problem with my brand new JS - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

problem with my brand new JS

so i picked up brand new js (BTB) and im having problem with the edge pro setup

when i pull back the whammy bar its hardly have space to go back and it get stuck in the wood

so i openthe tremposts to make the action higher and have bigget angle for the trem to go back

so its either really high action or low with the trem stuck

anyone know how to deal wit it?

could be my guitar have a defect and they didnt cut the wood right??

or maybe... this guitar ment to have the lo pro edge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Sounds like what you need to do is simply loosen the strings and use the screws in the trem cavity to alter the tension of the springs. You will find that you can alter the angle of the trem this way. But make sure you adjust the trem posts downwards again because they may be too high once you've corrected the angle.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

if ill do that than the bridge will go back and ill have smaller angle to pull back

if ill do it the other way the bridge be way out of the right angle

and the bar will hit the volume nut
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:30 AM

It sounds like it's already at an incorrect angle. When set at the correct angle, the bridge shouldn't be flush against the body, but should almost have a bit of a 'ramp' vibe goin' on.

Go here for more info...
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm
Look closely at the second and third pictures and you'll see that the bridge is sort of angled forward a bit. Don't worry, you should have plenty of clear space before you hit the volume knob.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 AM
dex

You need a neck shim.

I can't believe that so many people that have played for years and have several guitars have no basic ideas of guitar setup and how guitars work.

ilia
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Vendor

I had a hard time reading that but make sure the knife edges are actually in the grooves they're supposed to be.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
It sounds like it's already at an incorrect angle. When set at the correct angle, the bridge shouldn't be flush against the body, but should almost have a bit of a 'ramp' vibe goin' on.

Go here for more info...
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm
Look closely at the second and third pictures and you'll see that the bridge is sort of angled forward a bit. Don't worry, you should have plenty of clear space before you hit the volume knob.
Edge Pro not Lo Pro
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:26 AM
dex

For those of you who have a hard time understanding that all he says is that the trem is too low in the cavity and he can't pull back.
When he raises the action so he can pull back - the action is too high and he doesn't like that.
Nothing to do with knife edges, grooves or trem angle.

ilia
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

whuzzup

ok, let me ask this again (that was my friend who wrote the original msg..)

My problem is simple. The Tremolo cant move up (pull up) , because its sort of blocked by the actual guitar wood. there a small wooden step (part of the cavity) behind the bridge, and the bridge keeps rubbing against the wood. that causes zero motion when trying to pull up. the bridge is totally blocked by that part, and you need to really pull HARD to make go sharp.

I also took out the bridge and tried putting it back without any strings on it, while manually moving it up and down. when it goes down, it gets stuck in the wood.

now. when i make the action really high, the bridge gets enough room to move when pulling it back, before it hits the wood. but that takes some REALLY high action.

another way to solve that is to make the trem angle smaller,and it gets so high the trem bar hits the volume and tone knobs. so thats out of the question.

any idea?

could it be they cut the wood wrong? (the part that hits the trem is like an inch, and the solor there peeled off.. u know.. cuz of the rubbing)

thanks
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
is it under warranty? if so get it checked. Without photos, and assuming no installation error, it is possible there is a defect. Make sure the trem is sitting correctly on the posts, with the knife-edge on the trem baseplate in the V-grooves on the posts... glen
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:41 AM
dex

Shim, shim, shim, shim, shim.
Just shim your neck - it's a basic setup issue that can be remedied in 10min by someone (even me) who knows what he's doing.
Google "neck shim" and just do it.

And to be extra anal - No, it's not possible they cut the wrong amount of wood as CNC machines are not prone to errors such as that.
They either ruin the body or cut it to exact spec.

ilia
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
even w/o shims, you should have some pullup available. mistakes are very possible from ibanez, including misplaced studs that could effect the trem.

that said, i don't fully follow the explainations given of the problem. obviously following the setup guide on jemsite is a no brainer as it outlines all of this, including shimming ...glen
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Edge Pro not Lo Pro
Ya mean they've replaced the Lo Pro with something else?

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 12:05 PM

here is the prob

hope it helps

could be the tremposts ware drilled in the wrong place?
too far on the right side

also the problem can be solved by screwing out the tremposts to give bigger angle but that means very high action
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Vendor

Ignore everything but the "put in a neck shim" advice

Tags
acoustic guitar , edge bridge , guitar playing , guitar tech , hoshino usa , neck pockets , neck shim , pro edge , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode