Pics of REAL Donnie F back? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Pics of REAL Donnie F back?

I've got some pics of JS's real Donnie F (from the front). Does anyone out there have pics, posters, advertisements or anything that shows the back of the REAL Donnie F? I've seen plenty of backs from "inspired by" copies, but I don't know if I've ever seen the real back.

I was just about to completely rewire my JS100TR, put in some new pups (PAF Pro and Mo' Joe), pots and caps, and thought while I had it apart I thought why not go ahead and sand it down and do something fun with it. So I'm planning on doing my own "inspired by" Donnie F, but I wanted to make the back as true to original as I plan on making the front.

Any assistance in locating photos of the back would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:58 AM

Re: Pics of REAL Donnie F back?

Hi bud

I have a little hobby of painting replicas of Joes graphic models. And just recently I finished the Donnie F guitar for a fellow Jemsite member. It took quite a while, but taking screen shots on my phone of a certain vid of a concert Joe played back in 92, I was able to get some good shots of the back of the guitar as he handed back to his then guitar tech. So after enhancing lighting etc I was able to piece it together. There is also about 2 second glance of the lower part of it in The Extremist video film clip.
If you PM me I can send the pics to you as well as the finished project of the guitar I painted for Sean on here.

Thank you

Raven
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Reviews: 3

http://www.ibanezrules.com/koch/js3_26.htm

Here you havea good one, by Rich.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchafunkilus View Post
Hi bud

I have a little hobby of painting replicas of Joes graphic models. And just recently I finished the Donnie F guitar for a fellow Jemsite member. It took quite a while, but taking screen shots on my phone of a certain vid of a concert Joe played back in 92, I was able to get some good shots of the back of the guitar as he handed back to his then guitar tech. So after enhancing lighting etc I was able to piece it together. There is also about 2 second glance of the lower part of it in The Extremist video film clip.
If you PM me I can send the pics to you as well as the finished project of the guitar I painted for Sean on here.

Thank you

Raven
That is very kind of you. I appreciate it! I PM'd you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post

Here you havea good one, by Rich.
Thanks for the link. That is a Donnie alright... but not the particular Donnie F of Joe's I'm looking for. I want to try and find the back to this one if I can:

tinyurl(dot)com(slash)jqnv8qz

Sorry... I'm unable to post links yet. I need a few more posts first.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:23 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/818393...57678107634576

Here you go
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That looks great. I appreciate the pics.

So let me ask... I'm thinking about sanding down my JS100TR, and then priming it, but I'm torn as to what I should do next. Should I sketch the design on the primer and then use white, black, and blue POSCA paint pens? Or after I prime it, should I paint the whole thing white and then sketch the design on the white and just use the black and blue paint pens on top of the white? Guidance? Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks again, everyone!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobar View Post
Thanks. That looks great. I appreciate the pics.

So let me ask... I'm thinking about sanding down my JS100TR, and then priming it, but I'm torn as to what I should do next. Should I sketch the design on the primer and then use white, black, and blue POSCA paint pens? Or after I prime it, should I paint the whole thing white and then sketch the design on the white and just use the black and blue paint pens on top of the white? Guidance? Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks again, everyone!
I think Raven (Satchafunkilus) would be best to answer that one... I just play them and leave the painting to him
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Contributor

I don't even really like Donnies but that looks great Sean. I love your Rainforest.
OCDemon is online  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah… that is what I like about Raven’s version… it isn’t TOO clean. Many of the replicas, or I guess I should say “inspired by” Donnie F’s I’ve seen are very close in drawing, but way too clean in painting to the point of almost looking airbrushed. And if you look at Joe’s original, it is rough. Most of the outline thick black is bold and clean, but the more narrow black and mostly all of the blue is very rough and splotchy on the original. So I think Raven’s is much closer to the original than the overwhelming majority of Donnie F copies I’ve seen. So I guess you (or I) have to decide, for a one of a kind guitar, do you want something inspired by that to be as close to the original as possible including imperfections? I wouldn’t call them imperfections… but you know what I mean. Or would you want it to be super clean and tight as if the original design had been “cleaned up” and then mass-produced by Ibanez? I’ve seen so many people talk about some of the replicas as looking “better than the original”. But when it comes to art… can a replica actually be “better” than the original? I think Raven’s front is one of the closest to the original I’ve seen. I’m sure it can be a fine line between staying true to the original, or going extreme in either direction (too clean, or too rough). I’m hoping I can find that balance when it comes time to do mine. Mine won’t be a replica… it can’t be… totally different hardware and it seems virtually impossible to get a clean picture of the original back anywhere, but I’m hoping the paint at least on the front is as close and true to the original as I can get it. It may take a couple of tries, but I’m gonna give it my best shot in a few months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode