Pickup volume in different positions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Pickup volume in different positions

I have a Jem7vwh.

I notice that the pickup volume is quite a bit louder when I'm on the bridge or neck pickup only. The other combinations aren't as loud.

What's the solution...lower the neck and bridge a bit? Will lowering those 2 impact tone or gain at all?

Also, stock pickups on the neck & bridge are the DiMarzio Evolutions....what is the middle pickup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM

Re: Pickup volume in different positions

The other positions won't be quite as loud, that's perfectly normal. As long as it's not a huge drop-off, it's fine. If you feel the humbuckers are too loud, you could lower them I guess, but it probably won't equalize the volume.

The middle is an ISCV2, also often called an Evolution Single.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
The other positions won't be quite as loud, that's perfectly normal. As long as it's not a huge drop-off, it's fine. If you feel the humbuckers are too loud, you could lower them I guess, but it probably won't equalize the volume.

The middle is an ISCV2, also often called an Evolution Single.
djohns!!!!! hope you're well dood.

The 7VWH is a rather scooped sounding guitar as it is. If the middle pickup is sunk, it tends to pull the bottom out of the 2,3, and 4 positions. You end up with a lot more treble than bass leftover. I used to do it that way, and suddenly bringing it back up (the single coil) filled the guitar back out again in those tones. I actually did lower my humbuckers too to try and level it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
djohns!!!!! hope you're well dood.

The 7VWH is a rather scooped sounding guitar as it is. If the middle pickup is sunk, it tends to pull the bottom out of the 2,3, and 4 positions. You end up with a lot more treble than bass leftover. I used to do it that way, and suddenly bringing it back up (the single coil) filled the guitar back out again in those tones. I actually did lower my humbuckers too to try and level it.
I personally like running my Evo's in that set up. Humbuckers high, and the single coil low. The single coil gives off great tone, when you roll back the volume knob. Especially when you switch off your overdrive/distortion pedals and use just the amps gain channels. You can still get a very crystal clear tone out of the single coil.

I prefer to do this instead of switching to the clean tone of my amps. I just switch off the overdrive/distortion pedals(my amps gain are set between 6 and 7) and just roll back the volume. Very clear and crisp sounding. Plus with the volume rolled back in 2,3 and 4 positions you can get some very clean tones with just a tad bit of gain.

Obviously when I've got everything on(amps gain, pedals on) I only use the 1 and 5 positions. I want maximum sound and power from the pick-ups.

Also the other reason I lower my single coils(not just on my jem but Stratocasters as well) is because of picking. I hate hitting the single coil, so I lower it completely to the pickguard.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
What's the solution...lower the neck and bridge a bit? Will lowering those 2 impact tone or gain at all?
Run a compressor in front of your amp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode