Possible first JEM. Is this type of crack normal? PICTURE - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Possible first JEM. Is this type of crack normal? PICTURE

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

I am pretty sure I will be trading a like new Gibson Les Paul Classic with HSC for a good condition JEMVSBL. The JEM is mint other than a tiny crack that has developed right at one of the two screw holes on the back of the neck/headstock. It does not appear to affect stability but I figured you would all know the deal with this. Is this considered a horrible thing or is it common and nothing more than cosmetic. Again, it doesnt seem to be very bad at all but I want to know everything I can before I trade the Les.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Vendor

The crack between the nut mounting screws is typically from overtightening and those guitars are near impossible to sell down the road [even if they are stable, NObody will pay anywhere near true money for a guitar with a cracked neck].
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

That is disapointing, I really dig the guitar.

Here is a picture to help you see what i am talking about.

http://hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto...c5cbfe120&size

Thanks again for the help on this.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Vendor

Avoid, that's worse than typical.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The crack between the nut mounting screws is typically from overtightening and those guitars are near impossible to sell down the road [even if they are stable, NObody will pay anywhere near true money for a guitar with a cracked neck].
Is there no way to repair that and get it back to perfect working condition?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
it's probably in "perfect" working condition now. you could drill two small holes at either end of the crack (to stop the crack from continuing), perhaps a hole or two (not all the way thru to the front of the headstock preferably) in the middle and then fill with epoxy for a permanent fix then sand smooth... glen
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Vendor

The crack starts and stops at holes

Petrfect working condition or not, try selling it and see how many are interested in buying it, you'll soon learn there will be very few and for minimal $'s.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:20 AM

I dunno, I would try fixing it first. I would try what glen said, just drill another hole or whatever, then just fill in the hole and hairline crack with wood filler or something like that. Then just give it a smooth sand over!
Neck cracks and all that can be repaired, especially one that size. The reselling thing is a problem.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Vendor

The point is unless it's a beat Les Paul it's not worth trading it against another guitar that's got a cracked neck, the fact the crack can or can't be fixed isn't the issue to me. It can be fixed with simple wood glue, but that's not the point.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The point is unless it's a beat Les Paul it's not worth trading it against another guitar that's got a cracked neck, the fact the crack can or can't be fixed isn't the issue to me. It can be fixed with simple wood glue, but that's not the point.
I agree. That would be about an even trade if the VSBL was like new without that crack. I'd save your Les Paul and wait on a better deal to roll around. If it's a VSBL you're looking for, they're not real hard to find.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Great info guys.

I am debating on the trade because I am not looking at it as an investment. The fact is I have come down from 9 guitars to my current 2 and the fact one gets no use bothers me. If I can repair the JEM and have it in perfect working condition I still might consider the trade. At the same time the fact that the Les Paul is 100% mint does bother me. I really wanted to avoid ebay and this worked out perfect seeing we were goingt o meet up for the swap.

Still not sure what to do, other than that small crack the JEM is mint. The LP went for about $1450 and the JEM new I think goes for more than that. Maybe with the crack we come out even
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Vendor

If you trust anything we say then trust this. Avoid the crack like a plague. Not only is it a serious devaluer but one decent shock to the headstock that would normally not do anything to a perfect guitar could be enough to rip the head right off that neck. You may think it's an even trade but you'd be comming out on the very short end of the stick
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Banned

If it's any consilation, I have an RG 570 with an IDENTICAL crack, that has held up the past year through band practices, school events, and lesson transportation that actually plays great. The only difference is, I paid $175 dollars for that guitar. I mean, this thing is yet to give me a problem, but then again I'm 17 and what do I know. Rich has probably been dealing with guitars longer then I've been alive. I don't know if I would make that deal considering the value at stack, and Gibson values only increase with years, as long as they're kept well, where as a Jem with a crack in the neck will only stay the same, at best.

Regards,
Nick
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:02 AM

Oh yeah, theres no question of value at all, no doubt the JEM would be impossible to resell and it wouldnt be worth much if he were to sell it.
But its all up to him, I personally would keep the Les Paul, but thats just me and I like Les Pauls. And they will only grow in value, and you know you will get a good price when you sell it! Les Pauls always go for good prices! But actually if you really want the VSBL, I would wait for a good one to come along, their not too hard to find. I would try and play it first though....you dont wana trade with a perfectly good Les Paul and end-up regretting it!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

What would be a good asking price for this VSBL? Maybe I can keep the Paul and and buy the JEM if the price is right.

Jason

Tags
gibson les paul , gibson les paul classic , les paul , les paul classic , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode