problem with my jem 7vwh: help ! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

problem with my jem 7vwh: help !

ok, i just bought this mint 7vwh a couple weeks ago and i totally love it except that i'm used to the crazy bite of breed pickups.

anyway, i set up the intonation so you can wank on the floyd all day and the strings won't go out of tune ever...sweet! and the action is low, just like all my other guitars. this one for some reason was the hardest to setup.

here's the problem...i'm playing tonight, havin' a good time, until i bend the A on the 3rd string, 2nd fret. it's soooo twangy i can't really get any tone out of the string!!!!! AHHHH !!!! WHAT THE !!!!! it's just not the G string....it's all the strings.....well, not really the low E. and the B string at 2nd fret....forget about it! it's insanely twangy. it's so bad!

yes the strings seem a little lower but the 3rd fret is fine, 4th is fine, and on up....even the 1st fret is fine. it's just all the strings on the 2nd fret.

the only thing that corrects it is raising the trem via the post. but then all my strings are high.

i don't know much about frets but could one be higher causing the buzz....that is the only thing i can think of. do i have a bum jem? i have never seen this in all the years i had guitars.

any thoughts you guys? i'm angry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:38 PM
Vendor

Sure sounds like 3 is high. Fret at the 1st and closely examine the distance between the 2nd and the string. Then do the same at the 2nd. The distances are very small but you can visually tell if they're closer or not. Make sure to check 3 and 4 too, it could be that #2 is low and that 3 is not high in which case they'll all need a level.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

hey rich, thanks, i hope it's not that. if it is, i don't think that is something i can do..... i would have to have it done, right? and i fear that is $$$. i'm ticked off man.

could i take a hammer and pound down the 3rd fret if it looks higher? JUST KIDDING!

DAMNIT! this is really bad. when i first heard it, i thought maybe a string got hooked on the edge of a pickup....that's how twangy it is. i don't even want to play it now. i guess i have to find a luthier.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Vendor

If 3 is just high it's an easy job, so do the inspection!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

it's really hard to tell. at first i thought 2 was low. there is no distance at all when i fret the 2nd fret and look at the distance on the 3rd fret.

how can you tell if 2 is low or 3 is high? and if 3 is high....... what do you do? ever so gently tap it to lower it? sorry if i sound stupid. i have never had a fret problem.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Vendor

Fret 3 check 4, if the distance is much greater than > check 4-5 > then consider 3 is high.

To be positive you'll have to get the neck perfectly straight and use a straight edge to check.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

it looks like 3 is high. distance is greater when i fret 3 compared to 4...barely noticeable...it is hard to tell but it looks like it is higher. file it slightly? or tap it down a little...gently?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Vendor

Nothing gentle about it, smack it Just don't try to crush it. It probably won't go down but you never know. I start at the edges and work toward the middle, if you just smack it in the middle without taking the ends down first it's hard to retrain the fret into the right radius. If smacking it doesn't work then it's time to trim it down. File cuts a little too fast for an amatuer. Take some 220 wet or dry and tape a strip on a popsicle stick. Carefully check every string to see exactly where the fret needs to go down. Block up the trem, slip the stick under and sand away a little at a time. Just unblock the trem to check your progress to make sure you don't go too far. And make sure to check 3 as often to make sure it isn't starting to choke on 4.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

well i smacked it and it didn't do much good. i shaved down the 3rd fret. got better! then a little more! got even better! then a little too much i think cuz now when i fret the 3rd fret....it buzzes a little. so i shaved down the 4th fret a little and it's ok now i think. there is still slight buzz when i now fret the 3rd cuz i shaved it down a little too much i think....but i can barely tell. so i fixed fret 2 and gave fret 3 a little buz in doing so....i think, but it's not bad at all from what i can tell. i think i will check to see how much a whole fret job will be eventually. i think it's expensive.

hey rich, thanks so much for your help man!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:42 AM
Vendor

A decent level should run you about $80 or less. It doesn't need much, just a little touching up. [that's why I told you to constantly check 3, it's easy to go a hair too far]
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

well it's definately playable and plays very well, and sounds good now. but since i'm a perfectionist, i'm having it set by a pro this weekend. found a really great luthier in the city! thanks again Rich!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:21 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
but since i'm a perfectionist,
Is there any other way to be?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:29 PM

Using tools on a mint instrument could hardly be the answer if you ask me... the necks too straight I'd say...had the same problem with my 7VWH only on the G-string...when I set it up myself the problem disappeared...whatever...
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:34 PM
Vendor

Are you assuming a new guitar can't have high frets?! LOL
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 05:38 PM

Maybe I'll sound stupid, but did you check the bow on your neck ?

Ebony and maple are very different in density, and with summer soon coming, the truss of my 90 is always in need of some a small tuning. You can't imagine what 1/8 of a turn on the truss can affect the playability of my guitar.... But I also agree with Rich that there's probably a problem on your 3rd fret. To my mind, it was just enhanced by a "bow" problem. I know I'll maybe be flamed by ebony lovers, but an ebony fretboard on a thin maple neck IS sensitive to temperature and humidity... and needs tuning...

Please tell us the verdict of the luthier you'll see, I'd like to know whether I'm wrong or right on this one, though I can't really tell without seeing !

Tags
ebony fretboard , fret board , guitar playing , high frets , jem bfp , local guitar center , maple neck , neck bow , straight neck , strobe tuner , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode