Preserving Signatures? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Preserving Signatures?

Hey, all. I got my Ibanez Jem 7VWH's tremolo cover signed by Vai and Satriani. I was wondering what I can use to attempt to preserve these signatures? The marker Vai used comes off REAL easy. Would clear fingernail hardener or polish work? I'd imagine tape would work, but if you ever tried to take it off, the signatures would come off with it. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:32 PM

I wrapped saran wrap around mine temporarily until I find a more permanent hold.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 06:07 PM

To be honest i would have said to either get is signed somewhere where it wont get warn off (like the truss rod cover or something), or just keep it in a box and dont use it. If its the trem cover, most people i know dont keep it on their guitar anyway!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 09:34 PM

thats funny, i was about to post the same thread! i recently got my jem's back headstock signed by the man and satriani, hehe. im looking for something that will go on the wood, right under the tuning machines? thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Personally, I wouldn't think you'd need to cover that signature behind the headstock. I'm sure that would have a hell of a hard time getting rubbed off. I could be wrong though. Anyone have more suggestions for protecting the trem cover signatures?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 11:46 PM

I've also been interested in the best way to coat the visible part of the tremplate cover - got a vai sig myself.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 04:33 AM

Could you get a thin clear piece of plastic thats about 80% the size of the guard. Lay it down and adhere it with say superglue? making sure it's watertight.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 09:09 AM

You could do that, but then your altering the guitar, which is undesirable. Especially if yo want to re-sell one day (I know I won't resell though).

I was thinking a clear plastic adhesive, like the stuff they put on the pickguards....when it needs replacing, it can be replaced. If removal is neccessary, no problem.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 11:20 AM

I've gotten about 20 various trem covers signed by a bunch of different people (but 7 of them are signed by Vai). I've just gotten replacement covers for the guitars that the covers came from (all but 2 of which are now long gone).

It's easier to get a replacement cover than to hassle with trying to keep plastic or whatever on the signed one.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 11:26 AM

I once got Vai to sign my Jem7vwh backplate too, but it wore off real quick. If I ever get him to sign it again I might preserve the signature by flipping the backplate during regular use, thus removing the constant aesthetic benefit but adding to the potential mystical effect of the signature being closer to the innerts of the guitar. (Or maybe that sounds silly. Yes, it does. But it preserves the signature I guess.) I could always flip it back again for show.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 12:09 PM

I have my trem cover signed also, I put a couple of pieces of wide clear packing tape over it......but I did take it off and bought a new one.....
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:04 PM

Altering the trem cover is hardly altering the guitar, or going to hinder the value.
I'd like to see someone say "nah I'd rather not have Vai's signature on a removable part of a guitar that is Vai's signature model"

:P
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 04:29 PM

Take it off and leave it in the case pocket. You have no need for the cover anyways unless you have a bulbous fatroll like me and it knocks yer whammy out of tune*lol*.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist
Altering the trem cover is hardly altering the guitar, or going to hinder the value.
I'd like to see someone say "nah I'd rather not have Vai's signature on a removable part of a guitar that is Vai's signature model"

:P
Hey, ya never know
But you do have a point. The tremplate is easily replaceable anyway.

How about using like nail polish clear coat drawn ontop of the sig?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:27 PM

i recently had some stuff signed at the HOB show in Orlando and i was told by a pro tech to spray Defthane satin in light misting coats (tape off all parts that you don't want sprayed) and use 600 grit sand paper to smooth it out as it will be a "stuccoed" finish. that is the remedy i'm going to try for the signature i got on the back of the headstock of my handmade Jem77VCM (vine/chrome/mahogany) custom. i took the plate off of my new RG570 and unfortunately he signed it with a black sharpie before i could hand him my silver paint marker . that plate will go on my custom Jem77VRMC (vine/red/multi-color) "DiabloIII".
i plan to take the trem plate off the guitar when in use or just buy a second for use and keep the signed one for display when the guitar isn't in use.

Tags
clear coat , custom jem , ibanez jem , trem plate , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode