this is project #3 starting out. yes, #3. if i wasn't busy enough with projects #1, #2 and aleady planning out project #4, not to mention keeping up maintenance on my regular stable (Elvis, Blackie, ect), i'm starting project #3.
it is always so much fun to imagine the different ways to finish a project like this with the plethora of color schemes possible. i haven't been able to save my virtual pics and mock-ups but when i figure out how to i will post a few of the ideas i'm having.
the body is a two-piece alder rear-routed body with all the Jem appointments (grip, claw, pup routes, AANJ, angled jack). pickups will be direct mounted to the body. still deciding on what to use for pickups but leaning towards an EvoII (bridge). haven't decided on the single and neck pups yet. a tele neck style chrome pup for the mid would be pretty cool depending on what colors the body ends up and a Sustianer at the neck has possibilities ......hmmmmm
you can see the body right out of the box with the custom clear pickguard taped to the top and a few pics of the body without it. the back plates were a nice bonus i didn't expect. i'll post (after i get the neck) more info on who is doing the wood work - for now here's the start of this project.
i'm toying around with 3-4 different variations on finishing including having Herc involved in a nice original swirl for the body and headstock (hence the clear pickguard). his swirls are true art.
i put the body and an old 770 neck out just for fun and help inspire ideas. nothing is attatched yet (that neck is going on my modified blue RG560 - project #1).
the neck that is being built for this project will be bird's eye maple, ebony fretboard and dissapearing pyramids in pearl and abalone. style and shape will be standard Jem. i figure since i have no clue on my colors yet that the pearl and abalone inlays should work with almost any color schemes and i don't own a pyramid necked Jem so i couldn't pass up the chance to finally have one of my own.
the pics of the neck and body layed out are after finish sanding and a sealer was applied. it actually looks kinda cool as it is but i am leaning toward paint rather than natural. i have a few natural tops already but no swirls.
i'll keep updating as i make progress. (i used the Rebel flag for contrast against the natural)
you can see the side of project #2. i'll update that thread with fresh pics shortly.