Price of a used JEM7BSB - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Price of a used JEM7BSB

Hello all,

a local guy has an older JEM7BSB for sale. Since I'm not entirely familiar with the JEM-line from Ibanez, how much would it be worth? The seller has a lot of pictures at http: //imgur.com/a/lgL2p (take the space out, cant post yet :/). eBay has a few for sale but this one seems to be in better shape. He is asking 1550€ at the moment. Has a hardcase. Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Price of a used JEM7BSB

Worth is relative (supply and demand). Think of it this way... it's worth far more than any new "Premium" Indo JEM in any country. So go from there.

These are not very common, I'd buy over a used VWH or similar AANJ JEM from this era at the same or higher cost. I owned one and always liked these. Just note the finish can easily wear if that matters.

This one is nice and relatively clean, knobs & strap buttons are not factory (not a big concern though).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i noticed the finish on one of the eBay ones had some pretty rough wear, looked like totally different color at some spots. So it being sensitive explains that as well. Ok, thanks for the info. Gotta sleep on it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Reviews: 3

Great guitar; can't see the pics, but if it is in good condition 1400-1600€ is a fair price. Not a big deal but pretty adjusted.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:43 PM

Does anyone else own a BSB that looks like the one the OP is asking about? I find it strange there are no "burn marks" anywhere and the finish seems to have worn off uniformly across the entire guitar. The only way that is possible is through evaporation or OC polishing by the owner. (The latter is entirely possible.) It looks like a BSB that has been washed which is unusual to my eyes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Does anyone else own a BSB that looks like the one the OP is asking about? I find it strange there are no "burn marks" anywhere and the finish seems to have worn off uniformly across the entire guitar. The only way that is possible is through evaporation or OC polishing by the owner. (The latter is entirely possible.) It looks like a BSB that has been washed which is unusual to my eyes.
Yeah, it looks rather different than the ones I saw on Ebay for sale as well. The guy says in the sales ad that he is the first owner, perhaps he has polished it at some stage. I dunno how this finish would behave if it was hanging on a wall and would have had a lot of UV exposure.

He has all the original knobs and what not as well. But I've decided not to pull the trigger. I've my mind set on a GMC or older BFP at the moment. GMC's seem to be under a rock though, haven't found any for sale anywhere. Though their price might be so high, I probably need to save a little longer extra.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Vendor

That's a possible restain, there were several done when a member here posted the correct stain match and had done his. If it was, it's seen alot of road since.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Hi there,
I (very) recently acquired a 7bsb myself, and i find the one on the pictures pretty used (the stain on the neck completely disappeared, while it still present everywhere on mine). But that just means it bas been p!ayed and loved, while I can wonder why mine did not for more than 20 years ...
As for the Price, is it the original case it comes with, or just 'a' case? I used the fact that mine had no case or paper or any case Candy to lower the price, but 1500€ for a 'complete' set still is IMO acceptable. We don't see many of these pass by...
Cheers,
Jérôme
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromereuff View Post
Hi there,
I (very) recently acquired a 7bsb myself, and i find the one on the pictures pretty used (the stain on the neck completely disappeared, while it still present everywhere on mine). But that just means it bas been p!ayed and loved, while I can wonder why mine did not for more than 20 years ...
As for the Price, is it the original case it comes with, or just 'a' case? I used the fact that mine had no case or paper or any case Candy to lower the price, but 1500€ for a 'complete' set still is IMO acceptable. We don't see many of these pass by...
Cheers,
Jérôme
The ad says in finnish "comes with hard case" so it may be either way. But the seller claims to have bought it new, so I presume its the original case. He has all the other original stuff that are not installed atm as well. Yeah, its pretty rare, and pretty good looking too. Having a technical background I kinda like the screwhead fretboard inlay's as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 PM

I always forget how much I like the look of these.

That one IS very unusually lightly burned, and a refinish wouldn't shock me - maybe one of you guys could say for sure, but I'd imagine carefully sanding the body down and then restaining would lighten most of the burning, while still leaving it most visible on the very edges of the contours (were you wouldn't want to sand much to not round them off). That would also be a possible explanation for a guitar with enough wear to fully remove the color from the back of the neck, but the body in relatively good shape (another explanation would be the neck was just sanded by the owner to remove the color). If it is, though, it looks like a good color match and it was done with quite a lot of care.

I'd be a little leery of paying a premium for the condition though, given the fact that it could be a refinish. Guys who own one - is this wear pattern typical?

Looks like a burn mark ends abruptly once it his the back contour.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

imho with these the finish wear is moot on this model. These look better than any jem sold in years and the wear actually makes them cooler. I'm not sure there is much value or demand for a "mint untouched JEM7BSB" vs played/cared for JEM7BSB. Too many other "collectable models sold around this era.

The waxy stain was going to fade, change and rub off/scratch off, probably why they stopped making them dealers were getting them and customers didn't' like the fingernail scratches on a brand new guitar (this was back when dealers stocked MIJ JEMs in stores).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
imho with these the finish wear is moot on this model. These look better than any jem sold in years and the wear actually makes them cooler. I'm not sure there is much value or demand for a "mint untouched JEM7BSB" vs played/cared for JEM7BSB. Too many other "collectable models sold around this era.

The waxy stain was going to fade, change and rub off/scratch off, probably why they stopped making them dealers were getting them and customers didn't' like the fingernail scratches on a brand new guitar (this was back when dealers stocked MIJ JEMs in stores).
Hey, I'm the LAST guy here who will ever advocate buying a guitar as a collection piece - for me, guitars are meant to be played, and if you're not going to play it, then don't waste your money.

But, I realize a lot of other people DO want to collect guitars, so I guess all I'm saying is, if you're buying one that looks like it may be a refinished player, make sure you're paying "player" pricing, and not paying a premium that the guitar may not warrant.

I don't know what going rate is for a player these days, and at the moment I need another "specific purpose" guitar like I need another hole in my head (one of these would fight for rack space with a rather nice '13 Genesis Series RG550RFR as a "trick" 6-string, which come to think of it I really need to buy some properly garish pickups for), but this is one of the few Jems I wouldn't mind owning. That, the seafoam green, the sparkle blue, and the 90th, I guess...

Tags
jem7bsb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode