Project #3 underway - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Project #3 underway

this is project #3 starting out. yes, #3. if i wasn't busy enough with projects #1, #2 and aleady planning out project #4, not to mention keeping up maintenance on my regular stable (Elvis, Blackie, ect), i'm starting project #3.

it is always so much fun to imagine the different ways to finish a project like this with the plethora of color schemes possible. i haven't been able to save my virtual pics and mock-ups but when i figure out how to i will post a few of the ideas i'm having.
the body is a two-piece alder rear-routed body with all the Jem appointments (grip, claw, pup routes, AANJ, angled jack). pickups will be direct mounted to the body. still deciding on what to use for pickups but leaning towards an EvoII (bridge). haven't decided on the single and neck pups yet. a tele neck style chrome pup for the mid would be pretty cool depending on what colors the body ends up and a Sustianer at the neck has possibilities ......hmmmmm

you can see the body right out of the box with the custom clear pickguard taped to the top and a few pics of the body without it. the back plates were a nice bonus i didn't expect. i'll post (after i get the neck) more info on who is doing the wood work - for now here's the start of this project.

i'm toying around with 3-4 different variations on finishing including having Herc involved in a nice original swirl for the body and headstock (hence the clear pickguard). his swirls are true art.
i put the body and an old 770 neck out just for fun and help inspire ideas. nothing is attatched yet (that neck is going on my modified blue RG560 - project #1).
the neck that is being built for this project will be bird's eye maple, ebony fretboard and dissapearing pyramids in pearl and abalone. style and shape will be standard Jem. i figure since i have no clue on my colors yet that the pearl and abalone inlays should work with almost any color schemes and i don't own a pyramid necked Jem so i couldn't pass up the chance to finally have one of my own.
the pics of the neck and body layed out are after finish sanding and a sealer was applied. it actually looks kinda cool as it is but i am leaning toward paint rather than natural. i have a few natural tops already but no swirls.
i'll keep updating as i make progress. (i used the Rebel flag for contrast against the natural)

you can see the side of project #2. i'll update that thread with fresh pics shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM

Re: Project #3 underway

Cool, Demon

Look forward to watching this progress. Is it going to have a vine??

You know how I feel about vines
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 AM

So cool, dude
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Cool, Demon

Look forward to watching this progress. Is it going to have a vine??

You know how I feel about vines
thanks Jim.
it's getting the pearl/abalone pyramids for inlays. Elvis (7VWH) and Blackie (777VBK) have vines so i want to go with something different this time. i know you're dissapointed, but i knew i couldn't compete with the custom vine on VBMR so why try?
i should have the neck in hand by months end if all goes well.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nienturi View Post
So cool, dude
it will be awhile before she really starts taking serious shape but i'm pretty excited so far. thanks.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

BTW - it's hard not to keep it natural and do my own Bad Horsey concept with a sustainer and tele pup. one of the mock ups i did was like that and i was impressed how well that looked. i had to use the colored pyramids image they supply as i don't have an image to use for pearl and abalone on ebony fretboard, but it still looked pretty tight.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
thanks Jim.
it's getting the pearl/abalone pyramids for inlays. Elvis (7VWH) and Blackie (777VBK) have vines so i want to go with something different this time. i know you're dissapointed, but i knew i couldn't compete with the custom vine on VBMR so why try?
i should have the neck in hand by months end if all goes well.

Lol......MOP/Abalone pyramids sound ~SWEET~

I'm going to have to cross over from the vine barrier and get my first pyramids one of these days
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm going to have to cross over from the vine barrier and get my first pyramids one of these days
walk into the light...er..i mean pyramids! lol
it seems with that choice of inlays i'm not really locked into color schemes so i can freely decide colors to use.
the only one i'll be locked out of doing (at least from doing it correctly) that i have wanted to do is a GMC. the green vine needs to be there for me on that one. maybe down the road for project #5 or #6 next summer...hmm?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 AM

I love see custom jem projects!!!

where do you get the body??
and... where are your projects #1 and #2?? in any others threads??

(sorry if you said these cuestions but my english is bad)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

you can click on my screenname and find my threads for the other projects. in some of the posts there are links to the pics where you can freely look around my photobucket pics that have lots of my guitar addiction well documented.
let's just say i got it at auction for now and i'll post on those details after the neck is done. i don't want to recommend anyone until i feel 100% confident with my finished experience. so far so good but all in good time.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 AM

cool
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

green or red are two different themes i'm considering. i have no green or red guitars. hmmmm....?
decisions, decisions....
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:37 PM

RED!!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:39 PM

GREEN!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You can't betray the vine, it's not ethical

Do a vine in green....and call it the grape vine (lol....please don't hate me )

More seriously!!!........depends which red or which green you are thinking.

Tags
abalone inlays , angled jack , clear coat , custom jem , custom pickguard , ebony fretboard , jem project , neck pup , standard jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode