Prestige RG655 VS Jem Sea Foam Green - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Prestige RG655 VS Jem Sea Foam Green

I would like to know which one is better quality and the best bang for your buck. I have a feeling that the Sea Foam Green is overpriced and you are paying for the name, just as the white Jem.

The Prestige RG655 costs $1200 and the Jem Sea Foam Green costs $1500. A $300 difference. The Jem Jr is out of the question is a crappy guitar.

Jem Sea Foam Green (Premium)
Wizard 5pc Maple/Walnut neck w/KTS™ TITANIUM rods
American Basswood body
Rosewood fretboard w/Tree of Life inlay
Jumbo frets w/Premium fret edge treatment
Edge tremolo bridge
DiMarzio® Evolution
Chrome Hardware
Made in Indonesia

RG655 (Prestige)
Super Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
Basswood body
Maple fretboard w/Black dot inlay
Jumbo frets w/Prestige fret edge treatment
Edge tremolo bridge
DiMarzio® Air Norton, True Velvet, The Tone Zone
Black Hardware
Made in Japan

The main difference are:

- Super Wizard neck vs Premium neck
- Rosewood vs Maple
- Pickups
- Fret treatment
- Hardware
- Japan vs Indonesia

Everything else included in the Sea Foam Green (Tree of life, Monkey grip, Lion's claw) is mostly looks and will have no effect on tone at all, hence, why they are included in the Jr. The sea foam green doesn't come with scalloped frets either.

If you get an RG655, you can always upgrade to Evolution pickups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Re: Prestige RG655 VS Jem Sea Foam Green

Seems like you've got your choice made already.

Went through similar decisions a year ago and got the 655 from Rich. Played one really good SFG at Sam Ash. Most others I've played had some flaws and issues. Do much prefer the Evolution pickups. 50-50 decision. You need to find a perfect SFG with no intonation issues. If you do, then I'd go SFG.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Vendor

The intonation "issues" have been solved, VWH and SFG, this is as good thread as any to bring it up
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The intonation "issues" have been solved, VWH and SFG, this is as good thread as any to bring it up
The good SFG I played was a great guitar because of the original Edge tremelo. You need to convince Ibanez to take that exact same guitar with specs, rosewood fretboard, Edge and put the new blue floral pattern treatment on it.

THAT guitar would sell like crazy. Or at least I'd buy one from you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Vendor

Nope, somebody has to convince Steve that a change of trem would double sales [I don't think it would]. Just as somebody would have to convince him a Japanese version of the WDP would be in demand, even though it would List at $5k. Ibanez may make suggestions and recommendations but the bottom line is Steve has the final say on specs [I'm not sure he has the final say on where said specs are built].
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope, somebody has to convince Steve that a change of trem would double sales [I don't think it would]. Just as somebody would have to convince him a Japanese version of the WDP would be in demand, even though it would List at $5k. Ibanez may make suggestions and recommendations but the bottom line is Steve has the final say on specs [I'm not sure he has the final say on where said specs are built].
Why is the Bronze package hidden in most of the new guitars? Is the Bronze package actually cheaper that buying the same guitar from let's say, Musician Friend, Sweetwater, etc or is the same cost?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Vendor

Dealer Minimum Advertised Pricing policies. I actually can't publicly say
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The only Sea Foam Green JEM i hav spent time with was a really good guitar, and sounded great; I prefer the Evolutions over the TZ AN combo in the RG655.

I do wonder if the JEM has a higher quality body wood or not, which is something that can't be changed, without changing half the guitar.

That said there's something very reassuring in the long term about the proven Japanese quality over the untested Premium survivability...

Oh, and I heartily recommend going for the highest level set up package from Rich that your budget will allow. It is worth every penny.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:28 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

remember way back when we found out the DBKs had 6-piece bodies... i wouldn't give too much credence to "wood" coming from any country unless it's an Artist series MIJ Ibanez.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Vendor

I remember a factory picture of a stack of bodies and being able to swear one of them looked like a kitchen butcher block, but I remember it was only 1 body.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
I have a feeling that the Sea Foam Green is overpriced and you are paying for the name.
I think you answered your own question. I would never take a Premium over a Prestige. I haven't tried those particular models but I do own 3 Prestige models (RG2550z, RG2570zCAB, S1520) and the Prestige guitars are fantastic. I owned a Jem7vwh and I liked my Prestige models better. Go Prestige man.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
The good SFG I played was a great guitar because of the original Edge tremelo. You need to convince Ibanez to take that exact same guitar with specs, rosewood fretboard, Edge and put the new blue floral pattern treatment on it.

THAT guitar would sell like crazy. Or at least I'd buy one from you.
I had placed an order for a SFG because of the rosewood neck but then realized that color is a little out there so I switched to the Blue Floral. I wish the Blue Floral had the rosewood neck as it looks better and I just seem to visualize the fretboard better than maple.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Rich, seen any containers full of guitars lately?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Vendor

I'll only get news of Japanese containers. China, I could care less, Indo I have Premiums due but I doubt I'd get a call on those, they know what I need most, JEM777's!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I'm just curious, because I have never read what the deal is with Steve and Ibanez. Does Vai actually get royalties on all the Jems? I don't really know how signature versions work. I know Steve had a lot to do with the actual design, so maybe he is like a co-author, and gets a cut of them. Is that normal for Signature guitars, at least with Ibanez?

I suppose this should be its own thread, rather than hijacking this one. I was just curious, and since you seem to have a lot of intimate knowledge, I figured I might as well ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode