PAF Pro in the neck of a 7vwh - Has anyone done this? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

PAF Pro in the neck of a 7vwh - Has anyone done this?

The first Jem I ever played was a basswood bodied model form the early 1990's with a Paf Pros. I remember the neck pickup having the most beautiful clean and crunch tone. The bridge pickup, however, lacked the poke of the later Evo equiped models when switching to a lead tone.

Has anyone ever installed a Paf Pro in the neck position of a VWH and will there be a noticable difference in output between the neck and bridge pickups if I were to leave the Evo in the bridge?

Cheers

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:39 AM

PAF Pro in the neck of a 7vwh

Well I don't have a VWH but I do have an Alder-bodied guitar with a PAF Pro in the neck.

I know it's not a total consolation but I will say this. It's a wonderful, creamy sounding pickup in the neck. Clean it's very nice too, but you have to roll the volume back a tad, then it cleans up really nice.

It's got a very nice snap to it but not too woofy or harsh. I like it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 11:51 AM

I have a PAF Pro in my 3120, and it is a very nice pickup to solo with...Its got that smooth tone and really helps to bring out my picking and technique...

I haven't tried the Air Norton, but a lot of people like that pick up as well...Give it try and remember that you can always exchange the pickup to something else...

U can always adjust the height of the Evo, but I don't think you should have major output differences if you make some adjustments...

I dont' know tho, cuz I have a Tone Zone on the bridge with has less output than the EVo, but I'm sure it'll be fine...

-Mike
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Are there any Ibanez models that come with an Air Norton fitted as standard? It would be nice to give it a try before I shell out for a new pickup only to find out that it is not my thing!!

Matt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 12:41 PM

I've got an air norton in a guitar, and I really can't say I like it much, but then, I've got a Steve's special in it too and don't like it much either. *Meanwhile, tons of people here love them, it is so dependent on your amp too, that makes as big a difference or more than the actual pickup in the guitar

Jeremy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:06 PM

the JPMs have air nortons in the neck......i *think* the 3120??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:30 PM

The PAF - Neck w. Evo Bridge is a GREAT combination in any guitar.

~Kenny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 09:56 AM

The JPM's and some J-Customs (1880's, several more obscure models) are the only Ibanezes I'm aware of that come with Air Nortons in the neck position. (Good luck finding one of either!)

I will say this... Although I like the PAF Pro a great deal as a neck pickup, I'd take the AN over it any day of the week. It's very smooth and glassy. The clarity when making really fast runs up and down the fretboard is the best part.

--B
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I ordered a Paf-Pro in white this weekend. My next topic will probably be "How do you rewire an Ibanez Jem?" I think I might let them fit the thing when it arrives as I was never too good with a soldering iron!!

Thread closed Mr Moderator?

Matt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 01:25 PM

Matt

The wiring and colors are exactly the same. *Make a note of what color wires came off what contacts (or pot) and re-solder exactly the same way.

If you are indded sucky with an iron, be careful, as Ibanez switches are not wonderful at withstanding the heat for too long.

there's a wiring diagram here on Jemsite and also on the DiMarzio site, but going color-by-color will work perfectly.

~Kenny

PS: make sure you specify gold pole pieces in your order!!!!!

Tags
air norton , air nortons , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , evo bridge , ibanez jem , ibanez models , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode