PRICE GUIDE: The Current Value Of Each Jem/UV - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Lightbulb PRICE GUIDE: The Current Value Of Each Jem/UV

Alright guys, so there are a million threads notating different prices for all of the Jems and UV's, but no thread notating the current value of each jem and uv in the same place.

What i want to see, and what im sure other users want to see, is a breakdown of every Jem and UV made, how much they're worth, and how rare and coveted they are.
I'm not looking for a huge drawn-out thread with 500 pages, i just want to know the current numbers and stats for EVERY Jem and Universe.

I think that will also cut down on all of the other threads asking the same queestions of single models.

so pretty much for each model post:

-Current value (per condition)
-Production numbers (rarity)
-Palmrest/no palmrest

etc..

I really look forward to some intelligent responses, that way other jemsiters can use this thread to easily find all of these answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 13
Re: PRICE GUIDE: The Current Value Of Each Jem/UV

OH - this is going to be funny to watch.

Sounds very simple in principle, but this could get very nasty.........good luck. Kudos for trying.

-Wolfram
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Reviews: 1

This is largely depend on where you live. JEM prices in Europe, possibly Australia is a lot higher than Asia and US. Maybe you might want to breakdown by country?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Well I can tell you that no UV has a palmrest. That was a feature unique to the '87 Jem 777's.

I don't follow UV's enough to know which are the most rare, but as a general rule I feel that GR's come up for sale the least frequently and the current UV777's are the most numerous. They are basically always available. The next most numerous would be a UV7BK. I feel like I could find an MKR basically whenever I want one as well.

Pricing is much harder to address, other than defining a range from cheapest (UV777BK) to most expensive (UVMC-RE). The prices within that range vary significantly over time. I've always felt that the only way to gauge market price for a guitar is to follow sales of that guitar over a period of time. This means being diligent about watching sales of guitars from various sources (this site, eBay, Craigslist, etc).

I won't give any prices, but here's my crack at two broadly defined ranges. I might be kind of off on these model numbers.

Availability of guitars for sale (most frequent to least frequent):

UV777PBK, UV7BK, UVMC-MKR, UV7PWH, UVMC-RE, UVMC-ATD, UV7GR

General prices (least expensive to most expensive):

UV777PBK, UV7BK, UV7PWH, UVMC-MKR, UV7GR, UVMC-ATD, UVMC-RE

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 06-03-2011 at 08:30 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 21

This is actually a good idea but it would need real data behind it, not just the subjective opinion of Jem owners or enthusiasts. Perhaps if people who've sold Jems would note what they sold them for, when they sold them, and where.
The used guitar market is wildly variable, depending not only on trends but on economic conditions. I can tell you now that a used guitar will probably sell for more money in a year or so than now in this nasty buyer's market. This thread will likely be filled with tale after tale of recent low-ball offers.
You need real selling prices. This data could be collected by the year of each model and perhaps wieghted and adjusted for inflation accordingly. It might be handy to put this info in the much much much neglected section of this board on dealing with guitar info. I think it was last updated in 2004 and notes the RG1527 as being new.
Anyway....

Side note: maybe the info section of Jemsite can link directly to that nice Ibanez wiki someone's been curating. It's far more comprehensive and much more up to date. Just a thought.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

ya mike thats a sweet idea as well. it will all be very helpful!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Maybe try again..?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 AM

I see one problem with this. The value of money is always changing. I bought my UVMC many years ago, at the time I paid around US$2,000. Today, with the weak US$, it would be US$3,000. Still the same amount for me.

The market is more global than it used to be, eBay is no longer the only way to buy/sell internationally. Some sellers offer additional services - like Rich.

I think the best way is to pay attention to the market.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Some of the production numbers can be found here:
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/spec.htm

And oooold price guide:
http://www.jemsite.com/ads/price.htm#pricing

As The Euphor wrote - the value of money is always changing. We can play along here.

But really them prices... Ebay completed listings + Jemsite's 'For Sale' section -> dial in the the model's name and go through all them prices . Oh, and Rich might have some numbers saved, too !

No point using Vintage Guitar's 'Price Guide'.
Here's some examples:
- 2008 guide says LNG is worth 1400$ to 1600$ (condition low to high)
- 2010 guide says LNG is worth 1500$ to 1700$
-> Good luck finding an exc. condition LNG for 1700$ in 2011!!! And VWH is worth as much...

The idea behind this thread is great, but it's quite difficult perform. There are so many variables that depend e.g of the 'spirit of the times' - one day the neon Jems are a must for most folks and the next day not.

It's elbow grease and going through a massive amount of data found from different sites and finding the medium price that way. But the markets always know todays right price and now they're on buyer's side ...

Tags
ibanez , jem , prices , rarity , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode