Please help a pro pick right model!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Please help a pro pick right model!!!

Hello new friends, tone gurus and great players,

I having been playing guitar semi pro for 40 years. I am 54, just retired, and moving to Austin TX in 3 weeks to go pro & spend the next half of my life immersed in music.

I have had at least 40 guitars in my, Les Pauls, Flying Vs, Strats , Teles Prs, etc My main guitar was always a Les Paul into a wah wah into a Mesa boogie.

I play everything from funk, blues ( BB, Albert & Freddy king) heavier blues like Hendrix, Trower, Frank Marino, Johnny Winter SRV etc. I also play hard blues rock like ZZ Top etc.

I also play hard rock but I am not a technically a shredder as play more like Michael Schenker and Gary Moore and although some players consider them shredders, I do not put them in the class of Ynygvie Malsteen, Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Vinnie Moore, and all those cats from that school of shred. I dig playing a little slower with more vibrato.

And of course I love all the greats from Satriani, Val, Steve Morse, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson etc.

I always wanted a Jem and have decided to purchase my first one. For someone not familiar with nuances of different Jems, it is a tad confusing for me. Anyone who can help me understand just a few questions will be so much appreciated.

Here is my first confusion. Please read following review about a beautiful black & red floral Jem77 Steve Vai signature listed on Sweetwaters site for $3499. I do not understand what the reviewer means about the new neck. Should this be a concern and make me look at a different model?.

here is his review

Almost Perfect!
The only thing keeping this from 5 stars is the neck joint. It is beyond me (and most Ibanez fans) as to WHY they decided to go with the old 1980's style neck joint instead of the MUCH better AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) that they use now and have been for years. The AANJ allows for much easier access to the higher frets. MUCH easier to play than this style . I assume Ibanez went with the old style because the original JEM Floral pattern guitar had it.Other than that it is awesome! Fantastic tone, great wizard neck and sustain. I really love it and play it ALMOST as much as my JEM 7V (which has the AANJ). Great addition to the JEM line up.

The Jem 7V is $2999. I am not going to worry about $500 at this stage in my life and just want the better playing guitar.

I would have posted the URLs to both guitars, but because this is my first post, I am not allowed to add links. If you go to Sweetwater and put Jem in search bar on top, you will see the guitars.

They also have these beautiful floral blue jems which are a lot less $1799. Ibanez JEM 77 Steve Vai, Plek'd - Blue Floral Pattern. I noticed these guitars have maple necks. Not sure what else you are losing with the lower cost model.

What is the consensus among everyone which neck they prefer...rosewood or maple? . I get it's individual preference, but I noticed in a photo of Vai that almost all his guitars were Rosewood. Maybe with Jems, Rosewood just sounds better.

We all love the aesthetics of a beautiful guitar, but I always go for playability before looks. Just wondering if the first reviewer was being over critical or is this a serious enough of an issue to go with the white Jem 7v
Can anyone elaborate on what he means?
Anyone who can shred some light would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you feel there are better older models for a specific reason, please let me know year/model. . Tons of Jems on Ebay. For some reason, I always felt that with technology always improving, maybe the "edge" tremelo with locking grovers is a better choice than an older Floyd Rose. I think I read there was even a different locking system used in the 90s.

Thanks so much for anyone who took the time to help me out.

I trust everyone as this is your site.

You guys keep on rocking!!!

BobbyD_NYC Soon BobbyD-Austin TX. I am stoked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Please help a pro pick right model!!!

Sweetwater is a great company to deal with but would highly recommend Ibanezrules for your purchase. It will arrive to you as close to perfectly set-up as you can get and Rich has the 7VWH for $3000 with his gold package set-up.
As for which which JEM, is a matter of preference. Personally, I don't have a problem with the square heel or the All Access Neck joint. Both are comfortable for me. With your experience with Fender and Gibson, I don't think the square heel would bother you much but may find the AANJ a little easier as far as thumb position.
Your main difference will be the body wood. The 7VWH is alder and the FP2 is basswood. to me, the alder has a sweet midrange where as the basswood has a brighter tone. Both great guitars. Personally, I would stay away from the Premium JEMs. There are not Made In Japan and only 1 has the Edge tremolo. None of them have the scalloped frets at 21-24. You can't go wrong with either the 7VWH or the FP2. Both will have the ability to play any kind of music you wish and sound great at anything. Just click the link at the top of the page and Rich will take care of you. Most knowledgeable Ibanez dealer in the US by far and will set it up to however you like.
Best of luck with your journey.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 PM

I find I fondle my guitars. It's important to me. The AANJ joint is friendlier than the metal plate of the old school - but it doesn't affect my playing. The beauty of a Jem is the multiple sound styles they can create. Nothing else I have can do this - and I always thought I needed a heavy mahogany body like yourself for the sustain I wanted. Pfft. Basswood and Evo's have been a godsend to me.

You will want them setup, if not by Rich, by someone who is in the know with Ibanez. Their standard specs are almost double the action height that I like to play with.

In my not so humble opinion, if you're going to Texas, the 7v is perfect, especially if you ever sit in on some fusion that has some country folk. I call mine "priscilla" cuz it's so Graceland. The inlays are very cool as they disappear - only the markers show up when you play it, but your audience see's them all.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 PM

Below is the difference in the neck joint the review talks about. Having both types of Jems, I can say that the AANJ on the 7V is a better design and gives you easy access to all the frets. There is a reason why Vai decided use it on his go-to guitars (EVO and FLO). As far as the Indonesian made Premium models, I heard they are a hit or miss in terms of quality. The only one I ever played did not impress me. I also agree that you will likely need a setup.

If you are in NY, there are a few stores, including SamAsh on 34th street that has both the guitars. I would recommend trying them out to see if they are even your thing.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Sweetwater is a great company to deal with but would highly recommend Ibanezrules for your purchase. It will arrive to you as close to perfectly set-up as you can get and Rich has the 7VWH for $3000 with his gold package set-up.
As for which which JEM, is a matter of preference. Personally, I don't have a problem with the square heel or the All Access Neck joint. Both are comfortable for me. With your experience with Fender and Gibson, I don't think the square heel would bother you much but may find the AANJ a little easier as far as thumb position.
Your main difference will be the body wood. The 7VWH is alder and the FP2 is basswood. to me, the alder has a sweet midrange where as the basswood has a brighter tone. Both great guitars. Personally, I would stay away from the Premium JEMs. There are not Made In Japan and only 1 has the Edge tremolo. None of them have the scalloped frets at 21-24. You can't go wrong with either the 7VWH or the FP2. Both will have the ability to play any kind of music you wish and sound great at anything. Just click the link at the top of the page and Rich will take care of you. Most knowledgeable Ibanez dealer in the US by far and will set it up to however you like.
Best of luck with your journey.
Thanks so much for the detailed info. Humbles me when people take their time to help others. Thanks bro. The reason I love Sweetwater is I am building my second full blown balls-to-the-wall home recording studio. I have dropped so much coin with them, I have a a unique relationship with the corp team and do not even have a sales rep. I you ever need a non Ibanez guitar, PM me brother man. I will get you or anyone else the lowest prices possible from any online dealer. Good energy comes right back at you. The advice everyone gave was priceless.

Thanks again
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd-nyc View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed info. Humbles me when people take their time to help others. Thanks bro. The reason I love Sweetwater is I am building my second full blown balls-to-the-wall home recording studio. I have dropped so much coin with them, I have a a unique relationship with the corp team and do not even have a sales rep. I you ever need a non Ibanez guitar, PM me brother man. I will get you or anyone else the lowest prices possible from any online dealer. Good energy comes right back at you. The advice everyone gave was priceless.

Thanks again
Calling Rich tomorrow. Thanks again for hookup. Crazy **** is you do not even know me or my story. I should post in the intro thread and read what I just went through. It will blow your mind. God has big plans for me and looks like a Jem was part of his vision. I am not some new age hippie. I am a biker and guitarist but you must hear my story because I always feel like I meet a new friend who gets the same thing I am into. FYI...if you know any musicians in Austin, my living room is going to be a full blown, state-of-the-art recording studio . I use Ableton as my Daw. I have killer synths, bass guitars, full set of Roland Vdrums, very cool controllers, my favorite being my wireless midi pickup that will be placed on my Jem. I want to meetup with some pros who want to start the heaviest blues project to hit Austin.I have a full time free rehearsal studio. I need to buy a 6 port rack mounted headphone amp and six new headphones. It will sound like we are gigging at Madison square Garden and the neighbors NEVER hear a peep. I did this with last studio. Sick. So keep me and your Austin friends in mind. I will be relocated in 3 weeks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2112 View Post
Below is the difference in the neck joint the review talks about. Having both types of Jems, I can say that the AANJ on the 7V is a better design and gives you easy access to all the frets. There is a reason why Vai decided use it on his go-to guitars (EVO and FLO). As far as the Indonesian made Premium models, I heard they are a hit or miss in terms of quality. The only one I ever played did not impress me. I also agree that you will likely need a setup.

If you are in NY, there are a few stores, including SamAsh on 34th street that has both the guitars. I would recommend trying them out to see if they are even your thing.

My man...thank you for taking the time to post photos. See, I get that time is money. As I told the other cool cat who posted, you need to hear what I had to endure the past 4 years to get to this point in life. Lets just say I was injured so horrifically after falling off a stage, I was pronounced dead for two minutes and spent 19 days in hospital. Craziest **** you will ever hear. God has BIG plans for me and through music I will express the pain I went through. I am going to kill the blues because it's real **** coming out of my soul. If you know any pro musicians in Austin, as I told my other new friend, I will have a state-of art recording studio in my living room. Keep me in mind if you know some serious ass kicking musicians. Rock on brother man.

Forgot to ask. Are any Ibanez guitars made in the states or are the best guitars from Japan? I love the Richie Kotzen Fender Tele which costs $1499 and that is a Japanese guitar as well. My whole life I would only buy American made guitars. Cheeers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
I find I fondle my guitars. It's important to me. The AANJ joint is friendlier than the metal plate of the old school - but it doesn't affect my playing. The beauty of a Jem is the multiple sound styles they can create. Nothing else I have can do this - and I always thought I needed a heavy mahogany body like yourself for the sustain I wanted. Pfft. Basswood and Evo's have been a godsend to me.

You will want them setup, if not by Rich, by someone who is in the know with Ibanez. Their standard specs are almost double the action height that I like to play with.

In my not so humble opinion, if you're going to Texas, the 7v is perfect, especially if you ever sit in on some fusion that has some country folk. I call mine "priscilla" cuz it's so Graceland. The inlays are very cool as they disappear - only the markers show up when you play it, but your audience see's them all.
Hey Bluedot...you are one cool cat. I been to Memphis and spent 3 days on Beale Street. I got the goosebumps first time I steeped on to that street. Of course, had to check out Elvis's pad while in Memphis. . That was way cool as well. . Up there with going to Hedonism twice in Jamaica. Playing blues guitar in with a live band in your birthday suite should be on everyone's bucket list.

Thanks again for solid advice. Good people on this forum.

Tags
jem77 , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode