Pickups for a BSB - yet another pickup topic... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Pickups for a BSB - yet another pickup topic...

I know, I know, another pickup topic about changing them...

Anyway, after having had my bsb for a while I've come to the conclusion that evo's just aren't for me, and that they sound too harsh and bright to my ears in my BSB. I played welshpete's VDY at the weekend, and quite liked the PAF Pro's in it, and after having had a think and look around, I've come up with some ideas for the bridge and neck which are:

Bridge:
Tone Zone (hear lots of good things about them)
PAF Pro(If the the tone zone gets flamed to pieces as an idea)
or
Keep the evolution.

Middle:
a blue velvet.

Neck:
Air Norton
PAF Pro

What I would like is for people to give their opinions on what they think various combinations will sound like, balance well and the like, so I can get an idea of which combinations are best. Any other ideas for combinations are also welcome. I just know that I don't want EMG's, as I have gone of them a lot lately.

If anyone also thinks that any of these are going to sound really foul, please tell me why as well, and describe the tonal characteristics that make them foul...

Thanks in advance,

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 02:09 PM

Pickups for a BSB

I have a Jem777DY that has a basswood body like the BSB does. *I have a Tone Zone in the bridge, Air Norton in the neck and an FS-1 in the middle. *It originally had the PAF Pros of course and a Jem in the middle. *I think the new combo sounds great, I love the Tone Zone and the Air Norton is very warm sounding. *The FS-1 is way better sounding than the Jem middle which lacked any kind of balls at all. *

You might check out the Virtual Vintage Blues in the middle too, its a great sounding pickup thats much higher output than the normal Jem, but it still has a nice single coil clean sound to it.

I agree with you about the Evo's, they are way too harsh sounding, no warmth at all IMO. *A lot of guys are going to swear by Breed's too, but they have way too much midrange for my taste.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Pickups for a BSB

Well I think the unfinished nature of the BSB adds a natural presence to the tone that is not found on any other JEM. I personally love the way that interacts with the already very present Evos. But as you're trying to warm up hte sound I'd suggest a few of these pickups, sticking to DiMarzios cos that's what I know and love. And I'm not gonna suggest the TZ cos everyone else will

The Super3 is a very hot pickup, hotter than the Evolution bridge having an output of 435 mV. It's also wound to be very warm sounding to warm up a scooped eq section on an amp. It would complement a Super2 or Super Distortion in the neck.

If you can find or special order a "Double Whammy" that's another warm middley pickup but with a reduced output compared to the Evo at only 330mV. It has rolled off treble and a BIG mid range peak.

Another bridge pickup to look at is the regular Norton. It has a warm tone and a medium/high output at 352 mV

The other think to go look at might be a set of Breeds.

The PAF Pro I think, will still sound very bright in a BSB, especiallyu in the bridge position. If that's what you're really lookin at I think a FRED might be a subtly different *but definately warmer choice.

In the Neck I don't think you can ever go wrong with a PAF Pro, I love the sound of these guys If you want a big high output the Super2 has enough highs so as to not get muddy in the neck position and many folks also love the Air Norton.

Just my 0.02

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 05:25 PM

Pickups for a BSB

Did you try my BFP at the weekend?-that has a Tone zone in it.

If you want to try a few pick ups in your BSB I have
two PAF Pro
Air Zone
Air Norton
PAF
possibly a Tone Zone as well
and a Fast Track1

cheers

Simon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 01:23 AM

Pickups for a BSB

I personally reco the Air Norton-Blue Velvet-Tone Zone combination. I've had that in a few guitars in my day, and it's a great setup! That's pretty much the common J-Custom configuration these days, so you know those pickups must be decent!

Even if you don't go with the Air Norton or Tone Zone, you've gotta go with the Blue Velvet. It's an awesome single coil--it's very balanced, but it has reasonably high output. It blends really well with different humbuckers in split coil modes. I've had Blue Velvets into a RG1200 (basswood w/ Evolutions), a RG570CT (alder w/ AN/SS), a RG1880 (mahogany w/ AN/TZ), and (just tonight) a MA1FM (mahogany w/ Fred/Super3), and it's sounded great in each of them. I keep talking about ripping my VWH and Jem90 apart to put a blue velvet in those middle positions, but alas I'm too lazy to disassemble any guitars that aren't rear-routed!

--B

(Edited by bduersch at 11:45 pm on Jan. 23, 2002)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Pickups for a BSB

Just read another post in the polls section, where a certain balducci said something about a certain steve's special. His description of it sounded quite cool...

What do people think of them? What will it sound like compared to the rest?

SImon, if I can try some out that would be cool, but I'd have to find a way of wiring them up with connectors if you don't mind, so I can switch them without soldering all over the place again and again...

So far the Air Norton-Blue Velvet-Tone Zone sounds cool.

...Why can't there be an easy system to switch pickups and try them out? That would solve all my woes so quickly...

oh well...

James.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 08:34 PM

Pickups for a BSB

The Steve's Special is nice, but it seems a lot more metally than the Tone Zone. If you like John Petrucci's tone, then the Steve's Special is for you.

--B
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 07:29 PM

Pickups for a BSB

I like the PAF Pro in the neck position better than I like it at the bridge. The TZ sounds nice in the bridge position if you're looking for mucho output.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 04:55 PM

Pickups for a BSB

I used to have an '88 FP with PAF Pro's. *Traded it away for a 2001 Jem7VWH and didn't like the brittleness of the ceramic magnet pickups either, so I wanted to get back the great warm tone of the old FP with the Alnico magnet Paf Pro's. *I put a PAF Pro in the neck and I can't recommend this pup highly enough. *Fat, chunky tone with balls, sounds almost like an acoustic when split with the Evolution SC. *For the bridge, I decided to try something new rather than another PAF Pro, so I tried the Tone Zone since I liked Paul Gilbert. *Whoa, that thing was WAY too nasal for me, I mean it sounded kinda thick, but didn't seem too versatile to me. I called Dimarzio and got them to exchange it for a FRED. *They will only exchange once and will consult with you to determine your best fit first. *I am pretty happy with the FRED, I might just use another PAF Pro if I had to do it all over again. *

I am currently getting ready to buy a Blue Velvet for the middle position to even out the volume differences, but I am getting great tones for now. *

BTW, make sure you get the reverse polarity model for the middle pickup. (DP171S for the Blue Velvet)

(Edited by ashlock at 6:58 pm on Jan. 23, 2002)

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pickup , bridge position , coil mode , evolution bridge , john petrucci , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode