PAF and JS-100 and trem - Be nice! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

PAF and JS-100 and trem - Be nice!

Ok, poor guy with a part time job here, so don't rip my head off, I know the JS 100 is nothing compared to the 1000s. *I was able to get a JS 100 for $350, not a bad price considering it was in very good shape. *I would like to replace the pickups with a Fred and a PAF. *Most of the pickups I've seen on Ebay are F-spaced(Fender string widths). *What type is the PAF Pro on the 1000? *is it the regular version or is it F-spaced?

Also what trem can I use to replace the Lo TRS II? *I know the Edge and Lo Pro are risky propositions. *If I replace it with a Schaller or original floyd will it fit without routing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:18 PM

the OFR I believe has the same measurements as Edges/Lo-pros
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 04:08 AM

You need the F-Spaced PAF PRO/FREDs

I too swapped my JS100's pickups for PAF PRO/ FREDS - pretty easy to do - but scary if it's your first time.

--James
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:14 PM

'F' Spaced Fred and normal space PAF Pro innit??? ah well... whatever bridge you do decide on, its a 70:30 chance of not fitting ... im getting one fitted eventually tho, whatever happens

also, if i were u, id get the pickups done and then get a decent amp, leave the bridge till last

(Edited by Kevin Brigden at 7:16 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

So is it F-spaced PAF Pro or non-F-spaced? *I'm confused now. *How great is the Fred? *i might forego that one in favor of an EMG-81 - don't wanna be a Joe clone too much. *Unless the Fred is really worth it.

Thanks for the bridge info. *I'll postpone that project for the moment. *I can always try the Lo Pro on my RG 550 to see if it fits.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 03:51 PM

For the neck, and F-spaced pup isn't a necessity. *The strings are closer together than they are at the bridge, so a standard spacing works well.

The OFR & Schallers are closer to a TRS than to an Edge. *They SHOULD fit a TRS rout OK, but I'd make sure before buying.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all!

I stretched out my strings heavily, tuned and intonated about 100 times, lol. But now, my TRS stays in tune just as well as the Lo Pro Edge on my RG 550. *Now if only I could get rid of that stupid screw on bar....

If anyone's been complaining about how the Lo TRS doesn't stay in tune as well as a Lo Pro, it just requires more work. *I also reduced the springs in the back to "simulate" the looser feel of the Lo Pro. *No subsititue for my lovely Lo Pro, but this is quite acceptable now. * Maybe a Schaller replacement in the future, but for my purposes, this isn't bad. *I can always use the nail polish trick to fix the screw on bar.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:31 PM

Whatever you do, don't change string height when there is string tension on the tremolo.
The posts will eat trough the baseplate like butter!
belive me. I've tried it!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 03:26 PM

I must say I love the Fred, but it takes some EQ tweaks to get a sound like Zakk Wylde or something along those lines. But it's a VERY nice pickup...can do considerable tone no matter what you threw at it. When I first got my JS1000 I tried to mess the tone up as much as I could...still sounded great :biggrin:

Tags
paf pro , pro edge , string tension , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode