Planning to buy JEM555! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Planning to buy JEM555!

Hey!
I'm new here!
I'm planning to buy myself a new guitar. I've been looking at the JEM555. I've played it too, and I really liked it too. I haven't played that many guitars so I can't compare so much. I've only played the strat and the 555, and I liked the 555 MUCH better. So i was wondering if you could recommend the 555 and give me some info about it.

1) Where can I by it?
2) what is the price for a 555?
3) Could you recommend something else, if you think that the 555 isn't a good guitar.

I live in Norway, and a friend of mine is going to Houston for a vacation. So I asked him to buy me a guitar, since the price is much lower than in Norway. The price for a 555 in Norway is over 2000USD...
That's the reason why I want to buy the guitar in the US.

I appreciate every answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Welcome. This guitar is not rated very highly by most folk here. Do a search of the forums and you'll find a lot of discussions about it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 03:28 PM

hey dr D, why don`t you just order a jem off rich harris at ibanez rules, you`ll find that you can probably get a jem 7vwh shipped to norway for around about 2000 euro, i got mine shipped to ireland last year and it cost about 1900 including case and import taxs

it sure beats the pants off a sh!tty 555 for 2 grand
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 06:01 PM

I guess i mite be the guy to comment on this, after my last epic thread about buying wana these geetars. Anyway, for the money, i decided that a 555 is a complete rip. Think about it, this was my whole state of mind last week. In sound control (a big music chain in england), the guitar cost £950. You can bet your life that this is a £600 guitar (maybe even less) as its got vais name on it (the fact that its korean gives it away alone).

I then started to look at the rg series, and i know, they really arnt the best looking guitars but who gives a shi*. I then weighed up a load of these, and i finally bought a rg for £550, which kicks the 555's ass red raw in terms of build quality, edge pro bridge instead of edge pro two. The big selling point on this guiytar are its pickups. The evo's are brilliant. But seriously, you are much much better buying an expensive rg now looking in hind site, unless you can get the jem 555 cheap. (By the way, you CANNOT by 555's in the USA) which is why rich doesnt sell em'.

So, i recommend either a high japanese rg, or if you really want a jem, get your mate to bring back the real mccoy (777) from the US or get one from rich.

As for me... i've fallen into paradise with my rg550. It is so fast its unbelievable, and the pups, hardware and attention to detail are absoulutly fabulous. The only bad thing that i can say about it, is that it is a bit of a ugly fu*cking guitar!!!

I know what its like going round and round the guitar debating scale, so do yourself a favour, get your arse to a music shop, test out Rg's and jems (who gives a damn if you piss of the guy at the shop!!!) and you'll make the rite decision.

Sorry for the essay. I just felt compelled.

Cheers,

Kev
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 11:49 AM

Here in Norway, Norsk Musikk Distrubisjon imports them (and all other Ibanezes)

Here is the link to their site, and veiledende priser (retail): http://www.mamut.com/controls/shop/s...ubgid=1&gid=27
The 555 costs 14595,- NOK

I recommend you check out www.gitarimport.net You'll get a jem 7dbk for the price of the 555 there.

Try to avoid the korean jem, it's way overpriced. You'll get a prestige RG for less than the price of the 555
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 08:59 PM

Dont drop a 1000USD on a 555. It's a good guitar but not worth that price. I got mine for 800 in Taiwan and I thought I was paying a bit too much. (came with case tho)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 PM

You think 1000USD is much...

555 in Norway = 14595 Norwegian Kroner = 2112US$

this country is too expensive
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
. . . (By the way, you CANNOT by 555's in the USA) which is why rich doesnt sell em'. . . .
Actually, even when they were on sale here Rich didn't sell them, and never would.

Rich only handles the high end and Prestige line . . . nothing less.

Mic
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Vendor

I have "standards" to maintain
Rich is online  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:20 PM

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0cyon
You think 1000USD is much...

555 in Norway = 14595 Norwegian Kroner = 2112US$

this country is too expensive
Scandinivia a its best!!

Regards

André

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:53 PM

the 555 is essentially the same guitar as the other so called high end models, if you replace the trs bridge with an original floyd rose it's already better than the high end jems with the inferior edge trem.
so dont be fooled, its a great guitar!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 02:30 PM

A 555 for 2000$US is a complete rip-off. I'm no expert but even I know that. There must be other choices you can consider man.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash the stampede
the 555 is essentially the same guitar as the other so called high end models, if you replace the trs bridge with an original floyd rose it's already better than the high end jems with the inferior edge trem.
so dont be fooled, its a great guitar!
Um . . . you're kidding right? Have you ever PLAYED a 555? It is most certainly NOT comparable to a high-end guitar . . .

They use a less expensive cut of basswood for the body, vine stops half way up the neck (not that I'm a fan of it, but this is to cut cost), the quality control, while better than it was, still doesn't come close to Japanees quality (you'll get a good one, or you'll get crap, depends on the day)

The pups are fine since they are Evos, and of course the bridge isn't as good as an Edge, and to call an Edge "inferior" tells me you've never played a properly set up Edge trem. Best tuning (with locking studs) you'll find and great tone and sustain . . . I'd take an Edge over an OFR any day, but I'll admit swapping an OFR in the 555 to get rid of the awful TRS is the best way to go because you don't have to rout the guitar at all.

Plus, take into account the fact that you're paying a premium price for what amounts to an RG 350 with a vine and a monkey-grip, kind of makes my head spin that anyone would buy one of these new when for LESS cash you can have an RG 2550, or an RG 1550 (where still available) with a better bridge AND better quality, throw in some new pups and you still have not spent what you would spend on a 555 . . .

Mic

Tags
edge pro bridge , edge trem , floyd rose , locking stud , locking studs , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode