Possible Jem Project in the future. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Talking Possible Jem Project in the future.

Hi everyone, I'm Alex. I'm pretty new to this site and new to the world of guitar building. So here's the story.

For quite a while I've been dreaming about getting and Ibanez S470dxqm in blue. But there was always the problem that I'm used to 24 frets and also the S came with cheap pickups.

Body:
I was looking on evilbay and found a guy that sells Jem bodies routed for a Gotoh or edge pro trem as well as the AANJ. They are out of Poplar but he says he can make them out of Basswood, Alder, or Mahogany. Do any of you have suggestions on which woods I should use? (I know Steve uses Alder or basswood mostly but I find that I really like the cleans that mahogany gives). I will be most likely using the Gotoh Floyd Rose which to my understanding has a large mid boost unless someone can tell me something wrong with that.

Neck:
I'm rather picky when it comes to necks. It's gotta be a wizard neck and it's gotta be unfinished with tung-oil or whatever. I don't want it to feel sticky. I know the Wizard II's are like this but I was wondering about the Wizard prestige's. Are they gloss finished? Sharktooth inlays or vine inlays would be nice but I can't see myself forking out the cash for a Jem neck. I'll settle for dots if I have to.

Trem:
As already stated, I was looking at the gotohs as well as the edge pros and lo pros. Any suggestions?

Pickups:
I saw a set of 3 dimarzio evolutions which interested me. I really like duncan pickups but it seems harder to find those in trembucker spacing. What I really want is a middle pickup that's low enough to not get in the way of my pick. Any suggestions are welcome and I'd really like to hear some suggestions for the whole HSH setup.

As far as construction, shielding, wiring and such, I have a friend who can teach me all that. Hope to hear from you. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Re: Possible Jem Project in the future.

Anyone?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 AM

All your plans sound great! For the trem, I'd personally recommend the Edge Pro (for aesthetic reasons), but I think that most of the people on site swear by the Lo-Pro and Original Edge. Anyways, all those trems + Gotoh are great. For the wood, I'd say Alder because those Evos will sing in that baby. Good luck with your build.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:19 AM

cool idea!

take note though, the S evolution is not exactly the same as the JEM single. how far off it is i don't know.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:02 AM

Reviews: 4

kk i bought a body of him, is it perleguitars/????
i bought a swirl made of polar and it is loely if u buy another wood itll be more expensive and a different swirl cause everyone isx unique
you should get a custom neck liek myself (etguitars.com)
beacuse you choose the specifications and vine can be any color - green or pink , or both!

cheers

cam
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam-Vai View Post
kk i bought a body of him, is it perleguitars/????
i bought a swirl made of polar and it is loely if u buy another wood itll be more expensive and a different swirl cause everyone isx unique
you should get a custom neck liek myself (etguitars.com)
beacuse you choose the specifications and vine can be any color - green or pink , or both!

cheers

cam
Yup perleguitars. It would be more expensive but I noticed he had a basswood one for $160 which is only 10 dollars more than the Poplar. Now should I take into account the different radii of the necks and bridge? I noticed that the gotohs are rated at like 10" or something like that and that kind of worried me. I want an crazy low action like on the RG2550 that I tried in the store.

Thanks for all the help.

Tags
jem , neck , pickups , project , shred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode