A pic of the ol' 555....with a gold OFR :D - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

A pic of the ol' 555....with a gold OFR :D

Unbelievable improvements, and I actually prefer the OFR to the Edge, so for my tastes, this is a very nice guitar...big improvement in sustain and tuning stability...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:08 PM

Yeah, 555s look great with gold hardware. I'd own one.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:12 PM

I like it bro. Good to see someone putting the tutorials to good use. You gonna change the tuning keys as well and other stuff?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Yeah I'll be replacing the rest of the hardware as soon as I find some. I'm kicking myself because I saw a set of gold screws going on ebay a while ago...

lol I didn't realise there were tutorials....It's really not that hard though....you take the TRS out, put the OFR in attach the spring, attach the strings, and your ready to go...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 06:46 AM

That makes my 555 look like bloody @ss.

Did you dig out the lion's claw or something?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

No digging at all....does yours not have the lions claw? I thought they all did...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 07:22 AM

I have a lions claw.. just looks like the screws in your trem might hit the bottom if you pull up on the bar. I asked because I don't know if they do hit or if you dig it in a little further so it doesn't scrape.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 08:13 AM

is that an SG underneath your 555? Sure looks like one
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 08:43 AM

I've been wanting to do that to my 555.
But I don't really know which Floyd I should get.
And I have a couple of questions about the OFR model.

The base plate, is it flat like a TRS, or is thick and substantial like an edge bridge? It looks like its similar to the TRS, I thought this was one of the major flaws in de TRS design?

I can't see any major differences between, the OFR and the TRS, can anyone sum up all the differences for me, and why I should upgrade to an OFR (im not pleased with my TRS)

In this dutch online store I can buy a Schaller Floyd Rose, or a Gotoh Floyd rose. Are these the same as the Original Floyd Rose trems?

Thx
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Yup, thats an SG...

No the screws don't hit the claw, it fits perfectly.

The OFR is flat like the TRS, but the bass plate is thicker. It 'works' a lot better, and is (I think) made from a denser material, so the knife edges won't wear down as quick. I am unfarmiliar with Schaller and Gotoh...

Plus it's Gold
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 PM

Thx for the answers

does anyone know about the different brands? And can anyone name more differences between the TRS and OFR?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 04:47 PM

The Schaller has hardened knife edges just like the Edge trems.

I personally wouldn't get one of the OFR's that has the base plate touching the trem posts directly.

I've had my Schaller for a couple of years now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if I wanted to go down the OFR road.

http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1223.htm

or the low profile version

http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1221.htm

Tony
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 11:24 PM

Theres nothing wrong with the original floyds tuning stability at all. Its basically just stiffer than the edge trem, not quite as stiff as the schaller. The fact that the base plate touches the post isnt a problem, its hardened steel anyway, just like inserts

Tags
base plate , edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , gotoh floyd rose , schaller floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode