price increase for jems? bs - Page 7 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 07:38 PM

Great points and fun reading. I said it when the new releases came out after NAMM. Ibanez's selection is boring as hell. Nothing new or at least nothing earth shattering. The coolest thing for me was the upgrade of the 1527 w/ prestige specs!

Price hikes are lame especially in a twitchy economy. Stable pricing, price reduction or something extra would be nice. Regardless of the reason for price hike,,, I think it could be damaging,, very damaging to Ibanez in general. I've been looking more at other company's and I will say this,,, there is some nice stuff out there for the same money. I don't mind paying big bucks for a nice guitar that performs. Ie. DNA,, beautiful guitars,,, but 5,000 bucks. Wow! Pay 5,000 for Conklin, Abyss or Warrior and the quality and attention to detail is staggering. You don't just raise the prices and offer nothing more than what is was at a cheaper rate.

~A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Vendor

Let's see, they've had GIO, Silver Cadet, Starfield, Artfield, and let's not forget Maxxas, all died horribly. Am I forgetting any?
post #93 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:58 PM

Essentially, all this boils down to is that Ibanez built themselves up from being more of a "budget and copy brand" to a higher-end overseas brand, and now they're trickling back again with a higher number of cheap guitars than they started with. Maybe they'll come up with some other saving-grace model to get people excited about their brand again like the Jem and RG line did for them in the mid-'80's.

The Jem should be around a while longer but Ibanez has a LOT of rethinking to do.

Mike 777 Haug
post #94 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 PM
UV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverMan
I'm just curious, jemsite, what is your motivation for having this site? Not saying that you're right or wrong, but you seem awfully anti-Ibanez.
Really

U
v
post #95 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Can I ask the last time the price of ANYTHING went down? Down never happens, only up
When the AUD went up relative to the Yen/USD, cars here started coming down. When the govt changed the way it taxed certain products (namely electrical), they came down.

It does happen, and there's no reason the consumer should just take it on the chin when it doesn't. I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but here, retailers are seeing their margins eroded as more and more people haggle and price-shop to get the best deal. There's no reason that can't happen with guitars.
post #96 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm just curious, jemsite, what is your motivation for having this site? Not saying that you're right or wrong, but you seem awfully anti-Ibanez.
Just because you like the product a company makes, doesn't require you to agree with the way they run their business.
post #97 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UV
Quote:
Really
So i should close it down 'cause a few newcomers can't come to terms with Ibanez needlessly becoming a 2nd rate guitar company right before our very eyes?

Sorry but I'm not a cheerleader, especially for mediocrity.

At this point the site serves quite a purpose for the community, support (for defective ibanez stuff and the typically poorly setup new Ibz axes) & keeping Ibanez accountable to some degree.

I can tell you this, if Ibanez had this attitude a decade ago, the possibility of jemsite existing would have been null and void... glen
post #98 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

PCs (and maybe MACs too!) have dropped in price
DVD software prices have dropped
cell phone pricing went down w/ more services
long distance phone pricing went down
internet access pricing went down
many food/drinks pricing went down
autos have decreased in price
home electronics have decreased in price w/ more features
video games software & hardware has dropped
many kids & clothing have dropped in price
sporting events have dropped ticket prices
etc.
things that sell POORLY drop in price not rise

in fact rarely do products get WORSE as they get more EXPENSIVE relative to competitive products.
post #99 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:40 PM
UV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
when the site was started ibanez was a thriving company that strove for more than $300 "junk" guitars. masterpieces such as the JEM10 were created. time have changed... glen
When this site was started Ibanez was riding a crest. Tons of endorsements,
people cared about music, yeah and what, business got in the way? Sorry Glen but really, unless Ibanez was a boutique company that stuff goes out the window. They may have been hungry with all of the endorsement models, but they were and are a manufacturer that is in business to make profits. Right now the state of music is in a very different state then back then. Anti music is still popular. Nobody saw the anti music trend coming. Especially guitar manufacturers. Fender had to retool a failure model, the Jazzmaster. A total piece of **** that they abandoned in the sixties.Why, because Nirvana and their likenesses decided that music and playing in key wasn't important. It was all about rebellion, and music came second. A distant second. They didn't want good instruments. They didn't care what note came next in a scale. Garage bands like Hootie flourished. What a disgrace. But it happened. They wouldn't know what to do with a Jem. But you know what? They didn't and don't care. And what happened next was Talman reissues. Not new Jem models. Steve and Joe were and are considered dinosaurs. The rebellion had taken over. You didn't have to be musical to play rock. It's an attitude, not a scholastic program. So one by one the artist models disappeared. Reb Beach? Bye! Paul Gilbert? Bye! Steve Vai? Who the hell is he? Bye! Joe Satrihooochie, who is he? Bye!
So what is the state of music right now. Kids hate what their parents like. Twenty years since the eighties started and all is lost. What is Ibanez to do? Play the game, just like Fender and Gibson does. If it means make Dave Matthews and his like heros, they're there dude. They need to sell instuments. No new Vai fans? Sell something else. It's only wood and some ancient electronics. Who cares what shape it takes on? We have the tools, we'll shape them however the kids want them, just like they did for us. It's a sad reality. We're getting old bud!

U
v
post #100 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

We're all getting old

But the site began in '96 and "jemsite.com" domain purchased in early '97. This was well after the UV was cancelled due to poor sales, shread was dead 6-7 years already and "anti-music" ruling the charts. The glory days were long gone. G3 was just born and created (and the first tour sold REAL well) so not all was bleak, just as it is not today.

In actuality most things remained the same except the attitude and product shipping from Ibanez. Don't shoot the messenger... glen
post #101 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Vendor

Quote:
PCs (and maybe MACs too!) have dropped in price
DVD software prices have dropped
cell phone pricing went down w/ more services
long distance phone pricing went down
internet access pricing went down
many food/drinks pricing went down
autos have decreased in price
home electronics have decreased in price w/ more features
video games software & hardware has dropped
many kids & clothing have dropped in price.
I don't know where you buy your kids but they get more expesive every day!!

Quote:
sporting events have dropped ticket prices.
Yea right, Lincoln Field tickets went up $40 each!

Quote:
things that sell POORLY drop in price not rise.

And these things sell POORLY?!
COMPETITION makes prices drop. Same service for same service. As technology R&D is recovered those prices drop too. No brainer. Comodities go up and down. And the last time a GUITAR price dropped was?
post #102 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

I have provided just a few examples to refute your erroneous statement "Can I ask the last time the price of ANYTHING went down? Down never happens, only up".

Now you're asking which Guitars have dropped in price. MANY have dropped in price, for example the RG7620 listed for more than it's equivalent today.

I have been told by Ibz that "the locking trem guitar market is dead". You have too. Yet which imbicile would then impliment INCREASED PRICES to combat this reality of a dead market.

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB

(unless your goal is to try and deplete sales to an all time low) ...glen
post #103 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
UV

Quote:
We're all getting old

But the site began in '96 and "jemsite.com" domain purchased in early '97. This was well after the UV was cancelled due to poor sales, shread was dead 6-7 years already and "anti-music" ruling the charts. The glory days were long gone. G3 was just born and created (and the first tour sold REAL well) so not all was bleak, just as it is not today.

In actuality most things remained the same except the attitude and product shipping from Ibanez. Don't shoot the messenger... glen
Hey man, no one is shooting you! I'm just being a realist here. Would I buy another UV if I had the cash? You bet your ass! I have 2 without the AANJ.Not what Ibanez is looking for though.
They want the new customers and their friends. It's a tough situation. Keeping old customers happy and catering to the new ones. If quality is an issue, I was totally unaware that Jems and UVs have issues of late. I bought my last guitar 2 years ago, A DBK. It has tremelo problems. I've been talking to Rich about. My only reference to issues. My UVs have had no problems at all and are 10 plus years old, so when my Jem wouldn't return to center after some mild whammy abuse for a couple of light playing years, I thought to come here and get it resolved. That is what is cool about this place. You guys know these instruments. So I did! here I am, hahahaha! But we must face facts, we are fans of a musical genre that today's kids don't relate to. Too bad, ya know. Who knows what tomorrow may bring though. There is always hope.

U
v
post #104 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Vendor

The 7620 had Dimarzio's, next example, apples to apples please.
post #105 of 251 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:21 PM
UV

Ibanez will always be something special. They are one of the few companies that listened to artists and built them what they wanted. George Benson is a friend of mine and he turned me on to Ibanez when they built him a guitar. That goes back to Breezin'. A long time ago. But he was right. Gibson wouldn't give him the right time of day. Him or a bunch of other artists that knew what they wanted. Ibanez listened. A bunch of really cool guitars came out of it. I'm gratetful for it. Not just Jems, but a whole new line of cool axes.
Maybe they're not that hungry anymore. Next!

U
v

Tags
acoustic guitar , andy timmons , beautiful guitar , block inlays , body shape , brian moore , charvel evh , chrome hardware , chrome jem , cosmo hardware , crystal planet , custom guitar , custom shop , darren wilson , double cutaway , ebmm jpm , ebony fingerboard , electric guitar , equipped guitar , ernie ball , fixed bridge , flamed maple , floyd rose , fret size , george benson , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul studio , guitar mag , guitar shop , hoshino gakki , ibanez bass , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , local guitar shop , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , locking tuners , marty friedman , mij guitars , monkey grip , neck scale , neck thru , neck thru body , paul gilbert , paul stanley , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , sam ash , shred guitars , signature guitar , steve vai , swamp ash , trem guitar , van halen , vinnie moore , whammy bars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode