Price of Jems/Universes in other countries? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Price of Jems/Universes in other countries?

I know that prices of things vary in different countries. Someone I know goes to China regularly for business trips, and says some things that are very expensive here are much cheaper over there even though it's the exact same thing. Does anyone know if there are certain countries where one can buy an authentic Jem or Universe for cheaper than here in the US? I'm wary of cheap rip offs, but prices on real guitars fluctuate a lot from country to country. Even the price difference in the UK compared to the US can be huge. I may have the opportunity to study abroad in the near future, and if there are places where I could take advantage of low guitar prices.. That would definite be something I'd want to look into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Reviews: 25
Re: Price of Jems/Universes in other countries?

Well all I know is the Universe Re issue is around $7500 AUD in Hong kong still unsold and about $10,000 AUD in Australia, which got sold instantly... So yeah things are cheaper in Asian countries in my opinion.

Im in Hong Kong as I type this and I have bought many things at a cheaper rate and this is more because of the Aussy Dollar on Steriods....

Its all about timing...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelgath View Post
. . . Someone I know goes to China regularly for business trips, and says some things that are very expensive here are much cheaper over there even though it's the exact same thing. . . .
Some things? What things? If these "things" are Western branded consumer goods, I highly doubt the ones sold in China are "the exact same thing."

Yes, differences exist, but generally speaking, it's tough to find branded consumer products cheaper elsewhere.

Peace

Mike
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah, US has the biggest market for instruments and competition does the work. Smaller countries don't have that luxury. Here in Serbia there's one ibanez dealer that I'm aware of and if you want to buy an Ibanez you have to go through them. The fact that average income is less than 1/6th of the one in US means they sell only few of them each year. Add high import taxes and you get a whopping $3250 for a 7VW.
If there's a country where ibanez is cheaper than in the US it must be Japan.
Cheers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Reviews: 11

Well I got my 7VWh from a store in Canada, I live in Australia. Over here they cost, at the time of purchasing, $5995 AUD...... I got mine from Canada for $2100 AUD. How's that for a saving. (had to pay $300 postage though, but that's nothing considering the saving I made)

Right now they're $4995 so they've come down a bit but I'll never buy an electric from Australia ever again. There's crazy mark ups going on over here.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Well I got my 7VWh from a store in Canada, I live in Australia. Over here they cost, at the time of purchasing, $5995 AUD...... I got mine from Canada for $2100 AUD. How's that for a saving. (had to pay $300 postage though, but that's nothing considering the saving I made)

Right now they're $4995 so they've come down a bit but I'll never buy an electric from Australia ever again. There's crazy mark ups going on over here.
And 8 years ago when I was living in Australia I could have bought that AUD4995 Jem for GBP1665. Today it would cost GBP3100.

So don't confuse pricing with currency fluctuations, you're not comparing like with like. Just be grateful the Aussie dollar is one of the strongest in the world at the moment. It wasn't always that way.

So what the OP is really asking is what currencies is the US dollar strong against. And maybe when the Yen collapses it'll be cheap Jems for all!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM

I don't know offhand of anywhere that sells Jems/Universes lower than in the U.S.

As previously mentioned, Asia is possibly the only place.

Here in the UK they are so expensive, both new and used, that i've often thought about flying out to the U.S. to buy a Jem, as i'd still save a great deal of cash, even with the price of the airfare taken into consideration.
Only possible downside is that i might get pulled up by UK customs!!!

I often see Jems on 'That Auction Site' in the U.S. and available to the UK, which to me seem incredibly cheap, but i worry about the shipping and customs issues.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I doubt there will be any huge pricing differences anywhere, but I just wanted to check.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
So what the OP is really asking is what currencies is the US dollar strong against. And maybe when the Yen collapses it'll be cheap Jems for all!
I seriously doubt a drop in the yen or a significant rise in the dollar will occur any time soon. The fundamentals just aren't there - and probably won't be for a good while. I actually use my RG20th as an indicator of sorts. This sold for $900 in the US in 2007, but to get the same value in yen today it would have to sell for $1,200. The Aussie Dollar looks to be up 20% versus ours too. You guys in Oz and in the UK pay a hefty VAT as well if I'm not mistaken, something we don't have... yet.
And would I trust anything I buy in China? Hell no!

Tags
foreign , jem , price , pricing , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode