Problem with 2003 7Vwh JEM, Possibly New Edge Pro Trem Fault - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 12:23 PM

I think this guy is a fantastic player. I just amazes me how some people can dog this guys playing when they know dam well he can blow them out of the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod927
I think this guy is a fantastic player. I just amazes me how some people can dog this guys playing when they know dam well he can blow them out of the water.
The recording... it's tragic. Not saying he can't play... but I can't distinguish most of it.
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod927
Question;

Why oh why do so many people talk about guitarists as if we are Old West Gunslingers?

It's NOT a contest . . . I don't care if you're faster than I am, it's about getting people to feel sometihng when you play, not how fast can you get from one end of the neck to the other . . . if you can do that playing fast, great, if you can do it with one note (B.B. comes to mind) great.

I said his playing didn't inspire me, I didn't "dog" him, I said he didn't do anything for me, big difference. He's a fine, technical player in my opinion, his chops are pretty over the top, but his playing didn't "speak" to me, it was like listening to a guitar lesson.

I also think something that colored some of our opinions was his egotistical hyping of his own playing, that's a MAJOR turn off to just about anyone, reminds me of something I keep seeing in alt.guitar, but I won't go there. ;-)

Now, enough of me talking off topic on this . . . last post here . . . no longer watching.

Mic
post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic

I also think something that colored some of our opinions was his egotistical hyping of his own playing, that's a MAJOR turn off to just about anyone, reminds me of something I keep seeing in alt.guitar, but I won't go there. ;-)
I think you're onto something there, I think people were reacting to what may have seemed like hot-dogging.

Back to the guitar, I guess it's possible the materials just happened to all resonate in such a way as to absorb rather than promote the vibration of the string. Certainly something one would hope would be picked up by QC, but oh well, these things happen. That's the way the mop flops.

By the way, I won a guitar playing contest a few months ago.
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 06:23 AM

Trem Problem 2003

All,

This is Gary from Melbourne, and I own a JEM Floral and a Satch JS1000, and am/was interested in purchasing a new model JEM.

The comments from Leonard are very interesting because I am now scared to purchase a JEM or any prestige guitar from Ibanez with the new 2003 edge-pro trem.

Can someone please confirm this. There's been 1 confirmation. Surely there are others out there who check out the Jemsite and have Ibanez guitars with the new trem.

I'm new to this forum, but have only had positive experiences with my ibanez guitars. I've inquired about the issue in stores around Melbourne, and already, from Leonard's experiences and 'name' around Australia, the word about the issue is spreading. I'd like to know if any other 2003 Model JEM Guitar owner on this forum has had the same issue.

I've actually seen 'Leonard' play. He's an absolute monster shredder, and still very young (probably around 22/23). I think he's from South Australia, but I've seen him play in Melbourne and Sydney metal festivals.

I know of the bands he used to play in. I don't think he plays for them anymore. By the sounds of it, he's 'copped' out and started playing covers.

Gazza
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 06:30 AM

Re: Trem Problem 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Vaism

Can someone please confirm this. There's been 1 confirmation. Surely there are others out there who check out the Jemsite and have Ibanez guitars with the new trem.

I wouldn't stress over it... it was just one instance that you've heard, and the same with me... This is the only problem I've heard so far. I'll go as far as saying that I believe that these wouldn't have been maufactured if they didn't work... but then again, keeping my 555 in tune...

You're always going to have a dud or two when you build this many things....
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 07:18 AM

like i said, i am a happy owner of a 2003 Ibanez JS1000 with the Edge Pro and everything seems to be okay. i tried a few of the new RG2xxx and RG1xxx Prestige models all of which have the Edge Pro as well and there were no problems in terms of sustain or harmonics, in fact I think the new Prestige line with the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups sustain better than the older models with the V7/V8 - just give it a try at the store and see how it works for you
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 07:35 AM

invasion of the aussies!!
welcome to the forum mate!!

seriously, seems like lately every second new user is from Aus
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Vendor

Quote:

Gazza
Maybe you should read the replies again, because NOone has confirmed any problems with the Edge Pro for sustain and harmonics.
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 02:02 PM

I've got a RG1550 with the Edge Pro and it's very stable, even with the stock posts.

The harmonics are very bright and full.
post #71 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 09:44 AM

Quote:
All,

The comments from Leonard are very interesting because I am now scared to purchase a JEM or any prestige guitar from Ibanez with the new 2003 edge-pro trem.
Welcome to the forum Gazza .

Easy fix for that problem. Buy from Rich in the States. It is cheaper even after insurance and shipping to buy from him than to get a discount here in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
By the way, I won a guitar playing contest a few months ago.
hehe, yeah I read that on your website

wil..
post #72 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:33 PM

Hmm, yes, I must update that site, I've got three more guitars now and the MP3s on there are four years old...
post #73 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 PM

I had complained in this post many months ago that I was not happy with the harmonics on the VWH. Seems like I fixed the problem today.
Perhaps this might help others who are not satisfied with their harmonic content:

My action is very low. And even though the guitar tech lowered the action he failed to do a good job with checking the guitar for harmonic content.

I lowered the pickups today and suddenly the guitar started crying with loads of harmonics. Seems like since my action was low, there was no breathing space between the strings and the pickups. By lowering the pickups I gave more space. This has enriched the harmonics. Now I can play pinch harmonics on any note on the guitar!

I am very pleased.

One thing I am still not fully happy is the whammy bar. I use it a lot and right now it's not behaving too well. Sometimes the notes just get cutoff if I do a rapid whammy on a note. It plays well at certain angles however.

Thanks.
post #74 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Vendor

Simple solutions can sometimes be the hardest to see. In hand it's a no brainer. The pickups were putting a magnetic pull on the strings, shorter sustain, funky tone, etc.
post #75 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt7565
One thing I am still not fully happy is the whammy bar. I use it a lot and right now it's not behaving too well. Sometimes the notes just get cutoff if I do a rapid whammy on a note. It plays well at certain angles however.

Thanks.
If it happens when you're pulling back on the bar, this could again be contributed to your action being too low.

Tags
abalone inlays , alder body , ebony fretboard , edge pro trem , edge trem , fixed bridge , guitar playing , guitar shop , guitar tech , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez steve vai , ibanez steve vai jem , jem bsb , jem dbk , locking stud , music store , output pickup , paf pro , paf pro pickups , paul gilbert , pickup height , pinch harmonics , prestige guitar , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro pickups , rosewood fretboard , steve vai , string lock , trem height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode