Premium JEMs: 70V SFG vs. 77 PBFP - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Premium JEMs: 70V SFG vs. 77 PBFP

Now that we have two Premium JEMs to choose from, which would you choose?

Rosewood vs. Maple, Evolution vs. Gravity Storm, Edge vs. Edge Zero II, appearance, etc.

Personally, I lean toward the SFG spec-wise, but prefer the BFP for appearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: Premium JEMs: 70V SFG vs. 77 PBFP

The SFG gives you something that the other Jem/UV Premiums doesn't hardware speaking (the Edge trem) and a unique look that is not represented on the higher japanese-made Jem models.

It would be my choice (and the correct direction the Premium line must follow; budget reissues with non-original fitted hardware or pick-ups only makes people to discuss about how great the original models were compared to the new ones).
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Box View Post
Personally, I lean toward the SFG spec-wise, but prefer the BFP for appearance.
I think you've hit the nail on the head and I think Ibanez knows that. It's my personal gut feeling for why the PBFP has the Edge Zero II trem and not an Edge, following a move that saw ALL JEMs get the original Edge...

I'd need to play a PBFP to say that I'd be happy with the trem, but it is the one thing that has put me off ordering one so far
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 AM

Personally, I'd get SFG. OE and that color? I'm totally fine with that.

Being that I had a guitar with EZII with ZPS, I have no issues with the EZII, but having various older Ibanezes with the OE and Lo pro, OE is just so much more stable imo. Nothing against EZII, as I think it's a great bridge for people on a budget, but that's like comparing a Ferrari to a Prius.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I love the seafoam green colour, it reminds me of my old Billy Sheehan Attitude Ltd 2 bass. BUT Stevie needed to hit the SFG up with a maple neck first time around
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I love the seafoam green colour, it reminds me of my old Billy Sheehan Attitude Ltd 2 bass. BUT Stevie needed to hit the SFG up with a maple neck first time around
SFG and maple fingerboard? That would be absolutely gorgeous Ibanez needs to learn what people really want Well I can't complain, Ibanez gave me EXACTLY what I wanted (MIJ Roadcore )
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I agree. I love the Seafoam color. It reminds me of a 50's Strat too; gives it a super cool retro look to it.

I would like to play a BFP too. I'm sure it's a great guitar in it's own right, but I can't see why it's $100 more. I guess the graphic adds some complexity to the manufacturing process.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 AM

If you like the color, the SFG is the way to go, it has all the specs of the MIJ Jems minus the scalloped frets.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM

SFG for me. I love maple neck to bits but for these two choices, the SFG wins hands down.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM

It's weird

Some mornings I wake up and love the SFG, others I couldn't imagine playing a guitar like that on stage.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:23 PM

SFG, I'm biased though as I own one. But the FP models have never really appealed to me personally. I was ready to buy a SFG Strat then Steve and Ibanez released the SFG Jem, no brainer really, one of my favourite guitars in one of my favourite guitar finishes, I had to have it. But yeah, SFG all the way. :-D

Last edited by VAI2K; 03-09-2015 at 07:55 PM.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I wish they would reissue the original neon trio. I'd buy all three lol.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Reviews: 2

For obvious reasons, I'm in the SFG camp too.

I have to wonder if the PBFP got the EZII because of all the stolen Edge trems that hit ebay directly after the SFG and then the 24P went to market. Maybe this was Hoshino's "knee-jerk" reaction to that problem?
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 PM

I got a jem 77fp (the new blue one) Sorry to disappoint you all but the one I got is great. Of course I had to do my personal set up ( and I alway do), but the guitar sounds great and feels great. My jem 7vwh is still better but I can't fault the new jem at all. As for the EZII: again, I have 2 guitars with them and they work fine... So, it's either I am really lucky or I spent enough time to set up the guitars...
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santir79 View Post
I got a jem 77fp (the new blue one) Sorry to disappoint you all but the one I got is great. Of course I had to do my personal set up ( and I alway do), but the guitar sounds great and feels great. My jem 7vwh is still better but I can't fault the new jem at all. As for the EZII: again, I have 2 guitars with them and they work fine... So, it's either I am really lucky or I spent enough time to set up the guitars...
I don't think it was luck. The PBFP is a good guitar and can be a great guitar. I've always said that. I have no problems with the EZII. I picked the SFG because it was cheaper AND has the OE.........kind of a no brainer.

Tags
floral 70v 77p pbfp sfg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode