PICS of my new FP - (was: World Cup my A$$!! S-C-O-R-E !!!) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

PICS of my new FP - (was: World Cup my A$$!! S-C-O-R-E !!!)

I was bombing around today trying to amuse myself without the wife and kids and looking for used DVDs to buy, and I stopped by a pawn shop I hadn't been in for about six months... and there hanging in the window that's usually full of Samicks and Squires is a lovely Jem 77FP. Turns out it's an '89 and it is filthy dirty - I mean grimy beyond description... but the frets are in exceptionally clean condition (not dressed, just never used) and the trem is very clean under the dirt, and it works... so I figured what the hell and I bought it...

...for $450...

...um, that's $450 CANADIAN - total - including tax

...about $300 US

...with a HSC (not a UV1000, but a nice, clean one) and the trem arm...

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

...so now I have two...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 07:34 PM

Dude I thougt you said you were not going to mention your arse!!!

Well done -congrats on the steal

Post some pics when you get the chance

Cheers

Simon
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 08:25 PM

Wow! Nice score!

I'm kinda jealous. While I'm not a Floral Print kinda guy, I do appreacite
the guitar for what it is! I'd take one myself if I could get it for $300+
tax!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 09:04 PM

That is one heck of a deal!! Closest guitar I've seen to that price new is a Squire or Epiphone (just to put in perspective for our foreign friends what the Canadian $$ is like).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 10:22 PM

Wow,Excellent score.I don't feel so good about my mint 570 pawnshop buy today for 175$(I didn't get a case).Aren't pawnshops fun!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 08:58 AM

You lucky bastard, why did i never spot a jem ina pawn shop
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

she's all cleaned up...

Well, she's all cleaned up and WOW! this guitar is in great shape...

There's no real hardware finish wear anywhere - not even on the neckplate! The trem didn't have any wear on the knife edges, and the trem finish is clean and unmarked... The pickups look great, the knobs and switch tip are clean and unfaded (under the filth!). No noticable fret wear, no scratches on the trem arm, all screws and plates are clean... it's in beautiful shape...

The maple of the neck is clean and smooth and shows no wear. The fretboard's oiled up beautifully after removing the dirt. There are a handfull of BB-sized dings here and there along the edges, and one inch long scrape to the wood on the back edge behind the arm contour, but other than those the body is very clean. This one is cut from a different pattern on the front and headstock than my first FP (the backs are the same pattern), so there's some variety when they're hanging on the wall side by side

I had to completely disassemble the guitar to clean it - the grim even managed to work it's way under the pickguard! I don't know where this guitar was hanging, but it's as if it spent the last 14 years on the wall in a Hard Rock Cafe, too close to the kitchen.

This one is a little lighter than my '90, and a little more resonant, with a slightly brighter and louder acoustic tone. I've shimmed the neck slightly and set it up so that there's really no difference between the two as far as playability is concerned - I have no problem adapting to the Edge trem on this guitar (as opposed to the Lo Pro on my '90 model); I can feel the difference but it doesn't seem to inhibit or bother me...

All and all, I'm pretty damned pleased
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 01:51 PM

Lucky you!
Congrats on a great buy. Pics of both the old and the new one together would be cool
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 03:08 PM

the point is: NEVER CLEAN YOUR GUITAR if you want it to stay like new!
i guess that layers of filth keep the guitar safe from scratches and wearing off
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 12:39 AM

Congrats on the guitar! For $300, that is about 317... What a steal! Congrats again dude!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Pics up....

new one's on the left...

here, the new one's on top...

woohoo!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 07:38 PM

I actually liked the aged look it has
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 07:41 PM

Wow! Great find. Just goes to show that hunting around really pays off!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:09 PM

Great find!

Too bad for anyone near Balt. / D.C. - most of the pawnshops in this area ask ridiculous prices on their higher-end guitars and amps. I saw a fair to poor condition Fender Hot Rod DeVille the other day in a pawnshop for $569.00. It had beer or soda stains and a cig burn on the top and a large beer stain on the grille cloth. Check out the price of a new one next time you're browsing M.F.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:04 PM

All I can say is:

YOU BASTID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, congrats on the SWEEEEET find. I never see anything good in pawnshops around here, and what they have is way overpriced anyway.

And to think, I only paid $1300 for my FP....

Tags
edge trem , fender hot rod , jennifer batten , scarf joint , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode