Pickups for Jem 77FP - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Cool Pickups for Jem 77FP

I just recieved a 1988 Jem 77FP and unfortuneately the pickups were whacked on it (mix of duncans). I tried a couple of things I had lying around (Fred, Dimebucker) but the sound is just too thin and harsh in my oppinion. I am looking to either restore it with pink or green PAF Pros or Evos. I know pickups are subjective but I was curious if any of you have any insight on to what the difference in the two would be in that model guitar. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Re: Pickups for Jem 77FP

I think the PAF Pros sound really good in that guitar, but Evos probably wouldn't be bad. Maybe a little bright?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks that helps. My complaint on the current pups is they are too harsh/bright. I think I will get a set of PAFs then. F spaced bridge and normal neck correct? This is my first Ibanez so I am having to get used to them...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlh309 View Post
F spaced bridge and normal neck correct?
No both F.

If you think the current pups are too bright, the Evos won't do it for you either. You may want to check out the Breeds.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I may check out the Breeds; I wasn't sure about the F Space on the neck as the nut is right at 43mm. Thanks for that info.. Might just do the PAF Pros so I can hear how it was "supposed" to sound originally. Guess I will get them in that pink
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM

I have my stock pink PAF pros from my Jem if you want 'em. From an -88 Jem7RB But i'm at the other side of the pond, and you mightas well order new, fresh ones. But if all else fails, pm me
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I appreciate it. There is a store here in Austin that has a good selection I will check out. Let me ask you this; what caused you to want to remove the PAF Pros in the first place from the guitar? Was teh sound lacking something? I normally would not ask all these questions and just try a bunch of them as I solder with the best of em but wit the Floyd rose taking of all the strings etc is so time consuming
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlh309 View Post
but wit the Floyd rose taking of all the strings etc is so time consuming
Check out rich's site (ibanezrules) for a how-to on removing the trem without removing the strings.

I think he takes the springs off at the block end, but I take them off at the retainer. Keep the nut locked and you will stay in tune once you put the trem back.
You can do this without plyers, here's how that looks:

Tags
77fp , evo , jem , paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode