Pickups for JS1200 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Pickups for JS1200

I'm working on a JS1200 project and I'm going to buy some pickups for it (I'm going to put the stock pickups in it .... a Fred in the bridge position and PAF Joe in the neck position). The guitar is from a few years back, so has the Edge Pro bridge...not the original Edge.

My question is, what spacing is correct for this guitar? Looking online most vendors seem to be selling regular spaced for these two pickus... I thought F spaced was correct, so i wanted to confirm before buying anything.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Pickups for JS1200

F spaced bridge, regular neck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
I'm working on a JS1200 project and I'm going to buy some pickups for it (I'm going to put the stock pickups in it .... a Fred in the bridge position and PAF Joe in the neck position). The guitar is from a few years back, so has the Edge Pro bridge...not the original Edge.

My question is, what spacing is correct for this guitar? Looking online most vendors seem to be selling regular spaced for these two pickus... I thought F spaced was correct, so i wanted to confirm before buying anything.

Thanks.
The default bridge PU for the 1200 is the Dimarzio Mo' Joe I believe.

Regards,
AK
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 AM

F-Spaced or regular, it doesn`t really make a difference, it is mostly a marketing hoax
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM

From Dimarzio website: dimarzio.com/faq#55/65/7568

"F-spacing refers to the wider of the two spacings. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1-11/16Ē (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well."

The JS1200 has the JS Prestige neck with a 42mm nut so LonePhantom is correct. F-spaced for bridge and regular for the neck.

Furthermore, beyond the 'marketing fluff', the reason for the two spacings (from Dimarzio) "A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didnít line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 PM

The strings will be directly over the pole pieces with a F Spaced 53mm bridge pickup. Kinda looks bad when they are not lined up with the 50mm bridge pickup, though sonically it's difficult to say if there is any difference.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienKarma View Post
The default bridge PU for the 1200 is the Dimarzio Mo' Joe I believe.

Regards,
AK
i was looking on ibby website the other day and noticed pups spec of 1200 has now changed, bridge is the fred and neck is paf joe, looks like the 1200 is being used to replace the 1000 but with different neck pick up, and the mo joe is now only on 2400 and 2410

Tags
dimarzio , fred , joe , js1200 , paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode