PGM301 Paf Pro sound - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ad_Astra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

PGM301 Paf Pro sound

Hi,

I just bought a PGM301 from 2004 and compared the sound to my RG 2550z from 2015.
The PGM301 sounds better with a different tone.
The PGM has a maple fretboard with 010 strings. The RG2550z has a rosewood fretboard with 09 strings.

If I buy the Paf Pro pickup to my 2550z, will I get the same sound/tone?

I really love the PGM tone. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 04:26 AM

I have a PGM100 with a Paf pros and. A Jem 77fp with Paf Pros.
Both sound very similar to me. And are two of my fav sounding instruments and were my go to gigging guitars for ages.

So if you put the same pickups in a guitar with a similar construction/bridge type/scale length as you have then I think you'll get pretty similar results. I don't think maple fretboard vs rosewood makes that much difference on a fully amped up electric where most other factors are similar.

I'd say go for it.
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Re: PGM301 Paf Pro sound

Thank you! I understand. :-)

The difference with my RGs is that PGM has fixed bridge and 2550 has Edge Zero tremolo. I dont you use the tremolo at all.
Do you think the bridge affects the sound?
Another difference is that the PGM doesnt have ton control and the 2550 has..
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 06:42 AM

The bridge will have an effect. So they won't be identical.
I have a JS1000 and a JS1600 - same scenario. They're similar but not identical.
Certainly I can jump from one to the other on the same rig without half an hours EQ tweaking. But you might be more sensitive to little variations than me.
You can probably get them closer by blocking the trem if you don't use it. Usually fixed bridge can give a little more sustain than a Floyd.

The tone knob is the same for me with the FP vs PGM 100 question.
If you regularly look for different tones by playing with the tone rolled off you'll notice differences. If you don't i doubt it'll be a big deal.. Your mileage may vary etc...
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 12:27 PM

I love the sound of the Paf Pros on my 89 Jem77FP. So smooth. Compared to my Jem90th with Evos and ebony board, which sounds REALLY sterile and in your face. Maybe the aluminium pickuguard has something to do with the sound or all together. The 90th is really loud and snappy sounding acoustically, too. A lot louder than the 77FP.
Super likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Agree - the bridge has an effect.
I also been thinking about experimenting with the pickup height..Have you done it? Any recommendations?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
Thanks!
Agree - the bridge has an effect.
I also been thinking about experimenting with the pickup height..Have you done it? Any recommendations?
I haven't played with pick up height as i think i have mine just right already. But you should check it as part of your usual set up routine.
Re trem blocking: easy test before investing in a tremelo no or something like that is to use some picks or coins wrapped in painters tape to make a block just the right width to insert into the trem to block it solid. That won't give you quite as solid a connection as fixing it rigid. But it's a fast 'n' free approximation. (And also my go to trick for keeping Floyds stable when changing strings).
ibaraki_gaijin is online  

Tags
2550 , pgm , pgm301

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode