Played a nice DBK tonight - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Played a nice DBK tonight

So...I'm going through a de-acquisition phase and selling off a few of "the herd". One of the ones I'm getting rid of is an early 90's RG550. It was a great guitar when I got it and still plays fine but the finish is a little embarassing to play live and I'd really much rather have a Jem.

So I ended up in Guitar Center tonight to buy some strings and picks and they had a used DBK on the wall. I pulled it down and played for a bit and was pretty impressed. I always kind of viewed the DBKs as a knock-off in the same sense of the 555s due to the Breed pickups over the Evos, the obviously cheaper to produce finish and the lack of interesting inlays.

But I'll be damned if the thing wasn't a really great player. The neck felt a little chunkier than my RG550 and it really had great response to it. The only kicker that I noticed was that there was a crack in the headstock near the hole for the locking nut. The back of the headstock was signed by Steve himself and it kind of obscured the flaw a little bit but my Eagle Eye (tm) picked up on it when I was giving it the once over.

They had the thing listed for $850. It was in good condition but the crack is the tough sell on this one. I may go back and make a ridiculous offer of like $500 and see what they say. I'm just wondering if I do that if I'm buying into a horror show a few years down the road.

Either way I think there'll be a DBK in my future...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:04 AM

I'm no expert at all, but I'd never buy a guitar with a neck crack.. just my personal preference... especially it the crack was at the nut!!! I'm sure someone with more knowledge will give the facts, but my mind would never let me have peace about that crack!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Vendor

Whether is opens more or not, you already hit the nail on the head. It's a TOUGH sell.
Rich is online  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:24 AM

Reviews: 5
Hmmm....a few thoughts

1. a sticker price of $850 on a used DBK isn't too great since GC regularly prices NEW ones at $999.99

2. Neck cracks are no fun and probably not worth the risk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 01:47 AM

This Jem sounds like it deserves to be lit on fire.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Whether is opens more or not, you already hit the nail on the head. It's a TOUGH sell.
Dammit....every time you post things like that you make me re-consider my career path and make me wonder whether I should have go into, or at least as a side hobby, guitar repair/low grade refurbing.

Thanks though....I have a knack for finding the little things on guitars like this. Remember the UV777BK that had wear on the neck and I thought it was from the neck being re-seated? Ahhh....paranoia put to good use!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamJem7
This Jem sounds like it deserves to be lit on fire.
now I see how you got your handle!!! ahhh!!! LOL

back on topic... I think alot of these music stores lurk for the next sucker that walks in the door and would pay such a price for a used and damaged dbk.... sigh... just don't let them fool you into thinking its a new earthquake dbk! cause you know, the earthquake ones with the crack are pretty rare!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:30 PM
rvj

Personally, I would'nt pay $850 for a used DBK unless it was super mint, and included the case. Also, I would not buy it due to the neck crack. Neck cracks are repairable depending on the extent of the damage. I have seen repairs that have lasted and others that have'nt. If you're really interested in that particular guitar, offer way less. Or a better alternative would be to seek out a used DBK in better shape for $850.

Tags
locking nut , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode