poorly set up 7DBK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

poorly set up 7DBK

I just need to get my frustrations out here;

got myself a JEM7DBK yesterday. my dad bought it for me at a guitar center in the US (we live in europe). Now, my dad doesn't know anything about guitars, so he just bought it.(yes i know.silly of me to buy something I havent tried...but they cost alot more over here)
However, when I got my hands on it yesterday, it was the most poorly set up thing I had ever played. there was a crack in the pickguard, and the volume knob was loose. Tried tuning it, but it was no use.
Just dropped it off at a guitar repairs, so it could get some proper setup. The guy I talked to said that this is typical for ibanez. Almost every new guitar needs a good setup.
Why the hell should I pay another 50$ to set up a guitar that already cost 1100$ ?? f**k ibanez for this!

I'm getting it back on monday...it better play like a dream.
I'll tell you more about it then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:11 AM

Hey dont feel too bad, a good set-up from a good tech will have in shape no time. Ibanez like any factory have good spouts and bad spouts esp with off the line models. Ibanez have a way they ship them put but my guess is like many a "new" guitar...its been sitting, and being abused daily in a "guitar centre"....so even if it came top notch setup from ibanez, by the time every steve vai wanabee :P has whammied his way through the attitude song on saturday mornings, the setup is gonna be off some.

In my experience some "new" guitars are in just as good condition if not worse than used models. It really depends on the shop/store/centre...from what i hear about The Guitar Centre, (if thats where you got it from) it aint good, but I know others that do take pride in their instruments, sales and setups.

i dont know what you can do about the cracked pick gaurd, but the volume pot can be fixed and action, neck, trem angle, etc shuold be great.

Enjoy your new jem dude

track7
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:04 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Guitar Center does no setups and has no on-site repair. THere is a big thread about them in the buyer/reseller area. Good luck with the axe... it should be great once setup properly... glen
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:49 AM

Hey, did your dad pick up that guitar at a Guitar Center in Chicago?
It sounds EXACTLY like one I was looking at, but I refused to pay that
much for it *because* it had the busted volume knob and crack in the
pick guard....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 12:26 PM
rvj

Hmmm, sounds like GC/Villa Park to me....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Guitar Center does no setups and has no on-site repair. THere is a big thread about them in the buyer/reseller area. Good luck with the axe... it should be great once setup properly... glen
Uh....hate to butt heads with the guy that foots the bill for the place....but Guitar Center Boston does set-ups and does on-site repairs. I've had guitars worked on there before. They've got the workbench set up right next to the door. I've also seen repairs being done at their Attleboro store and their Framingham store.

*shrugs*

They have the facilities...and I've even known of them to toss in a set-up before someone came by to pick up a new guitar.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

HEY HEY
Got my jem back from the repairs yesterday, and I must say that the guy who fixed it did a wonderful job. When I got it home, i plugged it into my POD, and played for 3 hrs. The Breeds are really nice, and I love the sounds they produce, combined with the single coil.
I fixed the volume knob myself, and the crack in the pickguard...well...just a minor thing...I can live with that.
With time, I hope to love this guitar as much as my les paul.

Lonely Raven> no..he got it from GC in LA..hollywood I think.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:15 AM

Loving the JEM as much as a Les Paul won't be a problem.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:16 AM

If you are bothered about the pickguard then get a new one, customise it! Make the guitar your own
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

yeah, well...I really dig the mirror! ... too bad about the fingerprints though. means i gotta clean it more often, but hell...it's worth it.

about the les paul... I've been playing it quite some time. and suddenly switching to the 7dbk with a neck that's half as thick...abit awekward. I'll probably get used it after some time. In half a year or so, Im surely addicted to it
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 02:10 PM

Anyone know where to get a DBK pickguard? Mines got a small crack, and for the right price would replace it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 06:16 PM

dont bother.i have the same problem(****ing airlines)i special ordered one from ibanez and the cost was like 150 bucks,so i said **** it.i dont remember,but it may have been more!my guitar was also set up very poorly,but i was so excited about buying a new guitar myself(all my others were used or gifts)
i overlooked it.i regret that now,cuz it has proven impossible to set up.i suspect it was damaged,and they neglected to mention it.1059$ doesnt sound like such a hot deal now!oh well,its my own damn fault,but i would just live with the crack.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:44 AM

Hey...These guys came down on you alot less harsh than they did on me when i posted about my bad set up on my DBK. But i love me JEM just can't keep it in tune (have to take it to Guitar Center and have them deal with it).
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:15 PM

I got my Jem7VWH in less than optimal set up as well. However, there are some quick adjustments you can make yourself that will let you get the playing feel you want, which is something a guitar tech cannot do as well as you. You should do it yourself since you know how your dream set up is. Your guitar should have come with a truss rod tool, so you can adjust the neck yourself. My guitar came with a slightly tight truss rod. I adjusted it carefully until the neck was comepletely parallel to the strings. This should be done in conjunction with adjusting the action, height, angle, and intonation if necessary of the bridge. These are really quick jobs that can bring out the best in any instrument.

Tags
guitar tech , les paul , steve vai , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode