Price check please on DNA and Acrilic Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Price check please on DNA and Acrilic Jem

Hey guys. I just aquired a DNA (#45) and one of the acrylic Jems. Both are mint, unplayed, bought and stored as collector items. Cases and all case candy also mint. Would like to know if I got a good deal on them and what the resale value is. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 AM

Re: Price check please on DNA and Acrilic Jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertray View Post
Would like to know if I got a good deal on them
Kind of difficult to tell if you don't tell us what deal you got, don't ya think?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Reviews: 13

Would have to be $400.00 a piece....

-Wolfram
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertray View Post
Hey guys. I just aquired a DNA (#45) and one of the acrylic Jems. Both are mint, unplayed, bought and stored as collector items. Cases and all case candy also mint. Would like to know if I got a good deal on them and what the resale value is. Thanks in advance.
Well, you outbid me on that DNA and I was willing to go to $7000 but their server locked up on me at the last second, so I think you got a good deal. Congratulations on that one - it looked great and I wish I would have won it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Reviews: 25

wow so you got a spare $15k to buy a DNA and a jem20th in one go... Im guessing its for an investment...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Besides researching Jemsite you can always check *bay "completed listings" catagory, but actual sell prices fluctuate all the time. Also craigslist search function can help find asking prices by city or region.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Besides researching Jemsite you can always check *bay "completed listings" catagory, but actual sell prices fluctuate all the time. Also craigslist search function can help find asking prices by city or region.
This is the only true source of what the open market will support with regards to pricing.

My own perception is that the DNA will be a better investment than the acrylic 20th anniversary guitars. Many folks are always clamouring after the DNA (although the re-issue of the swirled Universe has dented the mystique of the DNA somewhat) but the 20th seems to be a "love it or hate it" guitar and there always seem to be more sellers than buyers for that one despite Vai having done a few performances with that model.

The other thing to remember is that the DNAs each have an individual swirl and a "good" swirl will always command a higher price than a "bad" one. Better definition of colours and a more interesting pattern with little bleed seems to generally be held in the highest regard although some folks like what is called "lizard" patterning (lots of little black dots with the white base coat showing through) and others like a far messier more chaotic pattern. Again, my own view of the market is that teh more the guitar's swirl looks like the cover guitar from Passion and Warfare, or the prototype guitar used in the promo shots, the more the individual guitar is worth.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Good analysis, jono.

Peace

Mike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Again, my own view of the market is that the more the guitar's swirl looks like the cover guitar from Passion and Warfare, or the prototype guitar used in the promo shots, the more the individual guitar is worth.
I think that this is a fair comment and I agree - you will always have the odd pattern that will stand out from a purely aesthetic perspective that will get decent money however the bigger money (long term) will generally be based around the likeness to the PAW guitar.

-Wolfram
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Yes, these are investments. I am truely not worthy. Nor would I ever want to bang on one of these as my number one. Thanks guys for the replies. I believe I did ok.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM

nice! Sometimes you just have the extra cash. I missed out on a beautiful PMC, I bid $4600, and was outbid. I KNEW I should have bid $5200, and I wish I hada.\

:,(

Last edited by robare99; 05-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Tags
acrylic , dna , jem , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode