability, and the lo-pro allows subtle palm muting without affecting pitch (unless you're very heavy-handed!). I think that would be the same on the Jem, which is also a lo-pro yeah? Upper-fret access is obviously not as good as a Jem, but I have no problems hitting the 22nd fret and bending it like there's no tomorrow!

The guitar feels great, but before I got it I was a LesPaul man, so I think the neck must be reasonably big compared to the Jem's. You can definitely get hold of it and wring the notes out of it I didn't set mine up for speed or tapping, I set it up for blues / rock so I can dig in a bit more. But even with what most ppl here may consider a "high" action it's incredibly easy to play, and sounds superb. I also set it up with .10 guage strings since I was using .11's on my LP and couldn't bear moving down to .9's

Like others have mentionned, the bridge pickup (Fred) is very defined, cutting, almost abrasive but it's full of character, and it's a good kind of aggression! haha Definitely cuts thru the mix when soloing. Coil-tapped you get a nice trebly strat sound, but it's still reasonably full and doesn't sound too thin.
The neck pickup (PAF Pro?) is very warm, but doesn't get mushy. Great for mildly distorted rhythm, or even mellow solos. Coil-tapped you get a great mellow strat sound, which happens to be one of my favourite settings! Excellent for bluesy solos, hendrixy rhythm etc.

Both pickups combined I feel you get a neutral tone, hard to describe.. it's almost as if the biting character of the Fred is negating the warmth of the PAF and leaving you with a blank tonal pallete from which you can let more of the amp shine through. In any case, it's the setting I use when I feel the bridge is too harsh or the neck too warm for the song! coil-tapped and combined, I think you get a great strat sound, rolling off the volume a little (with high pass in place) gets you a really nice tone for clean rhythm work, and distorted it's just plain good.

I've never had to describe the tone of my guitar before in any depth, so I hope I've done it justice and been accurate. The sound of a guitar is VERY subjective, and in this case beauty is in the ear of the beholder

I love this guitar!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:47 AM

I have a js1000 and i love it in every way it can rock so much and it can role out beutifull warm phrases its great i love the neck and prefer it to the jems but thats just me. I personaly think u can do almost any style of music with a js and im very very happy with mine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 09:54 AM

/me thinking I should've been a little more concise
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:34 PM

grrrpoop,

not at all!! i think you did a wonderful review on the JS1000! LOL!
anyway, i totally agree with what you said but felt i'd just throw in my 2 cents worth; i think that the JS1000 lends itself more of a bluesy quality than the JEMs i've tried. The JEMs seem harsher IMHO. But then again, you get a really cool glassy Strat kinda tone with the JEM's in-between P/up position (2 and 4).

Playability-wise, I prefer the JS cos i've always liked a Fender neck feel and a rounder tone as compared to the JEMs which have a thin neck and a more aggressive tone.

Tags
bridge pickup , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fat strat , fret access , guage strings , high output pickups , jem dna , les paul , neck pickup , output pickup , paf pro , palm muting , root beer jem , strat sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode