Pick-up squealing problem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Pick-up squealing problem

Hi guys. just wondered if any of you can help me.

I have a JEM 7Vwh and i'm having some real sound issue when using distortion and the bridge pick-up. as soon as i select it, there is an extremely high pitched squeal (ver unpleasant)..................i've tried different leads, i've stood at the other side of the room using a radio mic, i've tried adjusting the pick-up height, and I've rolled back on the gain (which i don't really wanna do) but nothing seems to work. is this a common problem and do you have any ideas on how i might solve it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may offer

Cheers

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Re: Pick-up squealing problem

Hey Neil.

That's weird. My friend has a Mex Fender Strat that used to do that. It seems that your pickup is excessively microphonic. I'm not sure what would cause that... I would've suggested lowering your pickup, but you've already tried it and it doesn't work. Could it maybe just be a duff pickup that needs changed? How long has this been going on?

On second thoughts you may have a shielding or earthing issue. It could be interference from electrical appliances, e.g. lights, TVs, digital alarm clocks... stage lights are also notorious for causing noise.

Hope this is of some help
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

it started at practice last night. i was wondering if it could've been the amp but it doesn't seem the case..........looks like i'll be buying new pickups by the sound of it. doh

i can't actually get the pick-ups any lower..............the screws would come out. ha ha.

i've stood well away from all sources of possible interference but it still seems to happen. was hoping it was just a wiring issue or somet cheap to fix. he he

Thanks for trying anyway shredder87, it's very much appreciated.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Vendor

Most likely the pickup has gone microphonic. Send it to Dimarzio with $25 and they will replace it. Call them for details.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Rich

Is there a place there'll be a place here in the U.K eh ????

how does it happen...............is there anything i need to do/avoid in the future ????

Cheers

Neil
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Vendor

Got me on the UK.

Heat - bad. Melts the wax and exposes winding to each other, although not always the culprit.

Tags
fender strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode