PICKUPS/AMP FOR JS1000?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

PICKUPS/AMP FOR JS1000??

Thinking of swapping out the original neck pickup in my JS1000 for something with a bit more "oomph" to it - a hair more power. I love Vai's tones and Andy Timmons tones and Joe's heavier lead tones. So - trying to figure out what pickup will sound good in the JS1000. Tone Zone? Breed? Evos? Maybe even a Screamin Demon? Just not sure

also - I used to play in a band that played big clubs and whatnot. Now scaling back to just playing bars - so retiring the head and stack and looking for a small (preferably 1X12) combo amp to use. I hope to use pedals (I have a Satchurator, Jemini and BB PReamp) - so anybody got any good suggestions so that I can get monster tone out of these pedals with a good 1X12 combo??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Re: PICKUPS/AMP FOR JS1000??

using the pedals as an extra solo boost gets that really fluid tone, i like to do that with my boss super overdrive on top of the overdrive amp channels for solos(i have a marshall tsl601 that i love, its really versatile and superb tone, highly recommend)

pickups for a heavy lead tone id say tone zone would be cool, screamin demons are great loads of harmonics, but breeds should cover that all round tone for what you want id say, happy hunting :-)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't know about the neck position but I swapped out for a Mo'Joe in the bridge of my JS1 and am very happy. It has a bit more oomph but not over the top and the guitar still maintains the unique Satrianiesqe tone. Changing to a Tone Zone (which I have in my Jems) might be pretty hot but the guitar ain't going to sound like a JS any more.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitar4ever View Post
using the pedals as an extra solo boost gets that really fluid tone, i like to do that with my boss super overdrive on top of the overdrive amp channels for solos(i have a marshall tsl601 that i love, its really versatile and superb tone, highly recommend)

pickups for a heavy lead tone id say tone zone would be cool, screamin demons are great loads of harmonics, but breeds should cover that all round tone for what you want id say, happy hunting :-)
slightly off topic, but i use an SD-1 in front of my TSL also for boosts. What settings on the pedal do you use?

I typically use 3 o'clock-max level, zero-9 o'clock drive, and the tone at about 1 o'clock.

Tags
pickup/amp questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode