Painting The guitar - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:50 PM

Re: Painting The guitar

G'Day,

The body was originally a banged up old Jem777DY that needed some restoration. I post some pics for your interest, some comments would be appreciated. I am doing a GMC (green multicolour) swirl next, will show you how it turns out later.

Last edited by ET Guitars; 12-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:09 AM

I usually don't go for the lighter colored swirls, but that one looks really sharp. Almost like abalone. Are you using two part paint like Dupont Chromabase, or a single stage enamel? --Jason
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 AM

I like that kind of swirl et6666 ... very nice !!!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom's door
He's done some pretty amazing swirls this year, but if you want one, it's going to cost you, and the wait may be a while.
peace
Can't be much more than what ATD is charging.

Regards

André

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:47 AM

Nice job et6666 .

Regards

André

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:01 AM

Reviews: 34

et6666,

That is sweet.

I would be interested if you could outline the products that you used.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:23 AM

Thanks guys. Yes the swirl is sharp, but it looks best up close, where you can see the fine detail and the metallic flake.
4 colours were used - dark purple, light purple, turquoise and light green.

Last edited by ET Guitars; 12-25-2008 at 11:45 PM.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 PM

so you fill the tub with water and it wont to anything bad to your guitar that kinda scares me
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
I like that kind of swirl et6666 ... very nice !!!
+1 That is nice.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:34 AM

don't forget Turbao's Heaven swirl.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Nice swirl et6666, very marble-like. Swirling is one of those things that is quite easy to get working, but very hard to get perfect. It's taken me a long time and lots of experiments to get to the stage I'm at with it (not that I'm saying I'm perfect you understand, but I have got much better at it over time). I think that, broadly speaking, everyone uses a method similar to the one on project guitar, but by now my method is a very exact process that is far more complicated than that tutorial, and if I don't follow it exactly then they don't turn out that great. You have to be prepared for alot of time, effort and money if you want to get consistent results every time. However, it is a laugh and you can get some quite nice results early on if you're lucky. By the way, the problem I always had with oil-based paint was finding a decent clear coat to cover it that can be sanded and polished, etc. And yes, you have to be careful or else the body can crack from the water (to answer unchained31's question).
(Pics of my latest swirls in this thread: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45737)
Cheers,
Rich
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained31
so you fill the tub with water and it wont to anything bad to your guitar that kinda scares me
Don't worry about that. The guitar is primered (essentially sealed) and is wet for a very short period of time. The guitar also gets coated with the swirl paint as it goes in the water, so only a small part of it really gets "wet"
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
Don't worry about that. The guitar is primered (essentially sealed) and is wet for a very short period of time. The guitar also gets coated with the swirl paint as it goes in the water, so only a small part of it really gets "wet"
This is true, but the paint doesn't cover the whole guitar, ie, the inside of screw holes get wet, as do some parts of the cavities. I have had guitars split around screw holes before I worked out my method for sealing them. You just have to make sure everything is very well sealed, then you shouldn't have a problem. It also depends alot on what wood it's made from; some woods are far more porous than others.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Painting The guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by et6666
G'Day,
Swirling is a very tricky art, I give kudos to Darren and Herc and others who have perfected the method. I just finished a swirl using metallic paints last week. I am reasonably happy with the results but still far from satisfied. Seriously, this is a technique that will take you many hours of experimentation and many dollars of trial paints until you get a reasonable result. Mine was done by a method similar to the tutorial in project guitar, but using some automotive metallic paints. Yes "oil paints" means any solvent based enamel or poly paint, not water based acrylic.

The body was originally a banged up old Jem777DY that needed some restoration. I post some pics for your interest, some comments would be appreciated. I am doing a GMC (green multicolour) swirl next, will show you how it turns out later.

Hi,
Your work is fantastic!!!
Can you explain me better which kind of paint did you use?
Thank you very much.

bye Marco
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:30 AM

G'Day Marco,

Like others have said before, the best swirls are those you get by yourself by trial and error. Unfortunately, with swirling there is much error (and money) before your first success.

I can understand those who have perfected the art not wanting to pass on secrets, there is too much time, money, blood and tears invested in this artform. And even if you were given some information, there are so many variables affecting the result that you will probably get a different result anyway.

Really Marco, if you like the swirl effect, you will love the results you get by yourself, after you experiment and get used to all the different things involved in getting a good result. Sorry to babble on too much but I don't think anyone can give a recipe that will give a perfect first time result. Please experiment, enjoy and I hope to see your successful swirls in the near future.

Last edited by ET Guitars; 12-30-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Tags
clear coat , guitar body , herc fede , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode