Please Help the Newbie! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Please Help the Newbie!

Hi. I don't know the first thing about guitars and I need your help please. I'm trying to identify the guitar I have and its approximate value so I can sell it on (e/b/a/y) or craigslist or somewhere.

I've searched through and read your forums here as well as extensive google searches, but I seem to still find myself at a loss.

This is what I believe to know thus far.

It's an Ibanez guitar, I believe a RG760. It has "shark tooth" inlays. The serial number found on the back is "884361" with no additional letters before or after, (and there are no other identifying numbers elsewhere). It says "Ibanez" on the very top black part and on the back plate, where the serial number is located, along with an address in Bensalem, PA.
On the front under the strings on the gray parts, it says IBZUSA C2, IBZUSA C2, & IBZUSA F2. And on the bottom black thing it says "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents". And I believe the color of it is "Heather Pearl".

Can someone please help me unlock the mystery to the details of this guitar... the things an educated buyer would want to know? Also what it's worth, or what I could sell it for?

Thank you so so so much for your help!

Here are some pics of it, modeled by Chip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rallyette/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Re: Please Help the Newbie!

Well, for not knowing anything about guitars, you did a pretty good job!

It looks like it's an '88 RG760. The "gray" parts under the strings are called "pickups", and those would be stock Ibanez pickups. The black thing that says "Licensed by..." is called a tremolo, or trem, and it would more specifically be what is called an Original Edge trem.

As far as value, these days it could go anywhere from $250-$400.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Hum.... interesting. Thanks!

I'm wondering though, I've read some posts about serial numbers and there are serial numbers that are like F something or C something. What does it mean that mine has no letters?

Also, I think I read in another post that the RG760 didn't come out until 1989, but my serial number of "884361" makes sense that it would be a 1988. Do the other numbers represent anything?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyette View Post
Hi. I don't know the first thing about guitars and I need your help please. I'm trying to identify the guitar I have and its approximate value so I can sell it on (e/b/a/y) or craigslist or somewhere.

I've searched through and read your forums here as well as extensive google searches, but I seem to still find myself at a loss.

This is what I believe to know thus far.

It's an Ibanez guitar, I believe a RG760. It has "shark tooth" inlays. The serial number found on the back is "884361" with no additional letters before or after, (and there are no other identifying numbers elsewhere). It says "Ibanez" on the very top black part and on the back plate, where the serial number is located, along with an address in Bensalem, PA.
On the front under the strings on the gray parts, it says IBZUSA C2, IBZUSA C2, & IBZUSA F2. And on the bottom black thing it says "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents". And I believe the color of it is "Heather Pearl".

Can someone please help me unlock the mystery to the details of this guitar... the things an educated buyer would want to know? Also what it's worth, or what I could sell it for?

Thank you so so so much for your help!

Here are some pics of it, modeled by Chip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rallyette/
That's a beauty!! Jemsite has classified as well!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering though, I've read some posts about serial numbers and there are serial numbers that are like F something or C something. What does it mean that mine has no letters?

Also, I think I read in another post that the RG760 didn't come out until 1989, but my serial number of "884361" makes sense that it would be a 1988. Do the other numbers represent anything?

Thanks again!
F stands for the Fujigen Factory, and C stands for Cort.

It's possible that an '89 model has an '88 number on the backplate.

And yes, you may have luck trying to sell it in the classifieds on here.

It looks like it is in pretty good shape. People will care more about the condition of the parts, and not care as much about a few chips and dings here or there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks again!
88..is the year it was made.the other numbers(4361) means it was the four thousand three hundred and sixty first rg760 made in 1988.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
88..is the year it was made.the other numbers(4361) means it was the four thousand three hundred and sixty first rg760 made in 1988.

Huh... not rare then... bummer.

Thanks for your help guys! How did I do? http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68913

Is there any other "selling points" I'm forgetting to mention?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Huh... not rare then... bummer.

Thanks for your help guys! How did I do? http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68913

Is there any other "selling points" I'm forgetting to mention?
The only problem is that you are required to post a price.

Other things that people will look for will be conditions of frets. Does it have some fretwear? The frets are the thin shiny things on the neck. Look up close at the headstock (pointy thing on top of neck with the tuners). The first few frets could have some "dimples" in them, indicating fretwear. And this is not a bad thing at all, something that happens to all guitars over time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
And yes, you may have luck trying to sell it in the classifieds on here.
It looks like it is in pretty good shape. People will care more about the condition of the parts, and not care as much about a few chips and dings here or there.

Yea... It has some nicks and paint chips in it that my dad tried painting over with mom's nail polish. LOL

How do I know the condition of the parts? I don't play or know of anyone who does. Is the condition guaged by the sound(s) it makes or by something else?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Condition of parts meaning that they are relatively clean, work properly, and no issues.

From the looks of it, everything looks pretty good. People might want a close-up shot of the trem. Switch looks pretty clean. Knobs look pretty clean.

There are many more people on here who are far more qualified than me to tell you much more about it, but you might have to give it a day or two.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

no its not a bummer.its still a nice guitar someone will buy it.i dont deal with rg ibanez.only jems,some of the guys on here will be able to tell you more about price and stuff.or have a look on e.b.a.y see how much rgs sell for
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The only problem is that you are required to post a price.

Other things that people will look for will be conditions of frets. Does it have some fretwear? The frets are the thin shiny things on the neck. Look up close at the headstock (pointy thing on top of neck with the tuners). The first few frets could have some "dimples" in them, indicating fretwear. And this is not a bad thing at all, something that happens to all guitars over time.

Ok... check out my "flickr" page again. I just took a few of that part (the "Fretwear") you're talking about and I can see some little tiny impressions (or wear) under the (L to R) 4th & 5th strings. But it's really really small IMHO. I don't have anything to compare it to though.

Oops... forgot the price. What should I list it at?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:54 PM

That sounds very typical for a little fretwear to be in that location as well. Hard to see because of the flash in the picks, but frets look like they have plenty of life left on them anyway.

As far as price, I don't think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you were in the $350-$450 range for starters.

I am an RG570 whore, and it is a pretty similar model, minus the sharktooth inlays, and a humbucker in the neck single coil spot. The early 90's models go for around $400 pretty consistently. They used to be a little cheaper a few years ago, but for some reason they are going up in price.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That sounds very typical for a little fretwear to be in that location as well. Hard to see because of the flash in the picks, but frets look like they have plenty of life left on them anyway.

As far as price, I don't think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you were in the $350-$450 range for starters.

I am an RG570 whore, and it is a pretty similar model, minus the sharktooth inlays, and a humbucker in the neck single coil spot. The early 90's models go for around $400 pretty consistently. They used to be a little cheaper a few years ago, but for some reason they are going up in price.
Thanks!

Tags
edge trem , floyd rose , ibanez pickups , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode