Playing the Dreams? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Playing the Dreams?

Greetings all. I have been a longtime visitor and have finally decided to post something

My question(s) is this:

I have a DNA and a 10 ( of course some obvious selections too BFP, FP and 7VWH )that I play regularly. Is this something that everyone does or is it just a select few? My #4 DNA has dings, pick scratches and even a somewhat broken volume switch (used for effect).

When I tell people that my main axe is the DNA they are shocked.

For me, and my setup, the DNA is by far the best sounding jem. The 7VWH doesn't come close. I am considering installing a 2meg pot. Techies...is this something that is remotely noticeable or is it an ideological waste of time and money?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:37 AM

Well, you've got #4 of the DNA, you've paid for it. If it'd been my axe, i'd play it just as much as I play my js10th, alot! I thin kmany here play the h*ll out of their (more) expensive guitars.
O
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Satch. I figured maybe the "real" players would utilize their tools.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I keep my "good ones" locked away these days. I think I'd rather not risk damaging them and only play them to give myself a treat.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

jono.

If you don't play them, then why own them? To collect??? No offense intended but, what a waste of a great guitar. I invest so much time into my guitar (DNA) that I expect something back from it. Should it sit there and gather dust, would defeat the intentions of the instrument. It doesn't allow its character to develop.

...going to get a little "touchy-feely" now...

Entertain this perspective for a moment.

If any of you (as I am sure most have) really play, then you must understand the symbiotic relationship that forms between the guitar (or whatever instrument) and the musician.

The wood has certain energies just as we, people, have energies (auras). The more we put into the instrument the more it learns to interpret our style, phrasings, interpretations, etc. Eventually, that union is formed and become an omnipresence, or inherent, primary quality of the guitar. Surely at some point any of you may have picked up an instrument that you might normally consider to be of lesser quality? You then play it and it is magical; it actually speaks to the core of your existence. That voice is the energies of people who developed that special, symbiotic relationship with their instrument.

To allow a beautiful instrument to just exist without stimuli parallels the notion of having a child and then avoiding any type of commitments to or developments of that child.

It may sound like a load of sh*t. However, those of you out there that know the experience just know. It is the segue to separation.

I hope that doesn't sound too elitist but that is my approach and has been for 15 of my 20 years playing. If any of you know Steve, you should talk to him about it. It's called the vine of life for a reason.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Vendor

Must be Dave? Welcome to the Forum
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:13 AM

I've gigged several times with my DNA, and it's still in complete mint condition (sheets of clear static plastic on the back of the guitar and covering the pickguard have worked incredibly well!)

I'm extremely careful of my guitars anyway, but I still need to be able to justify having them, so I'll gig with them all once in awhile. The DNA is scheduled to make an appearance at our New Year's Eve gig actually, so I'll have to dust it off soon.

Basically, if it's the most comfortable guitar for you, and if it sounds the best to your ears, then there is no issue: play it as it was designed to be played!
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:17 AM

Synergy! It's great isn't it?!! She's just sitting there, beautifully, saying 'come play me' and you do, and who cares if there's homework or jobs to do! It's your job to coax beautiful noises out of her, and she'll help you all the way!

(ok, that could be interpreted as something else.. )
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Actually Rich, it is the guy for whom he bought the guitar. Sorry about the confusion. I was afraid to buy it from you so I asked him to do it. Dave doesn't really play guitar. But, we have spoken in the past. All I can offer you is my apology for the misunderstanding regarding a disgruntled employee of mine. Perhaps you remember the story.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Vendor

Getting a faint recollection of an employee that got access to your computer and was bidding all over ebay, and buying a DNA or "something" from me?
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

That would be the one. Real sorry about that man. You did't seem to believe it but sh*t happens. I LOVE the DNA! But my volume knob freaked on me. I was looking at those 2meg pots to replace it. Know anything about it?

Looking for an AANJ neck from any jem for an RG project I'm doing. have anything?
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Vendor

He caused a bit of trouble for me, and no doubt for you, sorry if I came off strong, I really don't remember my reaction! At any rate, don't be a stranger, **** does happen, and often! LOL

I'm putting in a parts order today, I have pots in it, I'll just send you one, but if you want to "upgrade" I really don't know what would be best. Electronics just aren't my strong suit!
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I think the pot is intact. the knob just slips (doesn't stop on 10).
I really need a neck though.

I looked through your parts list. Great site, I visit it daily. I am interested in that 10th you have for sale that is on hold. Now that I feel better about our communications channel (amends made) I will deal with you directly instead of through Dave.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:16 AM
Vendor

I would imagine the internal "stop" is broken then, I'd still replace it unless you really like the effect?

Jem necks aren't the easiest things to come by. There was a DBK neck in the classifieds here earlier this year, no idea if it ever sold or not, a bit pricey.

BTW, I'm very happy you're actually playing the DNA and lovin it. I deal with alot of pure collectors, glass case types, and personally it's never any of my buisness what people do with their toys, but it's nice to hear of the ones that are getting used and enjoyed
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Used...you should see the undergarments that are so often offered at the shows in exchange for a picture with it

...but alas...I am married with children...

Still, like to pretend it's me and not the guitar though.

Tags
aanj neck , air norton , beautiful guitar , custom jem , dna swirl , ebony board , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem neck , maple neck , maple necks , meg pot , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode