Plek'd Jem77FP2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Plek'd Jem77FP2

Anyone ever have their Jem Plek'd? I just purchased a new 77FP2 and opted to have this done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Re: Plek'd Jem77FP2

i have never played a jem that has been plekd but i have played gibsons and masterbuilt epiphones. The plek is cool and all but it really only works right when the fretwork is done right. If your frets are poorly radiused or not seated correctly then the plek is going to grind down a fret that would have been fine had it be seated right.

So it is a tool to make good construction and fretwork even better. So good in, better out. **** in is **** out. (looking at your garbage ass gibson )

the fps seem nice enough, you should look up some of the issues other premiums have had. Any of the premium stuff i have played including the indo made jems have been pretty solid.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...the 77FP2 is a MIJ Jem.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Vendor

A Pleck is an accurate way to do a fret level, no more, no less. It's used so a human doesn't have to perform the task. Pay $100k for a Pleck and after 2 years it's paid off the salary of a good tech and can do them much faster. Pleck is not all in one and somebody still has to finish what they take out of the Pleck, and I have not heard from anybody that has had Sweetwater actually do that level work as all those add on upcharges are very recent. I'm sure it's at least passable, I'm positive it won't be exemplary.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexquinJem View Post
Thanks...the 77FP2 is a MIJ Jem.
my bad I thought you where talking about the blue floral premium for some reason. It should be a great guitar then.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

In the future, the idea of having a quality guitar without PLEK (or similar automated service) will be as desirable as buying a CRT TV is today. PLEK is as much a no-brainer as it gets except for cost, which like any application of technology will drop with scale.

It is more accurate than any human and programmatically removes the least amount of fret material required which humans can't measure or perform.

Sadly over time PLEK will differentiate larger sellers driving mom/pop further into the background though (which is what technology ultimately does in scale).
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
In the future, the idea of having a quality guitar without PLEK (or similar automated service) will be as desirable as buying a CRT TV is today. PLEK is as much a no-brainer as it gets except for cost, which like any application of technology will drop with scale.

It is more accurate than any human and programmatically removes the least amount of fret material required which humans can't measure or perform.

Sadly over time PLEK will differentiate larger sellers driving mom/pop further into the background though (which is what technology ultimately does in scale).
I totally agree!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post

I think you drank all the coolaide and are sloppy drunk on it.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 AM
site founder 0% owner

Nope. Just a realist not a luddite.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Vendor

Must be an elitist if you have to use words the rest of us have to Google, and you know we do.

Sorry, realism is knowing there are 100's are extremely qualified techs that can do a fret level every bit as good as a Plek, but still drinking the coolaide and further spreading the hype of Plek you have obviously bought into. Sweetwater making the ultimate move in that drunks like you will do their advertising for them. And the bottom line is the finish work after the Plek is every bit as important as the level to begin with.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Must be an elitist if you have to use words the rest of us have to Google, and you know we do.

Sorry, realism is knowing there are 100's are extremely qualified techs that can do a fret level every bit as good as a Plek, but still drinking the coolaide and further spreading the hype of Plek you have obviously bought into. Sweetwater making the ultimate move in that drunks like you will do their advertising for them. And the bottom line is the finish work after the Plek is every bit as important as the level to begin with.
These quotes will be fun to review when Ibanez and/or local Ibanez distributors start PLEK'ing their guitars.

In the meantime i guess some abide by the edict stating if Ibanez doesn't do it and/or if Sweetwater does it then IT IS A SCAM FOR DRUNKS ON KOOL AID!

AMIRITE?
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Vendor

The only scam is in perpetuating the falsity that no human can be as accurate as a machine. And as I said, half the job the machine can't do, and still requires skilled human hands.

It's faster, that is all, so it's perfect for high volume operation and the coolaide drunks make it a no brainer for a megalith like SW to to be able to add a list of upcharges.

You'll never see a Plek in Fujigen unless every other manufacturer from FMIC is using one and the hype has permeated the playing world so far they have to. And then it will not matter because, like Gibson, Plek'ing a guitar before the neck has settled is just dumb.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM
site founder 0% owner

Whatever.

I'll tell you this, factory/distributor PLEK'd Premiums would really bolster the Ibanez and Premium brand significantly. Same if they PLEK'd Prestige. You'd still need to hand finish the nut and clearly the fret ends but these are far less skilled and measurements moot. PLEK v2.0 could add those touches though cause CNC > BY HAND.

There is no counter argument sorry.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Vendor

Whatever is the expected reply from you when you get smacked with truth and still drivel things like CNC > BY HAND because you're full of sh!t. All those neck pocket alignment problems as just a quick reference, so how perfect was that CNC? Yea, not.

And don't forget that machinery wears and gets past the point of just replacing a few teflon bits to get it back to accuracy again, if anybody is even doing factory recommended maintenance overhauls on these Pleks.

Your argument is more full of holes than having a lack of counters.....
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

Yeah lets blame the computer/tools & subsequent poor QC for poor management of said tools/workers.

ROTFLMAO at the excuse making.

Tags
plek'd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode