a problem with keeping my uv77bk in tune? - its weird man! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

a problem with keeping my uv77bk in tune? - its weird man!

okay, here we go, i think i heard about this one but ignored it... i dont' do a lot of work on guitars so this one of those things you should explain slowly... hehehe
well, my higher strings, G B and E are going out of tune and my nuts--- no funny business here, are locked tight. i can't figure it out... somebody email me or post something for me... this should be in regular help, and if it is, tell me!
hope you have the answer...

thansk
joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 12:20 AM

a problem with keeping my uv77bk in tune?

I had a similar problem,after adjusting the springs(I'll let the pros explain that process) it still would go out of tune.When I looked closely at the lo-pro,I noticed it was touching the corner of the pickguard(binding a little).After carefully scraping a little plastic out of the corner of the guard(carefully) I noticed an improvement.First time I ever noticed such a thing(strange!).Hope you get her tweaked right.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 10:57 AM

Sounds like it might not be set up right.

Are you having a problem getting in tune? *or staying in tune? *two different things.

If the floyd isn't balanced right, you can spend all day trying to get the whole guitar in tune - you get the top strings in tune and by the time you get to the bottom, they're all flat again.

here's what I do:
Use a tuner to get the guitar in tune with itself - even if it's a bit flat - as long as it's evenly flat, it's fine. *

Make the the bridge is level (i test this by locking the trem and pulling up on the G string until it bottoms out against the guitar - it should be about a 4th if the trem is set right)

Once you have the guitar tuned to itself, lock it. *Now go in back and turn both tremclaw screws about 1/4 turn (a little more if the guitar is very flat, a little less if it's only slightly flat). *Then check the tuning . *it should be closer to "440" tuning. *

If it's real close just tune the guitar and you're good to go. *If it's still flat, turn a ltitle more on the claw screws. *If it's sharp, then you went too far, loosen them a hair. *If the high-half of the guitar is close but the bottom isn't, just tighten the trem screw corresponding with that half of the guitar. *(i hope that makes sense)

Hope this helps.
~Kenny

PS: *i leave the back cover off my guitar because i do this at least once a month. *Sometimes with new strings you have to make an adjustment before the strings are fully stretched out, and then again after they're stretched.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 02:05 PM

Try checking out those new posts! I guess they are supposed to help with tuning and such. There's a post about the posts somewhere around here, not too old either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:56 PM

I had a lot of trouble with my UV777BK staying in tune. *It was professionally set up but the G string (no funny business please!!) would always go out of tune when I would do dive bombs. *I tried to play FTLOG and it would always go out of tune when I had to use the bar. *I eventually sold it because of this problem. *A friend of mine said that all of his 7 strings did this. *Oh well. *I would like to get another some day and just not use the bar. *
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:51 AM

All seven strings do not have tuning problems. *First walk through the set up intructions on this site...go to Guitars and follow the links to Set up tutorial...it is very thorough and easy to follow. *IF you don't feel comfortable doing something, don't do it...take it in somewhere on have JEM/UV savvy friend help you out.

IF that still doesn't do it, my recommendation would be to spend some time abusing your trem springs, really lay into the bar UP and Down and stretch/compress those springs till they beg for mercy. *Then unlock your nut, retune, relock and do it again and see where your tuning is. *My guess is that your springs are still not fully broken in yet. *Even if they have been sufficiently used in the past, if not used regularly they tend to develop a little "memory" and you will run into tuning problems. *

This has been the case with both my 2027 and my UV777bk. *The more I use the trem, the better tuning stability I have. *Plus you will find your guitar will play much looser, string tension will be reduced due to the give your springs will have. *

During the set up procedure pay particular attention to your string retaining bar height and follow those recommendations precisely. *An incorrect height will result in pitch changes between your strings with nut unlocked vs. when locked.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 10:51 PM

I had a problem where my Uni was going out of tune constantly...After taking it apart to see if maybe some cleaning was in order, I discovered a crack spreading forward from the treble-side post where it went into the body. The sleeve that the height-adjusting bolts screw into...there was a crack there, and it was flexing with the tension. I work at a repair shop, and it worked out well to fill the crack, and glue it up. It's been playing fine, and it's all good again. I checked another guitar that was having the same problem, and again, there was another crack in his...so, maybe look and see what's up...

Tags
claw screws , higher strings , retaining bar , string retaining bar , string tension , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode