Price question again... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Price question again...

Does anybody know why a VSBL cost 100-150 $ more than a VWH when they are basically the same guitar with different colour? (except obony vs rosewood fretboard, but ebony is more expensive). I think the VWH is better finished too, so i donīt know the reason...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 11:59 AM

I agree...I thought the gold hardware and ebony board would offset the sparkle paint cost....Rich will have good insight on this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 02:25 PM

Yeah! What the hell?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 02:47 PM

I'd like to hear this too, as I'm about to buy my first Jem, a used VSBL tomorrow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 03:30 PM

likely the ONLY reason (because sparkle paint is not much more money at all than regular)

Is that it's new. In theory, the VWH should actually be more expensive to produce in material cost, but only by a few dollars.

Like any new model, wait a few years, and it will be cheaper. The VWH when it first arrived was more money (in relation to the economy) than it is now, same with the DBK's, and any new model.

It's not Ibanez changing it so much either, it's the stores, saying, this is new, we can charge more for it probably (though this is purely speculation on my part)

Just like new cars, if I'd bought a 1999 firebird, instead of 1998 (which was the first year of that body style) I would have saved $3200 for the same options.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Vendor

This was beaten to death at length when the SBL debuted, plenty of threads here on the subject.

Bottom line, there are many other factors besides material/production costs that a company uses to decide price points.
Closed Thread

Tags
ebony board , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode